shape
carat
color
clarity

Can Morganite be worn everyday?

brtb

Rough_Rock
I previously posted a thread about getting a morganite engagement ring made. I've read conflicting things about its hardness.

Would it be okay to wear this stone in an engagment ring setting everyday? I basically sit at my computer from 8-5, and always take off my jewelry when I'm at home. I rarely wear rings on the weekends, except if we're going out. I'm not one of those people who washes dishes with rings on or wears jewelry in the shower.

I saw a beautiful morganite engagement ring that I love so much. But, I want to be 100% sure it will last forever.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would be wary about morganite as it's brittle. I'm not sure I'd choose it as an everyday ring.

You can get sapphires or spinels in similar colours which would be a better choice IMO.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Morganite belongs to the beryl family (like aquamarine and emerald). It has sufficient hardness but unfortunately, is also rather brittle. I’m not sure if it’s a stone I would recommend as an everyday wear ring.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the posters above. Spinel should be quite affordable, but sapphire is touch more durable.

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
IMHO, it would really depend on the setting you want to mount it in. Beryls are high enough on the hardness scale but are less than bullet proof on toughness. If it's in a protected mounting though, I don't see any reason why you couldn't wear it on an everyday basis.

Pete

brtb

Rough_Rock
I'm thinking of a rose gold halo setting. I am leaning more towards the morganite, for some reason I just have my heart set on it. I am pretty easy on my jewelry. Thanks!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
brtb|1316453611|3020735 said:
I'm thinking of a rose gold halo setting. I am leaning more towards the morganite, for some reason I just have my heart set on it. I am pretty easy on my jewelry. Thanks!

If you have your heart set on it then you must get it. There ARE risks and if you accept those and you're easy on your jewellery then buy what you want. However, one thing to bear in mind - it doesn't matter how easy you are on your jewellery there will always be occasions when you knock your hand on a door or a drawer or something. It happens. Some stones can take a hit and come out alive but with more brittle gemstones the odds are not in your favour.

One thing you need to think about ............... IF something happens to your ring, would you be okay buying a replacement gemstone or will it break your heart? If it'll break your heart then look at other options. If you're pretty cool about getting it replaced, the stone not setting, when needed (a bit like buying a newer up to date model!) then I would lean more to buying it.

brtb

Rough_Rock
"One thing you need to think about ............... IF something happens to your ring, would you be okay buying a replacement gemstone or will it break your heart? If it'll break your heart then look at other options. If you're pretty cool about getting it replaced, the stone not setting, when needed (a bit like buying a newer up to date model!) then I would lean more to buying it. "

Good point. If something happens to the original stone I would just probably upgrade to a diamond. They set I'm in love with is on Etsy. I wonder if I can post a picture here. I haven't actually bought it yet. I've just been admiring it for a very long time!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes you can post a picture on here but be warned, sometimes lurkers will jump in and buy it from under you. If the seller can make another then there's no problem but if it's a one-off, I wouldn't risk it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results