shape
carat
color
clarity

mounting a new diamond/happy Whiteflash customer!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jennalyns

Shiny_Rock
hi! I got my diamond from whiteflash, so far so good! it got to me in japan in 4 days.
9.gif
it's gorgeous, and sparkles like crazy!! i'll get it checked out of course, but as far as I can see it's gorgeous!!
30.gif
i can't believe how much of a difference the cut makes..... it's a .33 ct cut above, H color, SI1 clarity. it's beautiful, almost blinding in the sunlight. it's also slightly bigger than the stone i have, even though it's the same carat... I have to hunt to find the inclusion with the loupe, and I can kinda-maybe-if-i-cross-my-eyes ALMOST see it when the diamond's upside-down and immediately after i found it with the loupe, but otherwise it's totally eye clean, especially facing up!
36.gif

my question is, what do y'all do about getting your online-purchased diamonds mounted, when you already own the setting? i took it to three japanese jewelers today, and they wouldn't even look at the stone other than to say it was beautiful, and said they couldn't switch it, and that no jeweler would here. why would that be?? is it too much liability for them to work with another jeweler's stone? or maybe they just didn't want to deal with my very poor Japanese language skills...
2.gif
would I be better off sending the diamond back to whiteflash with my setting, and asking them to do it, or having a local jeweler set it when i go to texas for christmas? i know whiteflash is in houston, but i'll be a more than 8 hour drive from there! kay's (where my fiance got the ring) said it would take 5-7 days to set it... what are the risks involved in that? i've heard to have them set it in front of you, so why would they take so long? i keep hearing misplaced stone horror stories... what's the safest way to get a stone set? i will probably just send it to whiteflash since they're making a pendant (half-bezel, to match my ring)for my existing stone anyway, so that would probably be easier too.... hmm...

i took some cool pictures of the diamond through the H&A viewer, but i can't figure out how to shrink them so they'll post... i'll definitely post a pic of the whole ring when it's finished. thanks for all the help you guys gave me in trying to decide! whiteflash was great, Denise helped me and answered all my emails and newbie questions, and it was nice that I got such individual, caring attention even though i wasn't spending $10K, and not once did she make me feel like I needed to go with a bigger size (like the people in the stores did). i also got one of their jewelry cases, it's small (perfect size), cute, well-made, and purple, and perfect for all the travelling i do! WONDERFUL customer service, i highly recommend them and now I'm not afraid of buying diamonds online!!!!

on a side note, my original e-ring is a .10 diamond in a really cool white gold bezel-type setting, that i sized to a pinky ring that i wear at all times on my right hand... the diamond has always sparkled like crazy, so of course when i got the h&a viewer from whiteflash i checked out all my other jewelry too. :) the diamond in my wedding set has arrows, but only 5 clear ones and two more that aren't clear, it looks like one is missing, is that even possible?? but the .10 diamond has an arrows pattern almost as perfect as the "cut above" one! it's not certified or anything, but my fiance said it was pretty expensive for the size, and it's always been a little fire ball... do they even cut diamonds that small with an ideal cut? it's pretty cool to see that pattern in it! sorry this is so long, but i'm really happy with my purchase and want to do the mounting right!!
1.gif
thanks again for all the information!!!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oooo, congratulations!!!!

What kind of setting are you planning on having your new baby set into? If it''s a simple setting, then why not wait until you get back to Texas? If you''re worried, then send the diamond to WF *when* you''re in Texas so at least you can save on postage one way.

They *do* cut melee to H&A standards, though I don''t think it''s common. Guess you lucked out!

jennalyns

Shiny_Rock
Hest, it''s a half-bezel with channel set side stones, the one in my avatar. :) it looks more complicated than prongs... I decided to mail it to whiteflash after Thanksgiving, i feel safest that way! btw, probably a silly question, but what''s a melee? :)

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/23/2004 9:36:27 PM
Author: jennalyns
Hest, it''s a half-bezel with channel set side stones, the one in my avatar. :) it looks more complicated than prongs... I decided to mail it to whiteflash after Thanksgiving, i feel safest that way! btw, probably a silly question, but what''s a melee? :)
Hey Jenn:

A melee diamond is typically a smaller diamond less than .20 carats in weight. There are numerous applications in jewelry, but the most common use I have seen is when melee''s are utilized to accent a larger center stone..
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results