color
clarity

PS Pre-Owned Seller -OR- Trade Member?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1322020743|3067356 said:
MonkeyPie|1322020253|3067343 said:
I don't think you are getting my point...but ok.

Haha, what's not to get? I just dont agree. ;-) I think people are confusing this forum with family, and that's why people are so offended that others may be making a little bit of money. I'm not naive enough to think that people here have my best interest at heart, and I wouldn't expect them to. If they want to make some money, and they have buyers who are willing to pay, good for them!
I don't think it's that anyone is confusing PS with family... Like I said in my other post, it's growing pains. I read a fellow consumer's posts differently than I do a vendor, and have different expectations for their personal interest and personal investment in the issues. When it seems like someone has a foot on both sides of the line, it's uncomfortable and something that takes some adjusting.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1322020977|3067363 said:
Haha, what's not to get? I just dont agree. ;-) I think people are confusing this forum with family, and that's why people are so offended that others may be making a little bit of money. I'm not naive enough to think that people here have my best interest at heart, and I wouldn't expect them to. If they want to make some money, and they have buyers who are willing to pay, good for them!

Good post FK!!

I totally agree with this, but I think that as PSers, we DO expect our fellow consumers to have our best interests at heart. And when a consumer is blurring the line and becoming a vendor, they're not going to have our best interests at heart anymore. That's the difference.

Again, I don't necessarily think a PSer flipping stones is wrong, but I do think it changes the dynamic of PS in a way that's probably not positive.

Edited for grammar!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1322020760|3067357 said:
Maybe that's a good compromise. I like that Karl. But I suspect the moderators are going to hate it. A separate designation for actively flipping PSers. Not a true vendor. Able to comment in RT and elsewhere without restriction (except on other flippers goods) but with a warning label and harsh penalties for anything that smacks of solitication or self-promotion.

What would we name it? This Quasi category?

FWIW, I thought you were SMART not bad Karl.

Re the quasi status, I don't see how that can successfully work in real time. If you buy/sell pieces as an intermediary (instead of housecleaning personal collection), you are indeed a vendor. No quasi about it. I don't think it's bad to be a vendor at all, but it does strip away the neutrality and lack of vested interest that comes with being a consumer.

It opens doors to many other things; that's why vendors here haven't even been allowed to share photos of their own personal pieces.....becuase the potential for even the *appearance* of complicity is problematic.

There's too much room for the suggestion that "oh, so and so sells but IS allowed to comment in a way that vendors aren't, so perhaps vendor A will broker a side arrangement with the 'quasi-consumer'. It just opens a whole host of conflict issues that are better avoided by full disclosure.

I *fully* understand the reluctance to give up the fun end of the consumer side.....better tha most, but that's the cost of entering the vendor world. It would be nice to have one's cake and eat it too, but in this venue, it seems impractical.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
MissStepcut|1322021122|3067368 said:

I don't think it's that anyone is confusing PS with family... Like I said in my other post, it's growing pains. I read a fellow consumer's posts differently than I do a vendor, and have different expectations for their personal interest and personal investment in the issues. When it seems like someone has a foot on both sides of the line, it's uncomfortable and something that takes some adjusting.

Monkeypie was talking about whether it's "right" or "wrong" to flip. She wasn't discussing whether a person should or shouldn't be identified as a vendor if they flip.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1322019988|3067340 said:
diamondseeker2006|1322019519|3067327 said:
I think it is sad for a community like this not to help one another by recommending finds on ebay, etc. rather than buying out from under them and then reselling at a higher price. For one example, I really appreciate how MrsSalvo has helped me and others find items were were searching for. That OEC ring she found for kennedy was a recent amazing find!! Do we really think she should have bought it herself and then offered it for sale for a lot more (which it is worth, I am sure) since she knew Kennedy and others were looking for such a ring? I am sure she easily could have made a couple of thousand on that ring with good pictures and a $60 appraisal. But instead, she told kennedy about the ring so she could have it at the ebay price. And that, to me, was the right thing to do. And MrsS is not the only one. Many of us try to help people find what they are looking for. That is what a good community will do, help one another.

DS, you know I've done that for a very long time. Heck look on RT and you'll see threads thanking me for my help right now. So I've helped PLENTY OF PEOPLE.

According to your post I've crossed over to vendor and am now "bad" for doing that.

