shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
So can we assume (Danny and others with more knowledge than me) that the jewelery we have seen Catherine wear is/are most/all wedding presents or were they loaned to her from HM's vaults and just have not been seen in a while or possibly pieces re-worked? (exception of Halo tiara and her e-ring and some tiny pieces she owns). Thanks

happyfeet

Rough_Rock
Is the a picture some were of the ring camilla is wearing it always look so dirty or dark

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Imdanny thank you for the wonderful link and gorgeous jewels of La Liz. I bet the cashed up Arabs will go for them in a big way.
Although would love to see a royal lady in the future wear something from the Taylor collection.
However, I completely misunderstood your post about the Farouk bracelet, I thought you were meaning Catherine Middleton was wearing it. But then you see I am blonde!! Ha Ha.
Thanks again and cheers.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Princess Dagmar, LOL!
Cheers.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1320023891|3050701 said:
So can we assume (Danny and others with more knowledge than me) that the jewelery we have seen Catherine wear is/are most/all wedding presents or were they loaned to her from HM's vaults and just have not been seen in a while or possibly pieces re-worked? (exception of Halo tiara and her e-ring and some tiny pieces she owns). Thanks

Here's the thing about that: I haven't seen any list of their wedding presents. I realize Catherine wasn't marring a POW but she's in line to be that and I remember Diana receiving spectacular jewels. We all know that Diana reset many of the jewels. She didn't have Camilla's jewels but she had a lot. Catherine hardly seems to have any. I don't understand.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ella|1319994848|3050419 said:
Please remember that this is not a thread for bashing royals but rather enjoying their jewels. Please keep the mean spirited comments off the forum.

Sorry Ella, I thought I was just making some commentary on the jewelry, not the people themselves. Not all royal jewelry is beautiful, and I was noting that piece and some of the other pieces I've seen Kate and her family wear. It is a pity that ring is an example of what people consider to be beautiful, and as this is a consumer forum, I thought it should be emphasized that her sapphire in the photos is not what many gem afficionados would consider a fine quality.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1320059303|3050891 said:
laurensmama|1320023891|3050701 said:

Here's the thing about that: I haven't seen any list of their wedding presents. I realize Catherine wasn't marring a POW but she's in line to be that and I remember Diana receiving spectacular jewels. We all know that Diana reset many of the jewels. She didn't have Camilla's jewels but she had a lot. Catherine hardly seems to have any. I don't understand.

Some people feel uncomfortable wearing lots of jewelry, or very huge and blingy pieces, and perhaps she's in that camp. Who knows? Also, people gave wedding presents to the charity of Will and Kate's choice, and so I assume they didn't receive much, if any, wedding jewelry, as Diana did in 1981. Kate did wear big huge blingy earrings to the "all-star" event in the United States, but we don't know where those earrings came from (do we?). They were blingy diamond chandelier style earrings if I remember correctly.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
TL|1320093170|3051206 said:
Ella|1319994848|3050419 said:
Please remember that this is not a thread for bashing royals but rather enjoying their jewels. Please keep the mean spirited comments off the forum.

Sorry Ella, I thought I was just making some commentary on the jewelry, not the people themselves. Not all royal jewelry is beautiful, and I was noting that piece and some of the other pieces I've seen Kate and her family wear. It is a pity that ring is an example of what people consider to be beautiful, and as this is a consumer forum, I thought it should be emphasized that her sapphire in the photos is not what many gem afficionados would consider a fine quality.

There is a difference between discussing the quality of the gems and the quality of the gems as it relates to her social status. Please keep the discussion on the former and you will be fine.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Catoo|1320002843|3050510 said:
Hello, I am new here and hope I am doing it right.

I have some clearer pictures of Catherine’s engagement ring
http://i44.tinypic.com/2aaiq6x.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/29oqzye.jpg
Maybe I am from old school but I have to say I love it.

