shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm a princess! hehe

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
No really! ha!

I've been doing my geneology which has been ridiculously easy because I have some pretty strong lines apparently. I never knew anything about my dad's dad, my dad's mom came from denmark, my mom's family was all laid out pretty neatly and I easly went back 15 generations to the founders of brooklyn and beyond back to Holland. I thought that was so cool!!!

Then last night I had a breakthrough... I figured out my grandfather's name and got his father's name and whooooosh... OMG! I have gone back 37 generations in just one branch and over 25 in a half dozen more with records that go back to the 900's! Seriously - I have this wide branch of my history filled with earls and lady's and knights going down different arms of my tree and a couple queens of england! (but we're talking a thousand years ago lol) It's so easy to "research" your history when it is all mapped out already. It is all already there.

I can't wait to tell my dad he's from royalty haha

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Fun, isn't it, Sara? Lucky you to find it so easily, yow. Most people search for years. So who were your queens? Norman or Saxon? Look at the Royal Jewelry forum & pick out your tiara!

Your Dutchmen must have known mine. They came from Holland in 1652 to Manhattan, had estates & a farm there -- a memoir I read, by a sculptor, of his childhood in the 1860s mentions how pretty the remaining house was 200 yrs later (knocked down since then, sigh) -- then were among the founders of Flatbush. I have 2 coin silver spoons with the monogram of my Dutch however-many-greats grandmother -- wonder what they have seen. There were few enough people there that they doubtless knew each other, isn't life funny?

Ancestors on dad's side were among 14 families that bought Nantucket from the Indians -- I WANT IT BACK! :lol: They were whaling captains in the 18th & 19th centuries, some lost at sea, romantic. Recently one of their houses was on the market -- I stumbled on it online -- oh, totally magnificent old Georgian brick townhouse w/a widow's walk. I want that back too.

Your father is gonna get a kick out of your info.

--- Laurie

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know norman's from saxons... lots of essex in my family but lots of wales - one of my greatxgrandpas was the "only welsh king". I didn't even know I had welsh in me - of course before last night I didn't know *anything* about my dad's dad's side of the family other than that there is an american indian in there somewhere but I haven't found her yet!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
How fascinating is that!!! :) My hubby and I have thought it would be so much fun to try and track our lineage-what resources are you using?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
How very cool!! 900s?? I was thrilled that I'd gotten back to the early 1600s!

And you're royalty! My greatest claim thus far is being related to Hoagy Carmichel, song writer of Heart and Soul, which other than Chopsticks, is the most commonly played piano piece of the non-musical!

Heart and Soul, I fell in love with you,
Heart and Soul, the way a fool would do, Madly,
Because you held me tight
And stole, a kiss in the ni-hi-hight....

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I'm a king! ;))

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool. If I was you I'd blame your love of jewels on your genes. Sorry, just used to having gobs of jewels about, have to maintain you know.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, royalty. Nothing but peasants in my background.

stepcutnut said:
How fascinating is that!!! :) My hubby and I have thought it would be so much fun to try and track our lineage-what resources are you using?

First thing, talk to all your living relatives, especially the older ones. If your family has immigrated from another country, be sure and track down the specific village(s) from whence they came (this is so, so vital). Ancestry.com and familysearch.org are some good websites.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess Cehra...congratulations on your newly found royal status. You're very lucky to be able to research so far back into your family history. I keep hitting dead ends due to disappearing grandfathers, name changes with no explanations, and other mysteries that the elders in my family took to their graves.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Kismet|1321394448|3062421 said:
Ooh, royalty. Nothing but peasants in my background.

stepcutnut said:

First thing, talk to all your living relatives, especially the older ones. If your family has immigrated from another country, be sure and track down the specific village(s) from whence they came (this is so, so vital). Ancestry.com and familysearch.org are some good websites.

I see your point. My grandfather traced his family to the 1300's from Basel, Switzerland's church records.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
So cool- princess :D

April20

Ideal_Rock
Dang! I've always wanted to be a princess. Maybe I should trace my ancestry!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I read the title of this post, I, shame to admit, thought that you bought a new princess-cut diamond...

Well, congratulations! How are you feeling now? More regal? It is always interesting to know.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Very fun Cehrabehra! My mom has being doing a lot of genealogy lately, and it appears we are descendents of Dorothea Payne (better known as Dolley Madison!). It has been really interesting!

For anyone curious, she started with ancestry.com and has branched out into other searches from there. It's been reasonably easy on her side of the family (they've been in America for a good long while), rather difficult on my father's side (many recent immigrants from Eastern Europe and Russia).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results