Do you want me to stop helping on RT? Because if I'm a vendor I will pretty much have to. And I am not going to play 'toe the line' for a few flips. I'm going to stop posting entirely. If that's the way this forum votes about people who want to make some money on a few casual flip... well, I'm not sure that I want to be part of a community that judgmental with that much intolerance. I can buy and flip on DB-- resign from PS and get a new hobby. I'll still be flipping, but I sure as heck won't help out in RT anymore because I won't help a bunch of people that decide that I'm a bad person for taking my skills and applying them to help out my own household income.

Is Storm also BAD because he's now a vendor?

I find your post extremely narrow minded and hurtful.

Oh come on Gypsy. Your post here is exactly the reason why if you choose to try to make money on (and off the members of) this community that there should be a line.

You've been talking about your "reputation" and how important it is to you and why you are trying to give out plenty of information on your listings. Well, your reputation is based on being a HELPFUL CONSUMER here, and now you are trying to translate it into making sales into the community because, wink wink, you can be trusted and are a nice person and have helped out many. Which is true, you area nice person and have helped out many, but you are using that reputation to MAKE money here - apparently even going as far as soliciting business?

I know there are plenty of people who would probably pay a "finders fee" if someone like you did the work, got the stone checked out and made a bit of money. I'd have no problem because the finder took the risk. But what is the "policy" exactly? If someone sources something, buys it, and then it's a dog, who's stuck with it? I wonder about stuff like that.

Anyway, back to the point...if you want to make money by flipping, fine. But don't cry when someone doesn't like it, or doesn't see it in the spirit of Pricescope. As far as I can see, when Karl became a vendor, he scaled way waaaaay back on his personal two cents around here.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1322021521|3067377 said:
MissStepcut|1322021122|3067368 said:

Monkeypie was talking about whether it's "right" or "wrong" to flip. She wasn't discussing whether a person should or shouldn't be identified as a vendor if they flip.
That's what I was talking about too?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Think we read it differently. :) I saw her comment as completely anti-flipping for anyone, period. On or off the board. You read it as flipping being right or wrong here, not elsewhere.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1322021607|3067379 said:
I think it is sad for a community like this not to help one another by recommending finds on ebay, etc. rather than buying out from under them and then reselling at a higher price. For one example, I really appreciate how MrsSalvo has helped me and others find items were were searching for. That OEC ring she found for kennedy was a recent amazing find!! Do we really think she should have bought it herself and then offered it for sale for a lot more (which it is worth, I am sure) since she knew Kennedy and others were looking for such a ring? I am sure she easily could have made a couple of thousand on that ring with good pictures and a $60 appraisal. But instead, she told kennedy about the ring so she could have it at the ebay price. And that, to me, was the right thing to do. And MrsS is not the only one. Many of us try to help people find what they are looking for. That is what a good community will do, help one another.

DS, you know I've done that for a very long time. Heck look on RT and you'll see threads thanking me for my help right now. So I've helped PLENTY OF PEOPLE.

According to your post I've crossed over to vendor and am now "bad" for doing that.

Do you want me to stop helping on RT? Because if I'm a vendor I will pretty much have to. And I am not going to play 'toe the line' for a few flips. I'm going to stop posting entirely. If that's the way this forum votes about people who want to make some money on a few casual flip... well, I'm not sure that I want to be part of a community that judgmental with that much intolerance. I can buy and flip on DB-- resign from PS and get a new hobby. I'll still be flipping, but I sure as heck won't help out in RT anymore because I won't help a bunch of people that decide that I'm a bad person for taking my skills and applying them to help out my own household income.

Oh come on Gypsy. Your post here is exactly the reason why if you choose to try to make money on (and off the members of) this community that there should be a line.

You've been talking about your "reputation" and how important it is to you and why you are trying to give out plenty of information on your listings. Well, your reputation is based on being a HELPFUL CONSUMER here, and now you are trying to translate it into making sales into the community because, wink wink, you can be trusted and are a nice person and have helped out many. Which is true, you area nice person and have helped out many, but you are using that reputation to MAKE money here - apparently even going as far as soliciting business?

I know there are plenty of people who would probably pay a "finders fee" if someone like you did the work, got the stone checked out and made a bit of money. I'd have no problem because the finder took the risk. But what is the "policy" exactly? If someone sources something, buys it, and then it's a dog, who's stuck with it? I wonder about stuff like that.

Anyway, back to the point...if you want to make money by flipping, fine. But don't cry when someone doesn't like it, or doesn't see it in the spirit of Pricescope. As far as I can see, when Karl became a vendor, he scaled way waaaaay back on his personal two cents around here.