Not big but clear image of Camilla’s ring
http://i40.tinypic.com/21o4ynq.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/bhbzma.jpg

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to post images. :confused:

Very nice close-ups, Catoo! Thanks for posting them here! I especially like the first one of the Cartier ring :)

PS: Welcome to the site!

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1319865305|3049827 said:
I AGREE with everything else you said. This ring was not really a jewel from the "court jeweler" - it was just a stock piece in Girrad's catalog. What could go wrong? :rolleyes: this should have been a custom, commissioned piece from Cartier- ar any other house that could do the job. The whole controversy about the dark color most importantly and the whole resetting/ restting publicity could have been avoided. And now Kate has to tote this hideous ring around and we have to look at it again. Yuck. :errrr:

I wish we could read a GIA report. It would be fascinating. Unfortunately, we never will.

Like it or not, Danny, the ring is a jewel from the Court Jeweller, as it is made by Garrard - the firm the back at the time was the official jeweller of the British royal court. Now, that may not've been the best item (both because of the evident dark [rather that deep] colour and the too common style) they ever made, but it surely has became a most recognisable one.
I do respectfully disagree with you that the ring is a hideous one.
And why do we think that just because a ring is to adorn the hand of a future Princess of Wales/Queen of GB&NI it has to be the one available? It is entirely possible that whoever chose to ring (The Prince of Wales/Lady Diana/x) didn't have 1/3 of the knowledge on gems of the posters here. I think it's fairly safe to say that the late Duke of Windsor and his brother The Duke of Kent were the last Windsor man with an eye for jewels.
What resetting publicity are you talking about? I've never read about the resetting on other places than here (and only beacuse a former poster has a sharp eye).
On another note, I've always thought that this ring is way too big for an ering, more suitable for a RHR.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Happy birthday to Princess Margaretha, Mrs. Ambler, eldest sister of HM The King of Sweden!!! May there be many happy returns!!!
MargDaisy18.jpg
PrincessMargarethaandQueenLouise.jpg
Margaretha4.png

Bobby

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1320113944|3051430 said:
Imdanny|1319865305|3049827 said:
I AGREE with everything else you said. This ring was not really a jewel from the "court jeweler" - it was just a stock piece in Girrad's catalog. What could go wrong? :rolleyes: this should have been a custom, commissioned piece from Cartier- ar any other house that could do the job. The whole controversy about the dark color most importantly and the whole resetting/ restting publicity could have been avoided. And now Kate has to tote this hideous ring around and we have to look at it again. Yuck. :errrr:

I wish we could read a GIA report. It would be fascinating. Unfortunately, we never will.

Like it or not, Danny, the ring is a jewel from the Court Jeweller, as it is made by Garrard - the firm the back at the time was the official jeweller of the British royal court. Now, that may not've been the best item (both because of the evident dark [rather that deep] colour and the too common style) they ever made, but it surely has became a most recognisable one.
I do respectfully disagree with you that the ring is a hideous one.
And why do we think that just because a ring is to adorn the hand of a future Princess of Wales/Queen of GB&NI it has to be the one available? It is entirely possible that whoever chose to ring (The Prince of Wales/Lady Diana/x) didn't have 1/3 of the knowledge on gems of the posters here. I think it's fairly safe to say that the late Duke of Windsor and his brother The Duke of Kent were the last Windsor man with an eye for jewels.
What resetting publicity are you talking about? I've never read about the resetting on other places than here (and only beacuse a former poster has a sharp eye).
On another note, I've always thought that this ring is way too big for an ering, more suitable for a RHR.

Bobby

Bobby,

I'm not sure why you take this tone with me. I know that Garrard was the court jeweler. But I am I wrong that this was a stock piece? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm not, it was a stock piece from the jeweler who happened to be the court jeweler at the time. Being able to say, "We're the court jeweler" is something that helped them in their business, sell their stock pieces. If we say about an historical jewel- "it was made by the court jeweler"- do we ever mean the jeweler had the warrant (or whatever it's called- Cartier had 15 of them or so at one point) but the piece at issue is a stock piece bought from one of the the jeweler's stores?

