carat
color
clarity

What purchase do you most regret?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
centralsquare|1315890709|3016315 said:
Goodness, Junebug, that would freak me out!!

I know, tell me about it lol! Steven King should make this demon machine the main character of his next book, it would be his biggest bestseller ever.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
junebug17|1315891980|3016319 said:

I know, tell me about it lol! Steven King should make this demon machine the main character of his next book, it would be his biggest bestseller ever.

I was just thinking, given his history of possessed cars/dry-cleaning equipment/etc., the washing machine would be a totally plausible next step! Not so fun to live with, though .... :errrr:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1315892811|3016321 said:
junebug17|1315891980|3016319 said:

I was just thinking, given his history of possessed cars/dry-cleaning equipment/etc., the washing machine would be a totally plausible next step! Not so fun to live with, though .... :errrr:

If he did write a bok about a washing machine, I'd never do laundry again! I'd be too scared to go in the laundry room!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1315888331|3016293 said:
LGK|1315863357|3016020 said:
Another "purchase" I'm trying realllly hard not to regret, but am a little :(sad is adopting the adult cat we got after Rat died. Dex is a beautiful guy, and he likes being close to me, but he pees everywhere and hates DH, and he's sort of... feral. Poor boy. Obviously we're keeping him- prickly or not, I love the boy and he's my kitty- but he doesn't really like to be touched, which sucks. Mostly because he desperately *wants* to be petted, but when you try he rolls up into a miserable, defensive ball and bites and scratches. I taught him to scale it down to licking and batting with no claws, but it's still very difficult for him- he'll lean on me and beg to be petted and then flop over and instantly grab me, lick, and kick defensively. I don't know, I'm glad to give him a home when he would've never been adopted I'm sure, but after having two boys who were very affectionate, it's tough to adjust to poor prickly Dex. He's been happier now that we got him a buddy, kitten Bug, but he's still very skittish around DH and I'm pretty sure he's convinced DH is going to take his remaining eye. And it is tough for DH because he adores cats and knows Dex is afraid of him. Plus the peeing sucks. He peed on a silk skirt a week ago, and my favorite dress the week before that. Mostly if I keep the bedroom door closed it stops the peeing, but he is sneaky and gets in there anyway and voila, pee. :???:

Hi LGK... I didn't know you feel this way about Dex. He sounds like a cross between my Frodo and my Lucy. Both of them took YEARS to warm up... but they have steadily improved with time and patience. Frodo used to spend all his time under the bed. And when he'd come out he'd come up for pets.... but stay just out of reach meowing. Lucy would bite and scratch defensively, but would want pets and love... and then feel SO guilty she was bad when she struck out she'd go huddle in a little ball of self torturing misery. It's been 3 years and Lucy spends the night perched on one or the other of us. We move slowly and don't pet her unless she can see it but we can pet her. And she only bites very occasionally and doesn't break skin and still feels guilty but gets over it better AND... (this is big) I can pick her up and carry her around without swaddling her and getting bit and bloody. It's been a long road, but we love her in part because of how much progress she's made. Frodo cuddles everyday and comes out now even when we have (quiet) strangers over (he runs back if they make loud noises or scare him but he comes out!).

We kinda regret Merlin. He's very cuddly but... he bullies the other cats and disrupts the balance our others had struck. So there's been a lot of fighting and tension since we got him 10 months ago. It's getting better. But he still uses Duncan as his own personal body pillow (and Duncan and is older and achy and doesn't need 15 pounds of Merlin on him), still chases Frodo till he hisses (in the 6 years we've had him he had hissed ONE TIME before Merlin). But... it's getting better. I'm hopeful that as time goes on he'll integrate better. But for now... the cats are insecure (especially Duncan who is afraid he's been replaced) and tense and we are regretful. It'll work out though.

I know your situation will too!
Gypsy, that actually made me feel a lot better. I am glad to hear your two skitty-kitties warmed up. I have wondered if Dex ever will- poor thing, he does *want* love so bad! He has gotten a little better already- less fearful of DH- but the prickliness makes *him* unhappy, a lot like your Lucy sounds. He did stop drawing blood on me at least- I was all over scratches for about a month after we got him, but finally he learned that me yelling OW meant, please withdraw your pointy bits from my flesh! He still bleeds DH though- I get the "early warning system" of licking, but he goes straight to fangs on DH.

