shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions from a lurker- BGD/ID jewelry bezel migrain studs

Hi everyone! As I'm sure you gathered from the title, I'm in the market for some bezeled migrained studs. Round brilliants, H-I, VS2-SI1, about 0.8-1.0ctw, set in platinum. I'm leaning towards going with BGD over ID Jewelry because I think I'll like their setting better, but I wanted more input. So what I'm wondering is a few random (and maybe silly) questions-

Who makes a lower setting- BGD or ID Jewelry?

Would the BGD studs tilt downward at all since they don't really have a basket?

I read on here that martinis may stretch your earring hole... would the BGD bezel setting do the same?

Once on, do screwbacks have any part of the threaded portion of the post that would be in your ear? Or is that portion all smooth?

Who would you personally pick to make these earrings (answer not limited to BGD and ID)? And you can tell me why if you're bored :)

Thanks for answering all my random questions!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Questions from a lurker- BGD/ID jewelry bezel migrain s

I can't answer any of your BGD questions: I can tell you about the ID studs, since I got a pair. I went with ID because I liked their customer service more, I liked their prices more, and I liked their milgrain more: BGD's looks very chunky to me.

Will also say, screwbacks are a pain in the, er, ear - normal backs are just fine generally in terms of safety, and you can get La Pousette if you're really worried, but eschew the screwbacks! They are a nightmare to put on and take off.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

I have BGD bezel studs (0.8 ctw) and love them. They do not tip over and I find the way the setting is done to be very comfortable with the u-shape against the ear (some settings have more of a v-shape which can dig into the earlobe...I am not sure what ID's setting is like from that angle). The BGD settings do not stretch the earring hole at all. Also, I have never tried screwbacks, but I have read that they are uncomfortable (I believe the posts have to be larger). I have regular friction backs and I have not had any problems.

ETA I do not have milgrain so cannot comment on the milgrain! I'm sure if you do a search you can find many examples of bezel studs from both vendors...these are very popular :)

CrisM

Shiny_Rock

I just upgraded my "duds" to IDJ studs, just shy of .8 bezel yellow gold with normal backs and am so pleased I walked out wearing them. They sit very flush to the ear - which I did not expect - despite being a basket setting. The bezel itself is delicate and thin. I had screwbacks that were comfortable but a nuisance to get on and off.

I really like the pictures of BGD bezels, but IDJ won me over with price, the bezel (thin) and in my case they're nearby. Yukutiel was very accommodating and friendly. I would have had as much fun at IDJ if it were a candy shop. Wait, it is candy!

As for tilting, I think it has more to do with the weight of the studs and size of your lobes. I have smallish lobes and the 1ct basket I tried drooped on me. But "your mileage may vary". I'm glad I had the opportunity to try on a couple of pairs to see what I actually liked versus what I thought I would like based on pictures alone.

Good luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, they are in two entirely different categories as far as I am concerned. I have the BG milgrain pendant and not the studs, so I am commenting on the quality of the setting and milgrain. But the BG ones do not have a pointed martini base, so they certainly would not stretch the ear hole. I see no reason why they would tilt. They are made very much like the Tiffany ones.

The ID Jewelry ones are just stock settings with some milgrain added, I believe. The BGD are custom handmade for the stones. The milgrain on BG's is very fine, delicate, and beautiful. This is a case where I might want the cheaper ones for an inexpensive pair of diamonds, but I would want the BG ones for my best (forever) studs.

piggies

Rough_Rock

Ah, diamondseeker, you had to bring it up since you know what a T&Co whore I am, haha. You know, if they had a set with milgrain on them, they'd probably be in my ears already :) But I'll admit, those earrings seem especially overpriced- even for Tiffany!

Yeah, I did a little homework searching the old posts here and it seems that ID Jewelry and BGD are the most popular for the bezeled milgrained studs. And thanks to those who alleviated my stretching fears. I am still leaning towards screwbacks since I have thicker earrings in already-16 or 18 gauge, I forget.... stainless steel body jewelry (I think technically nose rings?) so I am not worried about thickness of the post. I was more concerned about the threaded part of the post flossing my ear after they are put on. And security is important because I plan on leaving them in all the time and sleeping in them. (And I'm sure this is where a lot of you diamond cleaning lovers just cringed in horror- sorry!)

Thanks so much for the input so far! Still welcoming more input!! Would love lots of different opinions. Thanks all!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hi Piggies, I just purchased a .83ctw set of 3 prong martini studs about a month + ago, and love them! I found the diamond selection, payment and shipment process to be seamless thru Jamie and Denise. I have only taken them out to clean them but they are very comfortable and feel very secure w just the friction backs. I also enquired about the screwback and their suggestion was that they can be a bit uncomfortable to wear and attach, so I took the advice and went tension.
I went w J signature diamonds set in white gold and they are WOW in my opinion. :love:
Its only been a short time, but I see no 'droop' when I wear them (again, as mentioned in other posts, that could be a size/weight thing w the diamond only) and they are not affecting the pierced hole in any way.

Whatever you go with, enjoy and wear in health and happiness :saint:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have the BGD ones about .72tcw I think? I can't actually remember. *BAD PSER* Just regular pushbacks ... no screw on ... so I did almost lose one once while towel drying my hair. I wear them tight so if I leave them on for a long time my piercings do seem a bit stretched out. They don't tip over. But don't *exactly* lay flat unless worn tight. Not so comfy to sleep in w/o rubber thingies on the back.

Overall I've been very pleased with them though. Good luck on your search!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results