Why do you bring knowledge into it? I thought the court jeweler was supposed to have all the knowledge in the world.

Frankly, I think you feel like I insulted Charles, and not only have I been reminded not to do so by the moderator, this thread should have remained about royal jewels and not royals IMO. There are other forums on the internet to talk about royals. So I won't be giving my opinion on the buying decision again. I still think the ring is hideous. It's so very dark. Blue sapphires are so much more beautiful when they're not.

Danny

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1320124544|3051508 said:
I'm not sure why you take this tone with me. I know that Garrard was the court jeweler. But I am I wrong that this was a stock piece? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm not, it was a stock piece from the jeweler who happened to be the court jeweler at the time. Being able to say, "We're the court jeweler" is something that helped them in their business, sell their stock pieces. If we say about an historical jewel- "it was made by the court jeweler"- do we ever mean the jeweler had the warrant (or whatever it's called- Cartier had 15 of them or so at one point) but the piece at issue is a stock piece bought from one of the the jeweler's stores?

Why do you bring knowledge into it? I thought the court jeweler was supposed to have all the knowledge in the world.

Frankly, I think you feel like I insulted Charles, and not only have I been reminded not to do so by the moderator, this thread should have remained about royal jewels and not royals IMO. There are other forums on the internet to talk about royals. So I won't be giving my opinion on the buying decision again. I still think the ring is hideous. It's so very dark. Blue sapphires are so much more beautiful when they're not.

Danny

No, Danny. I'm not taking any tone, just explaining why I don't agree with you. Sorry if you've felt as if I was yelling at you.
You remeber correctly tht this is not a bespoke ring.
I brought knowledge to the discussion because I do think that not everybody who's going to buy/chose an engagement ring has to know how the perfect stone looks. You just like a jewel and buy it (if you can afford it).

And talking about sapphires without a gread colour, what do you (all) think about the black sapphire that Alexandra Manley received from Margrethe II as an engagement present? I've never been a huge fan of it.

Bobby

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Which sapphire do you mean - Bobby [of Prss Alexandra's ] this one.
Princess Alexandra's large black looking pendant.
My husband and I have fossicked for sapphires many years ago near a place called Glen Innes. You sift your shovel of dirt
around in a sieve in a precise way and tip the whole lot over very quickly. All the rubbish - meaning the black sapphire should be
in a neat circle in the middle of the tailings. You sift/look through that lot to find some colour - meaning light blue sapphire.
The black is thrown away. I am speaking of very small stuff here. Never found anything big enough to cut into a gem piece.
However, this piece that Prss Alexandra wears is rather stunning. If this is the piece that you refer to. The fact that it is so big
as a black sapphire might make it rare perhaps. I really don't know. Perhaps a gemologist might know. My brother-in-law
would have known, but sadly he has passed on. He had one of the best collections of rocks and crystals around. His collection
ranked in the top ten in the world. I will add a picture of one of his pieces here.
It is a piece of Mesolite from Poona India, worth $10,000. Now in a museum for all to enjoy. If I may quote from a poem - "It shows what perfect work God can do." Imagine pulling that up out of the dirt and cleaning it without breaking the delicate stems. ;-)

Prss%20Alexandra%20Dk%20choker%20and%20ring.jpg
Prss%20Alexandra%20Dk%20earrings.jpg
1%20Mesolite%20from%20Poona%20India%20$10,000%20Mary%20st%20Museum.jpg

AmayasV

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1320115253|3051446 said:
Happy birthday to Princess Margaretha, Mrs. Ambler, eldest sister of HM The King of Sweden!!! May there be many happy returns!!!
MargDaisy18.jpg
PrincessMargarethaandQueenLouise.jpg
Margaretha4.png

Bobby
margaretha.jpg

@ CP Victoria's wedding

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
dont think i have seen the tiara and blue stone brooch worn by princess margaretha (sp) to cp victoria's wedding. Any info please (assume they are acquamarines?), family history. Thanks.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
laurensmama|1320271277|3052830 said:
dont think i have seen the tiara and blue stone brooch worn by princess margaretha (sp) to cp victoria's wedding. Any info please (assume they are acquamarines?), family history. Thanks.