And yeah, this was the first time I mentioned some of the issues we've had with Dex- I kept hoping that all would magically be well overnight :rolleyes:) At least Bug has been a huge blessing- he's super cuddly, loves DH and adores his Dex, and Dex, I'm pretty sure, thinks he gave birth to Bug himself, he spends so much time licking and snuggling him. It is scary getting a new cat- you really can't predict how they'll all inter-relate, and it's sheer luck sometimes when it works out (or doesn't). They just don't like change much, do they? I hope Merlin stops with the bullying, that's got to be frustrating for all.

I did recently discover Dex actually goes totally limp if I pick him up and start walking around toting him. It's funny- he leaps out of your arms instantly if you stand still, but if you start lugging him around (he's gotten HUGE, his back legs drape down almost to my knees!) he'll just droop peacefully and sniff stuff. We do that a lot these days, since it's one of the only ways he can chill and get attention.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
We have had moments where we regretted keeping our old house to rent out and buying another but ultimately its a good long term investment so I don't really regret it, even if it is a pain at times sorting everything out.

My worst regret purchase wise is my solitaire - it was a replacement for my original engagement ring that I lost and I thought I wanted a solitaire this time. The stone is fine (although a little deep I suspect) but its setting is so boring and blah and it just looks so not special on my hand, honestly if I lost it in a box of solitaires I doubt I could pick it out! I wish I had waited and done so much more research and tried so many more rings on - I had no idea that warmer coloured diamonds were so lovely or that I would have loved a coloured stone instead. Its not a size issue, I think any sized stone looks great in the right setting (although diamonds do seem to shrink a bit when they get home don't they?!) I just think in hindsight I made the wrong choice because I rushed the decision.

Mr L isn't sentimental about engagement rings (which is lucky as no 1 went back to the shop, no 2 was lost although re found much later, and now I don't like no 3) and understands the obsession so one day I'll do a big project but for now I am resetting the oval in the next couple of months and fingers crossed it looks better. :roll:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1315888330|3016292 said:
Reading about just how many regrets there are re: leather sofas, I feel like I should start a separate thread getting advice on how/where to find a good one! I had no idea it was so complicated .... :-o

As one of the regreters - don't get me wrong, great sofa, wrong time in life. Our last living room was this huge L shaped thing, about 22 feet long by 15 feet wide for the bigger part of the L. And we fell in love with these amazing, sofa, wonderful sofas. Love them still. In the flat, they looked normal, small even. In the real world, in London, they are huge. And we have two of them! One is a very very heavy sofa bed. I love the idea of sofa beds, I love having a sofa bed, but they are heavy! And totally impractical to move.

If I did it again I'd get one smaller leather sofa (2.5 seater rather than a 3-3.5 seater with chunky arms). And fill out the living room with a couple of smaller, lighter, easy to move arm chairs. If the next living room is too small, you get rid of a chair, or move it to another room if it fits. I do love my sofas, but right now they're in storage. Flat is too small for them. Seriously, each is over 6 feet long. Stupid decision.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1973 Army Green Chevy Vega

73chev32624-1.jpg

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I regret buying the house we had in our former town. Not the house itself, which was the most wonderful house ever. I was grateful every day that I lived there. The problem was that we ended up moving after 15 months, and it took us 10 months to sell it. We took a big financial hit. Had we know that we'd be leaving that town so soon, we would have continued to rent.

I also have a Cartier Trinity in white gold that I rarely wear. I don't wear white metals all that much, and the Trinity doesn't look great with the shape of my fingers. Sometimes I think I should sell it, sometimes I think I'll give it to my sister. In the meantime, it sits in my jewelry box unworn. I'm not sure I regret the purchase, exactly. I love the Trinity design, and I would need to have one to know that it just doesn't work for me. Now that I have it, though, I don't want it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LGK|1315899073|3016343 said:
Gypsy, that actually made me feel a lot better. I am glad to hear your two skitty-kitties warmed up. I have wondered if Dex ever will- poor thing, he does *want* love so bad! He has gotten a little better already- less fearful of DH- but the prickliness makes *him* unhappy, a lot like your Lucy sounds. He did stop drawing blood on me at least- I was all over scratches for about a month after we got him, but finally he learned that me yelling OW meant, please withdraw your pointy bits from my flesh! He still bleeds DH though- I get the "early warning system" of licking, but he goes straight to fangs on DH.

And yeah, this was the first time I mentioned some of the issues we've had with Dex- I kept hoping that all would magically be well overnight :rolleyes:) At least Bug has been a huge blessing- he's super cuddly, loves DH and adores his Dex, and Dex, I'm pretty sure, thinks he gave birth to Bug himself, he spends so much time licking and snuggling him. It is scary getting a new cat- you really can't predict how they'll all inter-relate, and it's sheer luck sometimes when it works out (or doesn't). They just don't like change much, do they? I hope Merlin stops with the bullying, that's got to be frustrating for all.

