shape
carat
color
clarity

Tacori setting for 1.50 round

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
I purchased an ideal cut 1.50 carat and was thinking of getting the
Tacori HT 2229A setting. It is the one that is called Platinum eternity engagement ring set with round brilliant cut diamonds. It is really pretty, but my questions if you could help are the following.
1. Do you think a 1.50 carat stone is too large for that setting, will it be too much to the eye and not display the diamond enough.
2. The store that I saw it has the exact size that fits my finger. I am so picky because I have large knuckles
that they agreed to sell me that one instead of waiting to have it created again by Tacori. However, the
head right now contains a 1 carat CZ stone. The salesman said the head can also hold a 1.50. I wanted
the jewelry store to set my diamond, instead of having me ship the setting to Tacori. He said they would do
it for me, but my concern is that should I just ship that setting to Tacori, with my diamond and have them
do it so that if a larger head is needed, they can just do it?
3. I was also looking at Jeff Cooper, really simple setting, two little round diamonds on each side, and that
is basically it besides the diamond in the middle(mine). It is pretty, but doesn''t seem to excite me as much
as when I try on the Tacori described above. Do, you think since I spent so much on the center diamond
I should consider the Tacori and really get what I want, or do you think it will be too much diamond showing
and will distract from the main center diamond.

Thank you for any help you can provide

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I think a 1.5 carat stone is going to look beautiful in any Tacori setting. But I would have the setting specifically made with the right size head for your stone, instead of trying to squeeze it into the 1 carat head. I would think that would completely change the look of the prongs.

I have a Tacori too, and it was designed for a 1 carat stone (about 6.5mm), but we ordered the setting from Tacori with a head for a 7-mm stone instead (my stone is 1.34 carats, about 7.15mm in diameter). It only costs about $125 to change the head, and I think it''s worth it - if you''re spending so much on the setting, it should look perfect, not awkward because it''s the wrong size head. I''m actually surprised that the jeweler even suggested it - the jeweler from whom we bought my Tacori warned us that they could squeeze it in, but that it would not look good.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
P.S. My setting is a little more ornate, and my stone is a little smaller, and I don''t think it detracts from the center stone AT ALL, but that''s of course a matter of taste. But if you didn''t think it overwhelmed the 1-carat stone, it certainly won''t overwhelm yours, which is much larger, not to mention real (not a CZ). Don''t get a simpler ring if that''s not what excites you!

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
thank you for answering.

this one definitely excites me more than the Jeff Cooper.

Next question.

should I get the diamonds all the way around both the band and engagement ring,
or just half way around. It''s alittle cheaper halfway, and with the little kids
and stuff mabye half way would be better.

What do you think?

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I got half, not only because it saves you money because you don''t have diamonds where you won''t see them anyway, but also because it''s much more comfortable not to have diamonds rubbing agaisnt your other fingers.

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. I will get half too then.
I just called and they said 6-8 weeks to get the finalized ring.

Thank you so much for your comments.

diamond island

Rough_Rock
I am also working on getting a tacori for a 1.63 and the standard prones only holds up to a 1.3 so I am getting mine special made to fit the 1.63 and this was recommendened by Tacori. They felt it was going to be too much strain on the standard prones to squeeze a 1.63 and may weaken the crown. I would be cautious of a retailer who advises you otherwise. All they want to do is make the sale and make it now. I dont think it is a problem to have the jeweler set the diamond if they are qualified, but definately get the crown custom made, should only cost $100 which is nothing in the scheeme of things. I personally would ship my diamond to tacori to set, you dont know whay goes on over there and you risk shipping it. DOnt think the style takes anything away from the center. I like the eternity on bands but not E-rings. The E-ring will never spin but a band can spin and therefore half the time you wont see diamonds and half of the time you will. So for the band, eternity is a good idea.

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
I like your ideas.
I won''t get the diamonds all the way around on the e ring, but I will on the band.
That sounds better.

It is a good idea to just have Tacori do it. I have been talking a lot to websites,
and jewelry stores that sell Tacori today and they all have indicated different things.
1 says they can just ship me the set, its a perfect size for 1.50 , the prongs can fit any size,
1 says they must ship to Tacori, so your defintely right.
One website offered it a little cheaper, but I''m scared to buy something so expensive
and have it shipped. I would rather deal with a jewelry that I can see the piece
and pay direct or put on lay away if i have to with the band.