yes it was worn during CP Victorias wedding 2010
here the princess (very smal, the green dress middle, back row, behind Princess Madeleine)

the stones (yes aquamarines) where discussed some pages ago ..during the wedding time about p229

102233295.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
HM during the Commonwealth meeting and.... yes... aquamarines again. (from Brazil)

130695838.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Dagmar|1320179422|3051919 said:
Which sapphire do you mean - Bobby [of Prss Alexandra's ] this one.
Princess Alexandra's large black looking pendant.

Yes, Princess Dagmar, this is the sapphire and diamond pendant that I meant. Certainly not an ugly piece, but I would've liked it more if the stone was blue.
The piece from your brother-in-law's collection is abfab!

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

As Alexander already mentioned, the tiara, as well as the other jewels, are made form diamonds and (large) aquamarines. The tiara and the large brooch were made for Crown Princess Margaret, but there aren't photographs of her wearing either jewel. As far as I remeber, the aquamarines came from her own collection. Anyway... After her pre-mature death the jewels were inherited by Prince Gustaf Adolf, Duke of Västerbotten and he gave tiara and brooch as a wedding present to his bride-to-be, Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha, who wore the tiara at thier pre-wedding ball.
This tiara was one of the more regularly seen on Princess Sibylla. She wore it with her pearl necklace, a diamond riviere and even (in a b/w photo) with her sapphire and diamond necklace and earrings. HRH gave the tiara (and brooch?) to her eldest daughter as wedding present in 1964.
The aquamarine earrings were a wedding present form the Princess' Swedish grandfather, King Gustaf VI Adolf. At the wedding of her niece Princess Margaretha also wore an aqua and diamond bracelet and two rings.

Bobby

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Crown Princess Margarethe of Sweden must have had a wonderful collection of jewels. How sad she didn't live her full
life so we could see her wearing her many wonderful pieces.
I agree that Princess Alexandra's sapphire would have looked much better if it was much lighter in colour.

AmayasV

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1320278217|3052900 said:

As Alexander already mentioned, the tiara, as well as the other jewels, are made form diamonds and (large) aquamarines. The tiara and the large brooch were made for Crown Princess Margaret, but there aren't photographs of her wearing either jewel. As far as I remeber, the aquamarines came from her own collection. Anyway... After her pre-mature death the jewels were inherited by Prince Gustaf Adolf, Duke of Västerbotten and he gave tiara and brooch as a wedding present to his bride-to-be, Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha, who wore the tiara at thier pre-wedding ball.
This tiara was one of the more regularly seen on Princess Sibylla. She wore it with her pearl necklace, a diamond riviere and even (in a b/w photo) with her sapphire and diamond necklace and earrings. HRH gave the tiara (and brooch?) to her eldest daughter as wedding present in 1964.
The aquamarine earrings were a wedding present form the Princess' Swedish grandfather, King Gustaf VI Adolf. At the wedding of her niece Princess Margaretha also wore an aqua and diamond bracelet and two rings.

Bobby

sybilla_0.jpg

happyfeet

Rough_Rock
It so pretty and so different. I like different :love:

happyfeet

Rough_Rock
Question to anyone,

The women have all these events and state dinners they go to. Some of the women wear brooches with ribbons behind them.
They wear sashes with different things on them, in different areas to the shoulder to the v at the hip line. How do they know what to wear and were to place what item and what is not enough or to much? :read:

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
happyfeet|1320373992|3053631 said:
Question to anyone,

