clarity

KENNY

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, cool and gorgeous.

BUT

Why doesn't it cost a billion bucks?
Why wasn't it offered, cut and mounted in a ring by Graff?
There must be a reason.
Maybe it was irradiated by man or all the green color is only on the skin so it would have little or no green after polishing.

If natural that would be a cool stone to just keep on your desk as rough, or maybe put it in a pendant.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
it is only 3mm thick

I think the unusual crystal form is one of its best features. I would put it in a ring just as it is.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think its natural appearance is exquisite!!!
I'd also love it in a ring.
Hmm.

Does anyone know whether GIA will grade rough for color origin?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Macle :love: If indeed natural, I agree that it shouldn't be touched! There are times we should heed the addage, "Don't fool with mother nature!"

I would mount it loosely between two pieces of crystal, ala Happy Diamonds, in a pendant. Let it move freely!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so shallow and small, that you would probably get a very small yield out of that stone. I agree, it should be left as is, and it has that typical "natural" green color. It doesn't look irradiated, but I could be wrong. Very nice crystal. So clean too!!

ETA: It would be nice to see the flat face against a sheet of white paper, as perhaps it's clear on that axis, but green only along the sides. Hmmmm? :?:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, I really think you should consider this! Talk about a one of a kind diamond! :naughty:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is with a white background.

53373de2.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just spoke to a gentleman at GIA who grades FCDs.

He said GIA can provide their abbreviated report (Colored Diamond Identification and Origin Report) on rough.
GIA's fee is the same, per carat, whether it is polished or rough.

He said with green it may be easy or hard to determine.
Although probably not needed with this rough, sometimes it is necessary to polish a window on to the skin, in which case it would be sent back for the owner to do that.
He also said regardless of if they can make the call in 10 minutes or it takes days it is the same price since for GIA the price averages out over many stones.

He said with green there are 3 possible outcomes:
1. Color origin natural
2. Color origin the result of treatment
3. Color origin cannot be determined at this time

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, it's a lot less saturated against white color. If you cut it, it might even be a faint green, in which case, after the recut to a tiny size, it would be worth substantially less than something like your own round green.

Langerman also sells rough greens, you should take a look at his site to compare prices (and I think he's higher priced than Liebish).

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Indeed, it would be pointless to cut it. Bear in mind that white background photo is also head on and so all window. A three quarter view would show some TIR color around the periphery.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep in mind the value of rough green has to be MUCH lower than polished green since often the green color is only near the skin.
Also heating the diamond on the polishing wheel can make the color go away.
Apparently getting the job done while keeping the heat down is one of the important skills of an FCD cutter.

Green rough can produce a polished diamond that has much less green.
All this makes green rough kind of a financial crap shoot.

A GIA-verified natural green that is still a strong pure and even green with no blotches or zoning after polishing is exceeding rare and priced accordingly.

An attractive green rough is not nearly so rare.
If I bought I would not cut it.
It would be cool mounted as a ring so you can see all 3 of those textured sides.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I really like those textured sides, and the opposite oriented trigons scattered through the window

Most of the green rough I have seen has been drab olive brownish. This reminds me of merelani mint garnet!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
It would look very cool in a modified Chrono triangle mount. That way you could really enjoy the rough sides too.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1320776354|3057062 said:
It would look very cool in a modified Chrono triangle mount. That way you could really enjoy the rough sides too.

What is that?
Can you post a pic?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now THAT'S a window! :lol: :-o :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1320790632|3057275 said:
Now THAT'S a window! :lol: :-o :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Now that you mention it, I was thinking of getting into making stained glass windows.
I would work this into a design.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
O, how I would like to have Louis Comfort Tiffany windows made of FCDs,
even just a table lamp would do.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank uppy.

VL, can you imagine the cost of a lampshade made from FCDs? :o
. . . but imagine the beauty!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With that size and colour, I'd have it uncut and set as it is. It's a very unique shape and the side "textures" are best appreciated as it is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results