Do you like the Tacori better than a simple band by Jeff Cooper.
I was thinking of the Jeff Cooper one with 1 little round diamond on each side of the main center,
but it just doesn''t seem to be enough. Do you think the Tacori is better?

laney

Brilliant_Rock
My tacori ring has a 1.5 stone in it. It doesn''t distract from the center stone at all - in fact, it compliments it.

Pictures of my ring are on the SMTR forum.

I would have tacori make it again. Tacori made my rings - and the local jeweler set the stone - I did not send my stone to Tacori.

Here''s what I''ve heard -and I hope someone else can post and make sure I''m saying this correctly -- apparently when they set CZ''s the girdle is thicker than a real diamond. I have heard that you shouldn''t re-set a diamond in to a head that has previously held a CZ. Now, I don''t know if this is true - or that the new diamond "seat" would be looser"... but it would be good to ask your jeweler. I''m sure a talented setter wouldn''t have a problem. But why not just get the ring new. UNLESS they are giving a big discount for the "store" model.

I am very statisfied with my set - but if you like Jeff cooper too...maybe you need a little more time to think on it. They are pretty different designs in general... maybe you need to sleep on it and see which style you see yourself wearing!

Good Luck

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
I think I will have Tacori just make one to fit my stone. But, I''m hoping I can just give the measurements
of my stone, and not have to ship my diamond to Tacori. They were kind of insisting I ship it, but then
later said, I could just give them the measurements, and later their jewelry in front of me could set it.
They indicated that if they set it, then Tacori might not warrenty it, but that seems a bit odd to me.

I also was thinking of having the e-ring with 1/2 diamonds around, and the eternity band full diamonds
around, since the eternity would be more likely turning then the e-ring.

I will also make sure before I but it, I think the Tacori is more flattering than the Jeff Cooper.
Jeff Coopers is pretty, just more plain.

diamond island

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I goofed. I meant I would NOT sent my stone to Tacori!!! No way!!! I would have my local jeweler set it. Dont know about Jeff Cooper but my fiance likes Tacori. We looked at a lot of E-rings, always came back to Tacori. Its worth the wait for a custom crown to fit your stone!

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
I just called the store here that has the Tacori i tried on and they said that they could sell me that ring
and if i needed i could put it on layaway. The e-ring has the diamonds all the way around, and I asked
him to get a price from Tacori on if i were to order the e-ring with diamonds just have around on e-ring.
He thought it was foolish to order the e-ring from Tacori with the diamonds 1/2 way around, and thought
i should just purchase the e-ring and band from him, the one in stock. Then he said I would have to ship
my diamond to Tacori to have them set it or they cannot give me the lifetime warrenty on the setting.

I just really want to get the e-ring with the diamonds 1/2 way around, and the band with it all the way
but this jeweler just keeps saying i should buy the one he has, 4340.00 for the band
and 4640 for the e-ring, then he keeps saying bring your diamond in and ill make sure you know what
it looks like so when we ship it to Tacori to set it in this setting, you know it''s yours when it comes back.

I don''t feel comfortable with this idea. I just wanted Tacori to make the setting, and still give me a warrenty
without me having to ship my diamond to them.

I also found the same setting on Robbins.com or something like that, and they said they could do it cheaper,
about 3945.00 band and 2699.00 for 1/2 row of diamonds on the ering. That seems better,
plus they are not demanding i ship my diamond. Not sure what to do really.

Still deciding, thanks for your help

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Carolynw:

ABSOLUTELY get what you want, what your heart is leading to. If you always come back to Tacori and that's what you truly want, you should get that. My fiance and I got a ring this summer that was by all means pretty in itself, and looked similar to a tacori, but deep down inside I wanted a Tacori. For years I did. I tried to love my first ring, but couldn't and was always sad about it. Now I am getting one from Tacori. So we did lose a little money (but I am setting the old setting with my birthstone so all is not lost, but I'm still regretting getting the first one and wasting our money ) but I am THRILLED to be getting what I really want. I've been going through an online dealer (PM me if you want the name) and they have been fantastic. I am having the 2259 made with the width of the 2229 that you like and my stone is smaller than yours (1.07) but I still think with all the intricacy of the tacori, my center stone will still shine because its so well cut and sparkly. So if you have an even bigger stone that is beautiful, I don't think the details of the tacori will outshine it.

I'd definitely get a brand new one just made for you. The jeweler you are talking to sounds shady. I sent in my diamond's measurements to the online jeweler and they sent that to Tacori so they could make the head just for my stone. I'm getting both full eternity b/c I was worried about spinning of the halfway band and I didnt really want to solder them, but just getting the w-ring full eternity would be great too! The online jeweler is setting my stone too.