It's called a conversation T-gal. There has been no crying. No whining. Just hashing out differences of opinions. That's what adults do when they disagree and are trying to come to a decision.

Okay. Here's the question AGAIN:

Where is the line? IS IT ONLY IF I POST FLIPS ON PS? Or if I post them on DB with no reference on PS about the listing at all ever? Where is that line? HOW FAR is PS allowed to regulate my actions? I'd like to know.

As for soliciting... WTF? Where did that come from? I NEVER solicited business.

And FOR YOUR INFORMATION and I'm sure Karl will verify this... There was MONTHS of talk on how to handle his status change. No one waived a magic wand.

So forgive me if I've got questions in this ONE POST to clarify how to proceed, T-gal. I don't happen to have a magic wand... do you?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is sad for a community like this not to help one another by recommending finds on ebay, etc. rather than buying out from under them and then reselling at a higher price. Many of us try to help people find what they are looking for. That is what a good community will do, help one another.
+1 Makes me wonder what PS is going to look like a year from now. Ideas are contagious. And, self-interest, a more powerful an impulse than altruism.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agreed. It is the "ends justify the means" argument that is as irrelevant as it is disheartening.

cheers--Sharon

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1322022133|3067390 said:
+1 Makes me wonder what PS is going to look like a year from now. quote]

I can already foretell that - it will begin with me luring you with the milgrain bezel bracelet into the valley of darkness, Deco!!!!! You know you wanna!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1322021983|3067387 said:

Where is the line? IS IT ONLY IF I POST FLIPS ON PS? Or if I post them on DB with no reference on PS about the listing at all ever? Where is that line? HOW FAR is PS allowed to regulate my actions? I'd like to know.

And FOR YOUR INFORMATION and I'm sure Karl will verify this... There was MONTHS of talk on how to handle his status change. No one waived a magic wand.

So forgive me if I've got questions in this ONE POST to clarify how to proceed, T-gal. I don't happen to have a magic wand... do you?

OK, if you didn't my bad. I heard someone around here was offering to source something.

A few people have gone through status changes here because they legitimately become part of the trade and no one really blinked (OK, I didn't). We've had the preloved forum for a month now, and all of the sudden I'm noticing some posts by you selling stones you're just getting. I'm confused and wondering what's going on, and I realize you're flipping. Do I like it? Don't know. I really don't care. But you are trying to make money HERE, and HERE vendors have to behave a certain way, so what we are trying to determine is if you make money off THIS community as a business (no matter how small), then are you a vendor?

I think you said you don't want to have to list that something is a flip. Why not? Because you don't think it will sell here if you do?

I don't have a magic wand. All I know is that when you start making money off people, and you aren't listed as a vendor and act like one, people will start believing you have a motive. Ask yourself if that's what you want. For instance, I've already read on this thread that you had a problem with someone flipping something for a big profit without all the proper paperwork, verification, etc. etc. And I'm not arguing that it's not kosher. But part of me now think you are making a point so that people think "Oh, Gypsy is honest. Gypsy REPRESENTS her stuff. I can buy from her, no problem, and I should because she wouldn't misrepresent something or sell something without papers. THIS is a good flipper. Anyone else flipping stones is bad."

I'm taking it to a bit of an extreme, but you know what I mean. I'm not trying to come down on you. I'm trying to say, if it's your reputation you hold dear, you may have a little bit of thinking to do. And I'm sure you are. ;))

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1322021260|3067371 said:
we DO expect our fellow consumers to have our best interests at heart. And when a consumer is blurring the line and becoming a vendor, they're not going to have our best interests at heart anymore. That's the difference.Again, I don't necessarily think a PSer flipping stones is wrong, but I do think it changes the dynamic of PS in a way that's probably not positive.
Well said, T2.

It gets even stickier when someone has a long history of *objective* help & then changes *on a dime* towards personal profit motives. A newbie sees the long history etc & may be totally unaware of the New World Order.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, well Gypsy, this is your post. Is it crying? Well...

What this translates to me is:

I am needed. I am valued. I help people. Look at RT, and you'll see.

I am now going to threaten to take my much needed help and walk, because YOU all are intolerant and judging me, when I want to make some extra dough for myself. You'll all be the suckers, because I'll still making my extra money from DB, but you'll miss me in Rocky Talky! I mean, I have skills and KNOWLEDGE, and how dare you all think I'm bad because I want to make money off this community with it?

