shape
carat
color
clarity

Don'tcha wish we had a PS "Hand Sign?"

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I was working with a customer today with a particularly gorgeous ring, who then complimented me on mine. She looked at it closer and said, "That's an OMC, huh?" I told her that it was, and I asked her if she worked in jewelry. She said no, but that she was just a jewelry enthusiast. Since I was at work, and if her answer had been no, I would have felt VERY awkward asking if she were a member of PS.

Then I got to thinking how perrrrrrfect it would be if we had a hand sign. If you see someone who may or may not be a pricescoper, what if you could just do a hand gesture and figure it out, without the awkward conversation? And if so, what would it even be? :lol: :lol: :lol:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Ya know, the fact that she mentioned she was an enthusiast kind of opened up for you to add that you are as well, so much in fact that you spend some of your spare time on this great jewelry forum called PS! I'm sue she would have jumped at the chance to say she was too.

But, a hand sign would be kind cool too. Not sure what it could be, while being obvious enough to be noticed by this in the know, but not outlandish enough for people who weren't to not slowly creep away from the weirdo they were talking to :lol:

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
First DH tried to read the post and had to ask, "what is OMC?" ...oh, "What is and old mine cut?"...."What is PS"....Finally, when he put it all together he made the suggestion that the hand signal should be flipping the bird with your ring finger :rolleyes:

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1316218069|3019187 said:
First DH tried to read the post and had to ask, "what is OMC?" ...oh, "What is and old mine cut?"...."What is PS"....Finally, when he put it all together he made the suggestion that the hand signal should be flipping the bird with your ring finger :rolleyes:

Haha, nice!

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Interesting. If not a hand sign - how about maybe a code word or phrase?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just say "Pricescope" and see what the reaction is. So far I've only gotten confusion. But I'm hopeful!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I like the "Pricescope" idea...I think a hand signal may be just as awkward.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1316225669|3019264 said:
I just say "Pricescope" and see what the reaction is. So far I've only gotten confusion. But I'm hopeful!

that would seem like the obvious 'code word'!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1316217377|3019180 said:
Then I got to thinking how perrrrrrfect it would be if we had a hand sign. If you see someone who may or may not be a pricescoper, what if you could just do a hand gesture and figure it out, without the awkward conversation? And if so, what would it even be? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old 3 stooges movies can represent a great source for this. I support this project!

(But "Pricescope?" works for me too...

Ira Z.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote for the hand jive.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
When I've wondered if a person is a covert PSer, I just casually mention that I go to this website that has a lot of jewelry info on it. Everyone so far as seemed completely surprised that such a thing exists. So, I've either never met a PSer or not one who wanted to meet me anyway!

A hand sign would be great, but you might get a few awkward looks if you look like you're calling plays or something. After you've admired someone's rock and then start tugging your ear, they're gonna think they're about to get rolled.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's funny ss. Actually, you're right. If you look at any woman's diamonds for too long they always get suspicious and pull back. I never thought of myself as looking like a gem thief!

Even when I have been in the right place to mention Pricescope, the name seems to piss salespeople off. OK, well that was one place. I was so surprised by that. Hearing the word Pricescope was a real annoyance to them. Then again, when I went into Yekutiel & Tammy's shop to loupe my newest diamond (the Bella stone), I got an unbelievable welcome. I thought a red carpet was going to drop out of the ceiling and roll out in front of me! But I've never met a PSer by accident, say in a store while we were both shopping. I've only met PSers on purpose! (for dinners and get togethers and shopping trips).

What's sign language for diamond? I have to look that up.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

OK, the sign language for diamond is to hold out your left hand with your fingers apart, touch your ring finger of your left hand with your right pointer finger and pull your right pointer finger back right away. You can see it done on the website above. In fact you can look up any word there. I looked up "diamond".

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I've met a couple PSers coming into my work. Usually they recognize me by my tatt (see: avatar pic) and/or my ring :rodent: Both were totally sweet and we had fun chatting and stuff.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I was just being silly. I can't imagine any hand sign that wouldn't be ridiculous. Although the "diamond" in sign language is pretty good!

I've tried the whole "Pricescope" angle before and it got awkward real fast!

And yes, I've noticed most jewelry stores I've been to aren't crazy impressed with a mention of PS as well. Sorry, I'm not interested in your green quartz ring for $4k.

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
OUpeargirl|1316218418|3019194 said:
Sparkly Blonde|1316218069|3019187 said:

Haha, nice!

Hilarity :lol:

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
:lol: It reminds me of Fight Club!!!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
That would be pretty amazing, I know I often find myself wondering if someone around me is a ps'er.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
gemgirl|1316286580|3019589 said:

OK, the sign language for diamond is to hold out your left hand with your fingers apart, touch your ring finger of your left hand with your right pointer finger and pull your right pointer finger back right away. You can see it done on the website above. In fact you can look up any word there. I looked up "diamond".

As someone fluent in sign I just got so excited you looked that up!!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling|1316561356|3021722 said:
gemgirl|1316286580|3019589 said:

As someone fluent in sign I just got so excited you looked that up!!

;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results