One thing they did tell me though is that you can't size the full eternity rings in this style, so if you are worried about future fluctuations in size that is something to consider. I did talk to one B and M store and they said you can also do 3/4 the way diamonds around the ring and that way you'd still have room to size but more diamonds so if the rings spin there's still enough diamonds to not show metal if they do spin.

You might want to talk to ninasstar-- she has the same size stone you have and the set that you want!

Good luck!

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I wouldn''t mind ordering from the internet site like you.
Do you have the name?

You same BM, not sure what BM means, sorry, too new at this.

Thanks for all your great information.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

B & M is brick and mortar store.

I''m not sure if we are allowed to post internet sites on here so I will private message you with the name and info!

Sarah

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I looked and it is quite a bit cheaper ordering on-line, then walking into the jeweler store and ordering.
Did you actually send 1/2 and once ready you will send the rest.
I guess you felt comfortable and felt it was safe.

Did you actually try on the ring before totally deciding?

I want to go back to the jewelry store just to make sure the ring is indeed
at 6 before I order from the store you did, also did you get diamonds
all the way around, i think you said, just half on the e-ring and totally around
on the band.

Thanks so much, seems like a good place.

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Your getting the rosebud collection.
It appears like the diamond sits lower, that might be nicer.
He didn''t have that one for me to try.

Does the band and e-ring measure the same thickness as
the one I''m getting, they seem to be the same thickness.

I liked how the two together fit and the width, and was
wondering if yours was the same width with the two together.

thanks

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/15/2004 7:54:47 PM
Author: Carolynw
Hi,

I looked and it is quite a bit cheaper ordering on-line, then walking into the jeweler store and ordering.

Did you actually send 1/2 and once ready you will send the rest.

I guess you felt comfortable and felt it was safe.

Did you actually try on the ring before totally deciding?

I want to go back to the jewelry store just to make sure the ring is indeed

at 6 before I order from the store you did, also did you get diamonds

all the way around, i think you said, just half on the e-ring and totally around

on the band.

Thanks so much, seems like a good place.

I used my credit card (much more legal recourse when purchasing something online in case something goes wrong) and they charged me 1/2 when I ordered and the rest when the item comes in, but I could have paid all at once if I wanted to. I''ve been shopping online for years, so I feel safe doing so. I''ve found much better deals online.

I''ve been stalking Tacori rings for years and used to go try them on all the time
31.gif

But before I made my purchase, I tried both sets on. Both are very pretty, personally I love three stone rings and I liked the rosebud prongs better. I ordered both rings with the diamonds going completely around. I figured, go all out, I will be wearing this forever and since it cant be resized its motivation not to gain weight
2.gif

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/15/2004 8
6.gif
6.gif
6 PM
Author: Carolynw
Your getting the rosebud collection.

It appears like the diamond sits lower, that might be nicer.

He didn''t have that one for me to try.

Does the band and e-ring measure the same thickness as

the one I''m getting, they seem to be the same thickness.

I liked how the two together fit and the width, and was

wondering if yours was the same width with the two together.

thanks

The diamond in the rosebud can be set high, medium or low. My jeweler suggested medium. Too high and you risk damaging the diamond, and too low doesnt allow full light to get through and make the stone sparkle, and gets gunked up more easily (all per my jeweler)

When I tried both sets on at the store, they measured the Rosebud e-ring to be about 3mm wide and the w-band to be about 2.5 or 3 mm. The platinum and diamonds that you like and the matching band were about 4mm wide each. Since I prefer thicker bands, I eventually had Tacori customize the Rosebud so my ring on order is the rosebud 3 stone with the wider thickness of the platinum and diamonds.
1.gif

ninasstar

Rough_Rock
Hi. I have the EXACT same ring you are talking about, HT2229 and HT2229A.....the ring and the matching band. I have the diamonds going all the way around and I LOVE IT that way. I know that many people on this board recommend only halfway around, but it''s super comfortable AND looks so pretty.

I have a 1.54 carat round brilliant stone and it looks gorgeous in this ring. I did have a special head made for it.

I definitely recommend that you order it special and wait 4 weeks for tacori to make it, versus buying what the store has. You will be sooooo thrilled with it.

Private Message me if you have any specific questions since I have the exact same set. I''ve had it for almost 4 weeks now.....just breathtaking.

