shape
carat
color
clarity

Violet diamonds

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
The orangy-pink heart : "Don't look at the cutting, the windowing or the clarity :knockout: . . . but isn't that color to astonishing?"

Well, I don't do windows but actually don't mind a bit of inclusion (if I wanted perfect, I'd get a cz, inclusions are fascinating creatures, etc.) but the color - you better believe it - astonishing.

Oh, and the dear little thing has fluorescence, too = :love:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1307048159|2936428 said:
crasru|1307047493|2936420 said:
I am sorry for my question... never bought colored diamonds. Can one actually see 7 points?

Oh yes, especially if the color is saturated.

In the FCD world, unless you have Oprah's budget, you adjust your size expectations.
In the rarest colors you are just NOT going to find or afford a 1-ct, or even a half carat.

People who know FCDs know to focus on the color and that size takes more of a back seat than with white diamonds.
Sure bigger is better but in FCDs it's all about Color Color and Color and this one HAS the Color.

You know how we talk about dog-years?
I think of FCDs in FCD-carats.
1 FCD carat = 12 regular carats.
A saturated rare-color FCD can cost what a 10 - 15 ct white diamond costs.
I just went to Bluenile's huge database and found an Ideal cut round 3.57 ct AGS I SI2 for the same price I just paid for a 10-point red.
FCDs are a whole different world size-wize.

So in white diamond carats this 7-point is like a, 0.90 carat diamond.

Here's a pic I took that includes an average-size man's hand for size reference.
The Fancy Intense Greenish Blue pear at the bottom is 8-points.
Also pears face up large for their weight, though this bulky 7-pt under consideration may not.
Thank you for this picture. I've often wondered what they would look like in real life (and not gonna lie, I've daydreamed of fondling your stones, Kenny). This picture realllly shows off the color of the stones. Amazing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
backwardsandinheels|1307144184|2937290 said:
Sorry, forgot one more thing-why are they cut so poorly if they're so rare and special?

If this was cut well it would end up even less than 7-points.
They probably could have cut it even worse and got a 10-point "gem".

It's a trade off.
The owner made a business decision between smaller and better cut.
The owner must have felt that 7-points with this appearance is where she/he could get the highest price for that rough.

In the white diamond world it would have been cut down much further.
FCD people will forgive wonky cut and go gaga just for color more-so than white-diamond buyers.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
You've chosen not to keep this one, Kenny?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Dude...that thing is hideous, lol. I get that it's a collectors piece but sheesh.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1307364248|2938835 said:

Leibish recommend I not buy it as it would not meet the standards of it's playmates.

Imagine that, a vendor discouraging a sale. :-o
To me that is Nordstrum-like customer service.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
It's good to hear about great customer service. Leibish have your interests at heart as a valued repeat client !

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1307371649|2938925 said:

Leibish recommend I not buy it as it would not meet the standards of it's playmates.

I was posting in another thread where James Allen discouraged the OP from buying a particular princess-cut diamond because of the position of the inclusions and how they posed a structural risk. We have some really classy vendors here! :appl:

Anyway, I'm glad you didn't get the new violet one as the cutting was just awful! I like yours a million times better, even if it is a little greyish in comparison.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny - seriously how good is your eyesight???? The cut only looks that bad because it's blown up a million times. It won't look half as bad in real life - you'll see the colour not the cut. :geek:

Behave yourself and get out of the Rocky Talky mindset, reach into your wallet and make that call!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dkodner|1307141033|2937227 said:
Sorry Kenny, not for sale, just under a carat.....and of course, it looks much nicer in person...

TEASE!! :devil: ;(

ideal5555

Rough_Rock
love that photo of the rainbows around the white diamond. excuse me for my lack of ps terms classifying their shapes.
:love:

anything new in the books for kenny?

Tom Gelb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
kenny|1307142066|2937246 said:
Sorry Kenny, not for sale, just under a carat.....and of course, it looks much nicer in person...

David, if a FDV just under a carat were for sale (not that heart, a hypothetical one) what would be the price range . . . oh . . . give or take a few hundred thou?

Is pure violet more rare than pure red?
GIA has 9 saturation/Tone levels but for pure red only one, Fancy Red.
Does GIA have all 9 saturation levels for pure violet?

Hello Kenny,

The GIA colored diamond color grading system has all grades for the Violet hue, from Faint Violet through Vivid Violet. Good luck finding one though.

All the best

gongli

Rough_Rock
kenny|1307371649|2938925 said:

i wonder if the owner could've sold it at this price if it were cut better and smaller? i think it would atleast have a broader appeal than FCD fanciers.. and i would guess there's probably some "variation" in prices. every intense violet 6point stone isn't going to sell for the same price, some of it is just what the seller decides to name as their price. if i had the money to buy this stone i'd probably think of it as a rough that's been preformed or shaped, and i'd have its cutting completed. but talk is all i can do about that stone!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tom Gelb|1319826049|3049494 said:
kenny|1307142066|2937246 said:

David, if a FDV just under a carat were for sale (not that heart, a hypothetical one) what would be the price range . . . oh . . . give or take a few hundred thou?

Is pure violet more rare than pure red?
GIA has 9 saturation/Tone levels but for pure red only one, Fancy Red.
Does GIA have all 9 saturation levels for pure violet?

Hello Kenny,

The GIA colored diamond color grading system has all grades for the Violet hue, from Faint Violet through Vivid Violet. Good luck finding one though.

All the best

Thanks Tom. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results