shape
carat
color
clarity

Light Pink/Lavender Stones?

blackkatya

Rough_Rock
So, I'm a complete newbie to PS, and have been lurking for a couple of weeks. I'm searching for a stone to make a ring as my graduation present to myself (since I hate the traditional class rings that are out there). I'm hoping to find a light pink or lavender stone--I was thinking maybe sapphire or spinel, and it will have to be a stone on the bigger side since I have big fingers (e-ring is an 8.5!).

Any ideas?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're on a budget, I would go for a spinel, as they tend to be less expensive than their sapphire counterparts, and they're not treated (as most sapphires are heated). How big are you going for because I know of a two carat one that's around $50 right now. :bigsmile:

What's your budget.

blackkatya

Rough_Rock
For the stone itself, I'd say $300-400 or so. Do you have pictures of this spinel?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this seller, and I have bought numerous stones from her.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Light-Pinkish-Lavender-1-80Cts-Unheated-Spinel-Gem-11060129-/260881111319?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbdb9d917

If interested, I would make an offer on it. It's well cut, and a pinkish lavender. Not sure if it's the size you're looking for though. She has some lighter spinels that are a very good value.

For your budget, you might be able to get a precision cut spinel around 1.5 to 2 carats, but they're so hard to come by and sell out faster than hot potatoes.

blackkatya

Rough_Rock
Bit smaller than I had hoped, but everything else is perfect. And for the price I think I could find a setting that will make it look a little bigger. Thanks!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
TL|1320548221|3054990 said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Light-Pinkish-Lavender-1-80Cts-Unheated-Spinel-Gem-11060129-/260881111319?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbdb9d917

If interested, I would make an offer on it. It's well cut, and a pinkish lavender. Not sure if it's the size you're looking for though. She has some lighter spinels that are a very good value.

For your budget, you might be able to get a precision cut spinel around 1.5 to 2 carats, but they're so hard to come by and sell out faster than hot potatoes.

I'm new to gem stones and been looking for spinels myself but I thought spinel is kind expensive. why is this store selling so cheap? anything I'm missing like cut or ect?
Thank you

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minmin001|1320553652|3055053 said:

I'm new to gem stones and been looking for spinels myself but I thought spinel is kind expensive. why is this store selling so cheap? anything I'm missing like cut or ect?
Thank you

I think they have closer connections to the mine, so less middle men. Some of their darker spinels are not that attrative, but I like their brighter and lighter spinels. Spinels are one of those gems that have prices across the board, especially for non-red material, so it's good to shop around. Precision cutters also charge a premium for their cutting, so always expect to pay a little more for a precision cut gem. However, I think this seller has some very decent cuts on their stones. They are also very good about returns (I returned a couple of stones), and free S&H. They also ship in a sealed gem jar. Very nice store.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
TL|1320555761|3055066 said:
minmin001|1320553652|3055053 said:

Thank you

I think they have closer connections to the mine, so less middle men. Some of their darker spinels are not that attrative, but I like their brighter and lighter spinels. Spinels are one of those gems that have prices across the board, especially for non-red material, so it's good to shop around. Precision cutters also charge a premium for their cutting, so always expect to pay a little more for a precision cut gem. However, I think this seller has some very decent cuts on their stones. They are also very good about returns (I returned a couple of stones), and free S&H. They also ship in a sealed gem jar. Very nice store.

I see, thank you! any other gem vendors you would recommend?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on what you're looking for and what you are willing to pay. There's lots of vendors out there. For what the OP was looking for, I thought I'd mention that ebay store, but if she asked where you could find a great blue sapphire, I would have mentioned somewhere else.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
TL|1320556859|3055072 said:
It depends on what you're looking for and what you are willing to pay. There's lots of vendors out there. For what the OP was looking for, I thought I'd mention that ebay store, but if she asked where you could find a great blue sapphire, I would have mentioned somewhere else.

looking for a nice cut 1.5-2ctish round or oval red/pink spinel =)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minmin001|1320557161|3055074 said:
TL|1320556859|3055072 said:

looking for a nice cut 1.5-2ctish round or oval red/pink spinel =)

Unfortunately, everyone else is too!! For light pink and violet spinels, I like that ebay store. For reddish and more hot pinks, it's a bit more difficult, and you're going to pay a lot more.

It also depends on how saturated you want the gem. If you're willing to accept moderate saturation, there's a lot more places to go to.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this because I am also looking for a light pink gemstone to put into a bezel setting and this thread has been very helpful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results