PS: I have pics posted on "Show Me the Ring", so feel free to take a look.

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I sent a private message to you.
thanks again for all the help.

I think i will get this one but, also try on the rosebud one too.

Have to decide between the two.

vistaview

Rough_Rock
For our tenth anniversary, I upgraded my stone to a 1.75 in the Tacori HT2326 with diamonds all the way around, but I chose the HT 2229 wedding band (diamonds all around) to go with it. If you like the 3 stone look with pretty, delicate, claw prongs, this might be the way to go for you. I didn''t want my set to be too "matchy - matchy" and I love the look of mixing the two styles. My engagement ring is the one that Tacori in now promoting with the new "Meet the Fokers" movie. I have very small hands and a size 5 ring and this set is perfect for me. I researched for MONTHS and it came down to either a Michael B, Robert Landi or this and I''m really happy I went with this because it is so classic and elegant - vintage looking - but also is unique with mixing to two styles.

Good luck!
4.gif

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Hi, so you got the rosebud e-ring with the band from the other style. That would be very pretty together.
I tried on the e-ring at that jewelery store in the mall, it was alittle thinner. Which would be good for small hands.
I''m 6 feet tall, and have slender hands, but long. I thought the width of the 2229A looked pretty good on my
hands, the width of the two together felt so perfect.

I was thinking of looking at Michael B designs and the Judith Conway.
What didn''t you like in comparison to the Tacori verses Michael B, that made you choose the Tacori?
That would help me decide on which one.

As you can see, I can''t make up my mind, it may take me months also, but that is better, since
it is a lot of money and I already bought the Jeff Cooper one and realize I made a mistake and should have
held out for the one I really wanted, no more mistakes.

Thanks for responding.

vistaview

Rough_Rock
My engagement ring is not the rosebud. It''s from the mermaid collection and is on the Tacori website as Platinum and Diamonds II. My wedding ring is from Platinum and Diamonds I. Neither is from the Rosebud collection as I thought the bands from the rosebud collection were too thin and didn''t have enough weight. My engagement ring has 1.6 carat weight before me center stone is added in and the wedding band is 1.0 carat. I chose this engagement ring because I felt it was more "substantial" (read "heavier") than the other collections and I liked the sparkle of the round stones. I brought my mom too the jewelry store with me to help me choose and she was concerned that the rings might overpower my small hands, especially with mixing the two styles, but I am really happy. The Michael B. is beautiful, but in the end, I wasn''t crazy about how tiny the wedding band (or bands if you where them on either side of your engagement ring) were. I was also afraid that it looked a little too "cocktail" and I would personaly prefer a colored stone in the middle of all that pave as opposed to center diamond. I know that is extremely popular right now (check out Reena''s gorgeous ring on SMTR), but I really wanted something classic and vintage looking and I felt the combo I chose really fit that bill. Also, my reality is that I have 4 small children and do a lot of hands of volunteering. This engagement ring is not the most practical ring (let alone a large stone surrounded by pave) and many times I need to wear just my eternity band when I''m called to help make paper mache hot air balloons and finger paint turkeys!

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
I like the one you like too, it is thicker and heavier.
I also have little children, and that is what i liked,
that you could easily wear the band alone.

I just found out the same jeweler I bought my
diamond from carries Tacori, i didn''t even notice it
because i was so caught up with trying to find a great diamond. I called
him today, and he said he would help me and give me a good price.

so, ill let you know when I get it.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Helamonster76

Rough_Rock
I am getting a Jaffe ME1267 in about a week. We do not have a center stone yet, so the jeweler said we should get a 1.5ct head - since we are looking for a center stone that is 1.3 - 1.5ct. The jeweler said that the head on this ring is special because it is cast as one piece with the ring. You can not change out heads. (we are also removing the bagettes in the band and replacing them with all round stones).

He never suggested that you had to be specific with the size for the center stone to order the ring.

Is this something I should be concerned about? I think we might end up with a stone slightly smaller than 1.5, maybe in the 1.3 to 1.4 range.
How much does the look of the prongs change with a slight difference in the size of the stone?

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Hi NinaStar,

I can''t believe what just happened. My jeweler agreed to cancel the Jeff Cooper ring i ordered,
and apply the 3000.00 I paid towards the Tacori ring I wanted the HT2229 and matching band.
I''m going over there now to get the ring ordered, I''m so happy about it.

Any advice before I head over?

Thanks
Carolyn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results