Calling people intolerant and judgmental...well, yeah, that's kind of crying, and not having a conversation.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

From your .93 Transitional OEC thread ---

Gypsy|1321925947|3066476 said:
rosetta|1321870216|3066027 said:
Aw man, if it had a sister stone I would have definitely made an offer for the pair and snapped them up for studs!

Only one gypsy?

Waaaaaaah! ;(

Rosetta, contact me through DB. I might be able to get you a pair if you are interested.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

It's called a conversation T-gal. There has been no crying. No whining. Just hashing out differences of opinions. That's what adults do when they disagree and are trying to come to a decision.

In your thread with the single OEC you told a poster asking about earrings that you may have something for her, and a few days later you posted the earrings. That seems to be close to soliciting, IMO.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Allison D.|1322022662|3067400 said:
it will begin with me luring you with the milgrain bezel bracelet into the valley of darkness, Deco!!!!! You know you wanna!
I'll be quietly stalking the PreLoved forum everyday until it appears! Just hoping my pocketbook is well lined on that fine, fine day. :naughty: :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1322019174|3067321 said:
kenny|1322018888|3067317 said:
Thanks Ella.

So, if your asking price is a grand, be wise.
Don't tell us you bought it for a buck at a garage sale.

What about when somone gets a steal of a deal on eBay for a diamond ... they post all about their amazing deal and gain a lot of love on PS and even sets it. A few months down the road .. they decide they don't want it anymore and sell it a fair second hand price (which is still a lot more than they paid for).

IMHO, the item's history is meaningless.
The item is what it is and like Ella says vote with your wallet, if you feel the price is high don't buy it.

What if someone inherits a diamond that would list today for $80,000 at Whiteflash?
They paid ZERO!
IMHO they can list/ask/charge/negotiate down to whatever they want.
If they inherited it or bought it for $50 at a garage sale this morning it STILL would list for $80,000 today at Whiteflash.

People are not put on earth to live up my my arbitrary behavioral standards.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1322023488|3067418 said:
it will begin with me luring you with the milgrain bezel bracelet into the valley of darkness, Deco!!!!! You know you wanna!
I'll be quietly stalking the PreLoved forum everyday until it appears! Just hoping my pocketbook is well lined on that fine, fine day. :naughty: :bigsmile:

Nah - when it happens, it'll be an offline event and you'll have the exclusive invitation. I'm pretty certain you 'cyber-licked' hosied it first.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I am going to leave the issue of profit because I am firmly in the camp that if I spend 100 hours trolling ebay and find a fabulous deal, then decide to sell said purchase, I am sure as heck going to sell it for more than I paid. Less than retail, sure, but I am going to change a fair market price. I said as much in an exchange with TGal in the thread that Gypsy linked a couple pages ago.

So to me, the issue -- if there even is one, because there is a part of me that is feeling this is all much ado about nothing, and that some people's sense if ire is motivated by baggage and not recent developments at all -- the issue is whether someone needs to become a trade member if they engage in a few casual flips.

I don't know the answer, but I think that it should be up to the moderators to decide. This is their playground.

And on a more personal level, we should all can the rhetoric and hyperbole and holier than thou posts about Gypsy. She is a valued member of this community, and one of the ONLY people who has posted in this thread who is working the trenches over in Rocky Talky on a regular basis. So I dont' think we should be casting her in such a sinister light as some posts seem to imply. Her value and contribution is a separate issue from the titular question posted in this thread, but I think we should keep it in mind when making sweeping statements, since we may be talking in generalities, but we all know exactly whos actions prompted this thread, and feelings can and will get hurt.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1322024246|3067426 said:
Well, I am going to leave the issue of profit because I am firmly in the camp that if I spend 100 hours trolling ebay and find a fabulous deal, then decide to sell said purchase, I am sure as heck going to sell it for more than I paid. Less than retail, sure, but I am going to change a fair market price. I said as much in an exchange with TGal in the thread that Gypsy linked a couple pages ago.

So to me, the issue -- if there even is one, because there is a part of me that is feeling this is all much ado about nothing, and that some people's sense if ire is motivated by baggage and not recent developments at all -- the issue is whether someone needs to become a trade member if they engage in a few casual flips.I don't know the answer, but I think that it should be up to the moderators to decide. This is their playground.

And on a more personal level, we should all can the rhetoric and hyperbole and holier than thou posts about Gypsy. She is a valued member of this community, and one of the ONLY people who has posted in this thread who is working the trenches over in Rocky Talky on a regular basis. So I dont' think we should be casting her in such a sinister light as some posts seem to imply. Her value and contribution is a separate issue from the titular question posted in this thread, but I think we should keep it in mind when making sweeping statements, since we may be talking in generalities, but we all know exactly whos actions prompted this thread, and feelings can and will get hurt.