The women have all these events and state dinners they go to. Some of the women wear brooches with ribbons behind them.
They wear sashes with different things on them, in different areas to the shoulder to the v at the hip line. How do they know what to wear and were to place what item and what is not enough or to much? :read:

those sashes are part of the orders of the decorations which is in question. above you see the danish order of the elephant, the sweedish order of Seraphim, the Queen wore the new (founded in the 2000's Australia order) every country got some different military and cicil orders.
when you get an invitation f.e. a galadiner or a statevisit than you will find a "dressing code" f.e. ascot in mourning suit (that means ladies wore short dress) or white tie ball - that means long dress for the lady - with the last its sometimes mentioned "and decorations" which mean - when you got one you were them. for example when visiting a foreign country - than you wore the higgest order which you get from the inviting party f.e. when HM visit Denmark she wore the Ordre of the elephant (in style of grand cross, knight etc) and the danish Queen (mostly her own danish) and return, the HM wore the Garter and the danish Queen too.

the smaller "brooches" with miniatures of the sovereign (f.e. King George V, King Carl Gustav etc.) are the different family orders of the royal houses.

military orders are given - as it said itself - by army or military in question
civil - f. e. german Verdienstorden - is given by the Bundespresident (or Minsiterpresident of the Bundesland (country)
family orders - given by the sovereign in question.

here is to say that f.e. Queen Elizabeth got 2 which are worn mostly King George V and King George VI. (mainly only 2 are worn) HM the Queen Mother wore also 2 - those of her daughter the Queen, and her husband King George VI (and not Geroge V)

all members of the senior branches of HM's family (exept Kate - sofar) are members of Queen Elizabeth order

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Alexander, I think you've made a small mistake - when a foreign head of state/royal visits a country and attends an appropriate event then s/he wears the highest order from that counry, while the host, members of his family and other guests woud wear the highest order from the visiting country if any are available to him/her. If not, then other rules should be followed.
To give an example - Imagine a State Visit by Elizabeth IIto Spain - The British Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh both have the Grand Cross of the Order of Carlos III, but The Queen also has the Golden Fleece, which is one step higher. Don Juan Carlos I has the Garter and the Prince of Asturias - the Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order (GCVO). Before this imaginary State Vsit The Queen (Sofia) didn't have a British decoration to wear, but her British cousin has decided to grant her the GCVO. Then at the State Banquet (and at the return one, if white tie) The Queen and The Queen would wear their British honours - The Garter and the GCVO, respectively, while the PoA would display for yet another time his GCVO. The Princess of Asturias, her royal sisters-in-law and the Infantas Pilar and Margarita (in case they all attend) would wear the Order of Carlos III. Elizabeth II would proudly wear the badge of the Golden Fleece, while The Duke of Edinburgh would have to do with the Grand Cross of the Order of Carlos III.
This applies in full force for any other country that may be involved.

Bobby

AmayasV

Rough_Rock
when HM visit Denmark she wore the Ordre of the elephant (in style of grand cross, knight etc) and the danish Queen (mostly her own danish) and return, the HM wore the Garter and the danish Queen too.

elibabeth%20magrethe.jpg

Queen Elizabeth II arrived for the official dinner given by Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik at Christiansborg Castle 17th May 1979.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here are two articles about orders ond decorations - when you wear them, why you receive them and how to tell them apart. There are also some pretty good visuals :)

Part 1: http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2011/09/royal-splendor-101-sashes-and-stuff.html
Part 2: http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2011/09/royal-splendor-101-sashes-and-stuff_26.html

And another one about Family Orders: http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2011/09/royal-splendor-101-royal-family-orders.html

Hope you'll enjoy them!
Bobby

Catoo

Rough_Rock
Bobby, thank you very much for nice welcome!

P.S. I hope this time it works. I have a very heard time log in on this forum or change my password.
I just posted a reply to someone and it does not show :confused:
Am I doing something wrong?

Catoo

Rough_Rock
dmacdumes|1320017244|3050634 said:
A bit of a puzzle: her ring is usually described as 18K white gold but it sure looks like yellow gold to me from these photos. Maybe the original eight-prong setting was white gold and it was changed to yellow with the addition of multiple prongs?

On the page #341 on this forum there is a picture of Catherine shaking hand with someone and we can see her 2 rings side by side. It looks that it is a white gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results