shape
carat
color
clarity

if you were interviewing someone about a job position...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
would his/her jewelry persuade your decision about hiring or not hiring that person? let say i was sporting $50K worth of jewelry... :))

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do I get to try it on :naughty: :naughty:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I interviewed a young woman with a giant engagement ring, I might at least fleetingly wonder if she was serious about working hard and putting in long hours, because my assumption is that there's a wealthy man behind the diamond. If I interviewed a man with jewelry with outsized jewelry relative to the position's salary, I would have a similar concern: trust fund? Wealthy wife? Laid off from high-paying job, and cooling his jets while he waits for economic recovery?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my business hiring a new employee is a high-stakes situation. In most situations I can't help but notice jewelry - but really don't recall an instance in which I really noticed someone's jewelry during an interview. Maybe my candidates have just been savvy enough to leave the flashy stuff at home! :wink2:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my business hiring a new employee is a high-stakes situation. In most situations I can't help but notice jewelry - but really don't recall an instance in which I really noticed someone's jewelry during an interview. Maybe my candidates have just been savvy enough to leave the flashy stuff at home! :wink2: So... I don't have a response to that question!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work for a homelessness charity. It includes street outreach (approaching people sleeping on the streets), working with people in homeless hostels, and semi-independent houses where a group of people live but no staff based on site.

If someone wore $50k worth of jewellery, I'd be concerned. This is not a if you got it, flaunt it situation. On the rare days I wear my engagement ring to work, it often gets noticed, and it's about a 1/2 carat centre stone. Most jewellery off the finger isn't noticeable - so I like wearing my diamond earrings.

There have been a couple of cases where staff have been told that they need to tone-down their dress a bit. The idea isn't to come in looking like our clients, but we also should make people feel comfortable rather than us vs them. I imagine staff would be told the same thing if they came in with too much jewellery. I wouldn't be surprised if it hurt them at interview, I know I'd think twice about if they really knew what client group they were applying to work with.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think it would persuade me either way, although I do see Addy's point. I notice people's jewelry all the time, and if I can spend a good amount of uninterrupted time admiring it during an interview, all the better! :bigsmile:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it depends so much on the position that it is impossible to give a straight up, yes/no answer. For some positions, it will have an influence (working with the poor, entry level position, etc). For others, maybe not (banker, lawyer, high level executive position). And, for others, it may even be a plus (any position working with the über rich, where it makes you fit in). It would also depend on the style (is it in your face bling, more discreet pieces, etc).

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
It wouldn't be an issue for me at all.

A couple of the young ladies who work for me regularly wear 'designer' labels and carry 'designer' bags. They don't earn very large salaries, so unless they have trust funds or very rich husbands, I suspect they are fakes.

It might distract me though. I went to a meeting last week with a lady who was wearing an enormous antique cut diamond, I couldn't take my eyes off it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I were hiring someone, if he/she had $50K worth of jewelry on YES it would influence my decision because it's common sense to tone down for an interview and it shows a person's poor judgement. I would wonder, "WHY would this person wear all that when he/she is trying to show skills/experience for a job position?" ***Also, I would be more focused on the jewelry then what the person is saying and because of THAT, I may not even remember what he/she had told me that was meant to influence my decision to hire.***

Of course there's exceptions...like if the person is applying to hand-create jewelry and all the pieces were designed by that person, then yes, flaunt them! There are always circumstances outside-the-norm.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I go on interviews I wear a very simple pendant (no diamonds) or strand of pearls and pearl studs. My attitude about interviewing is, why takes the chance of putting someone off? If someone is willing to alienate people, or is just clueless about how flashy jewelry is going to change how their perceived, I think I'm right to let that influence me a little. Of course there are many factors in any decision, and this has to be a pretty low priority for most people doing hiring.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
There recently was a thread about this. Someone linked an article advising women to not wear expensive jewelry while interviewing.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I have been on a few job interviews lately and I did not wear my engagement ring or anything too flashy. I wore a black suit with a gray camisole and wore it with gray pearl earrings and my wedding band, but no extra bracelets, necklace or even a watch.

I guess it really depends on what field you will be working in. Where I work, I am not allowed to wear jewelery on my hands, so it didn't make sense to wear them for a job interview.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
"let say i was sporting $50K worth of jewelry"

Um, what kind of job? Because if I'm offering you work for less per year than your watch is worth . . . I'm betting you aren't biting.

If your job is to impress, maybe. But fancy schmancy bling might intimidate clients and customers. Depends upon the job.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1322700260|3071905 said:

Um, what kind of job? Because if I'm offering you work for less per year than your watch is worth . . . I'm betting you aren't biting.

If your job is to impress, maybe. But fancy schmancy bling might intimidate clients and customers. Depends upon the job.
SA at a Honda dealership... ;))

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
when i interview for a jewelry position then its the Rolex and largest diamond solitaire ring on right wrist and hand. no more jewelry needed. if im interviewing for non-jewelry job then its gold oval signet ring and gold Omega on strap on right wrist and hand,no more jewelry.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1322703632|3071931 said:
HollyS|1322700260|3071905 said:

SA at a Honda dealership... ;))

I've switched employment to a domestic brand. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results