I think most people here think that's the issue.

I don't think that anyone here is painting her in a sinister light. I think they (and I) are saying perception is important round these parts.

And no one is saying she isn't valuable. Even she knows she is. People are saying that they may not like someone flipping acting only as a consumer here, and not a vendor. And yes, there seems to be a discussion on what the "spirit of pricescope" is, but that's for the mods to decide, as you said.

And finally, I do think her post to DS was a bit, eh. But it's not like long timers here haven't had disagreements before. We move on (while sticking around. ::) )

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And on a more personal level, we should all can the rhetoric and hyperbole and holier than thou posts about Gypsy. She is a valued member of this community, and one of the ONLY people who has posted in this thread who is working the trenches over in Rocky Talky on a regular basis. So I dont' think we should be casting her in such a sinister light as some posts seem to imply. Her value and contribution is a separate issue from the titular question posted in this thread, but I think we should keep it in mind when making sweeping statements, since we may be talking in generalities, but we all know exactly whose actions prompted this thread, and feelings can and will get hurt.

Well said.

This is really starting to take a bad turn.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to Dreamer's post.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
She is a valued member of this community, and one of the ONLY people who has posted in this thread who is working the trenches over in Rocky Talky on a regular basis.

Dreamer, while she may be the only one doing so now, she is far from the only one in this very thread to have ever done so. Mara has, I have (pre-trade days), Karl did (also pre-trade days), and Diamondseeker are several that come to mind (without flipping back pages), and I think Thing did quite a bit as well. The guard does change from time to time, but MANY have served.

Having done so doesn't lend any more or less merit to the viewpoints of those in the thread in my humble opinion.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness! I never stated or insinuated that Gypsy wasn't a valuable forum member who had been very helpful to people! Many of us help people find diamonds, settings, and other items on here on a regular basis! It's fun to me...a hobby!

I am going to try to restate this one more time so my issue with all this is clear. It is nothing personal against Gypsy or anyone else.

The issue is this: MANY of us are looking for well cut OEC's on this forum. Some of us have bid on rings and diamonds and won them. Both Dreamer and I have bought antique diamond rings in the last few weeks. There is still something I am looking for. I don't really announce what I am looking for because I can look pretty well myself and I might have a friend help me look. I would not be very happy, though, to be bidding on an OEC, then come to find that another PSer bought the item I really wanted just to turn around and post it on here to sell at a higher price than I could have won the auction for. I'm not saying that makes the seller a "bad person". I just don't consider it in the same spirit as the person who spends personal time helping others find the right stone or setting with nothing to gain.

Question for those with a good long term memory....didn't Erica and Grace get into the business gradually as they loved old diamonds and saw the demand increasing? I can see how it can happen.

(Gypsy, my post was not a personal attack on you. I like you and appreciate your helpfulness and am sorry you were upset with my post. But I would be sad if you tried to make a profit by helping me find what I wanted as long as you are a regular forum member. I look on ebay because I don't want to pay the mark up of a vendor of antique stones since I really don't have unlimited money. It would be much nicer for someone to give me the link to the promising stone and let me decide if I want to bid. It doesn't make anyone a "bad person" to buy stones and resell. I just think it would be disappointing when the lines are blurred between helpful forum member and seller, that's all.)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1322022133|3067390 said:
+1 Makes me wonder what PS is going to look like a year from now. quote]

I can already foretell that - it will begin with me luring you with the milgrain bezel bracelet into the valley of darkness, Deco!!!!! You know you wanna!

Have I missed a milgrain bezel bracelet??? Or am I just not recalling what you're talking about? Deco and I might have to fight over it! Show me the bling, Alj!!!!

(And Al...are you still with WF? That is not showing up on your posts. I am clearly out of the loop, sorry!)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moderator, please put a "FLIPPER badge" under my avatar... :lol:

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1322026342|3067449 said:
Goodness! I never stated or insinuated that Gypsy wasn't a valuable forum member who had been very helpful to people! Many of us help people find diamonds, settings, and other items on here on a regular basis! It's fun to me...a hobby!

I am going to try to restate this one more time so my issue with all this is clear. It is nothing personal against Gypsy or anyone else.

The issue is this: MANY of us are looking for well cut OEC's on this forum. Some of us have bid on rings and diamonds and won them. Both Dreamer and I have bought antique diamond rings in the last few weeks. There is still something I am looking for. I don't really announce what I am looking for because I can look pretty well myself and I might have a friend help me look. I would not be very happy, though, to be bidding on an OEC, then come to find that another PSer bought the item I really wanted just to turn around and post it on here to sell at a higher price than I could have won the auction for. I'm not saying that makes the seller a "bad person". I just don't consider it in the same spirit as the person who spends personal time helping others find the right stone or setting with nothing to gain.

(Gypsy, my post was not a personal attack on you. I like you and appreciate your helpfulness and am sorry you were upset with my post. But I would be sad if you tried to make a profit by helping me find what I wanted as long as you are a regular forum member. I look on ebay because I don't want to pay the mark up of a vendor of antique stones since I really don't have unlimited money. It would be much nicer for someone to give me the link to the promising stone and let me decide if I want to bid. It doesn't make anyone a "bad person" to buy stones and resell. I just think it would be disappointing when the lines are blurred between helpful forum member and seller, that's all.)

I like the points you brought up, DS, because it brings up the question about 'dibs' in my mind- what about situations where a PSers wants to bid on a stone but it is won by someone else who intends to flip it? There's no real way to call dibs, and posting about it on here is a surefire way to have someone snipe it out from under you; like what happened in my thread with the ring PSers (including Gypsy, bless her efforts on my behalf) helped me find.

Since everyone else is tossing their opinions into the thread, here's mine: I don't have any issue with a PSer taking the 'risk' on my behalf and wading through the crapshoot of ebay to pluck out the possible winners out of the sea of garbage on there, dealing with sellers (I am in the middle of a dispute right now myself with a missing refund, and let's not forget Kelpie's ebay disaster), and taking it upon themselves to certify a stone/take good photos/give me accurate stats/etc so I can make a purchase in confidence. As long as it is still way below retail and in keeping with the secondhand market I do not have any issue with them making a little profit for all their legwork.

A hobbyist is not trying to live off of flipping. A vendor is. That is where the line is comfortable FOR ME.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Galateia|1322028089|3067466 said:
I like the points you brought up, DS, because it brings up the question about 'dibs' in my mind- what about situations where a PSers wants to bid on a stone but it is won by someone else who intends to flip it? There's no real way to call dibs, and posting about it on here is a surefire way to have someone snipe it out from under you; like what happened in my thread with the ring PSers (including Gypsy, bless her efforts on my behalf) helped me find.

Since everyone else is tossing their opinions into the thread, here's mine: I don't have any issue with a PSer taking the 'risk' on my behalf and wading through the crapshoot of ebay to pluck out the possible winners out of the sea of garbage on there, dealing with sellers (I am in the middle of a dispute right now myself with a missing refund, and let's not forget Kelpie's ebay disaster), and taking it upon themselves to certify a stone/take good photos/etc so I can make a purchase in confidence. As long as it is still way below retail and in keeping with the secondhand market I do not have any issue with them making a little profit for all their legwork.

A hobbyist is not trying to live off of flipping. A vendor is. That is where the line is comfortable FOR ME.

First of all, Hi Galateia! :wavey:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I think there are a lot of people who wouldn't mind someone to find stuff for them. I probably wouldn't, because ebay scares me. So that's my disclaimer...

However, hobbyists AND vendors are trying to make money, period, off the consumers on this site.

AND...if you want to murky the waters further...

A vendor IS trying to make a living, as you pointed out. It's how they put food on the table, right? So a hobbyist comes along and starts offering her services here to members, making money in the process, taking away business from Pricescope advertisers. Hmmm....the plot thickens...

I'm just throwing around thoughts. None of them may be valid. :bigsmile:

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1322026914|3067453 said:
Have I missed a milgrain bezel bracelet??? Or am I just not recalling what you're talking about? Deco and I might have to fight over it! Show me the bling, Alj!!!!

(And Al...are you still with WF? That is not showing up on your posts. I am clearly out of the loop, sorry!)

DS, you have missed it, but not because you didn't see it. It's because I never posted it since trade members can't post their personal pieces, very much for the reasons noted in this thread.

No, I'm not with WF now. I spent close to 3 years at it, but the landscape of PS has changed very greatly and my interests in the trade have, too. I'm more interested in other paths within the trade, and I'd go in those directions if the right opportunity came along in the future. For now, though, I am still at the primary job I've held for more than 15 years and there is still challenge to be held there too.

SO....I guess that means I'll likely be able to make a thread at some point for that bracelet - will let you know when I do. :twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results