I did recently discover Dex actually goes totally limp if I pick him up and start walking around toting him. It's funny- he leaps out of your arms instantly if you stand still, but if you start lugging him around (he's gotten HUGE, his back legs drape down almost to my knees!) he'll just droop peacefully and sniff stuff. We do that a lot these days, since it's one of the only ways he can chill and get attention.

I'm so glad that Lucy's story helped.

I have an idea for you. While you are carrying Dex have your DH approach him and give him a pet on the head then walk away. Just so Dex gets used to DH... but DH leaving quickly will help get him used to the thought that DH isn't a threat. You can progress to DH offering him treats while you hold him.

Might work. Worth a shot.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Thought long and hard about this. My biggest regret is my JKT ring. I never wear it, it cost a fortune for silver, and i'm going to have daniel m take it apart so i can use the round tsavs for another project.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
erinl|1315866149|3016059 said:
jstarfireb|1315708088|3014778 said:
I sort-of regret buying hundreds of Beanie Babies when they were "in," but in a way I don't. There was a "thrill of the chase" aspect to finding the right ones, and it was a bonding experience with my mom. But now they're just sitting in bags in a closet. I should donate them to a children's hospital or something.

We have a bunch of beanie babies that our mom bought-- I called about donating them to a children's hospital and they will take all clean stuffed animals EXCEPT beanie babies !

Before becoming a SAHM, I worked in a Children's Psych Hospital for 7 years. We LOVED donations but I swear, in the 7 years I worked there we must have gotten THOUSANDS of Beenie Babies donated. I almost mentioned this when they were 1st brought up in this thread but didn't want to sound harsh. Heck, we couldn't give them away. We tried and tried and tried. The kids nowadays just aren't into them :(sad

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a crappy 1995 540i BMW... :knockout:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My current subscription to match dot com. In the past month I've been out with a midget (5'4" my a$$--I'm 5' tall and when we stood up I could see the top of his head!), a guy with one eye, a guy who declared his undying love to me two hours (and two bottles of wine... ) into our first (only!) date, a guy who "forgot" that his 13 year old daughter lived with him full time, a guy who showed up at an outdoor cafe with his pug in a baby stroller, and a guy that I will forever think of as Norman Bates II.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reading about just how many regrets there are re: leather sofas, I feel like I should start a separate thread getting advice on how/where to find a good one! I had no idea it was so complicated .... :-o

I would read that thread, but it wouldn't be very helpful to my current situation. We have the store furniture guy coming to do another home visit of our couch next week. I think the problem is that the cushions are not the detachable kind--seems like that style is very hard to find here nowadays. :nono: So the foam breaks down quickly and the leather stretches out so that even with no one sitting on the couch, there is a leather "muffin top" hanging over the edge of the couch. I don't want anyone to see this horrible ugly thing!

I am going to push for a complete return, but have already looked online for what the store has in inventory, and I think there are only 2 couches with loose seat cushions. Really stupid thing is they cost a few hundred LESS that the ones we bought too. I don't know. We really couldn't use a massive store credit there either, so I hope something works out. Deep, deep regret on this purchase! (And why do they always say "We've never had complaints about THAT line before, it's so GOOD!") :knockout:

PS: Stephen King did write a short story about laundry equipment. It's called The Mangler. You know, those ironing machines that several ladies on PS have. We had one growing up too and I was scared of it after reading the story of the killer mangle.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought of another one: I regret registering for all sorts of china, flatware, crystal, and kitchen gadgets for our wedding. We've been married almost 3 years and have never used any of it even once. I wish we had returned it all instead. We just don't use that sort of stuff. We're happy with our plain old durable Corelle dishes, and we don't entertain all that much. Ah well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1316046933|3017854 said:
My current subscription to match dot com. In the past month I've been out with a midget (5'4" my a$$--I'm 5' tall and when we stood up I could see the top of his head!), a guy with one eye, a guy who declared his undying love to me two hours (and two bottles of wine... ) into our first (only!) date, a guy who "forgot" that his 13 year old daughter lived with him full time, a guy who showed up at an outdoor cafe with his pug in a baby stroller, and a guy that I will forever think of as Norman Bates II.

That's my new job. I'm going to start a company that screens these people.

My new website ... "checkthatmatch.com" You meet a guy on match.com and want to meet in person? You give me money and I'll research his arse for you. Give you a full report on him... how much you pay depends on the level of information you want and how fast you want it.

I'm make millions. Want to go into business together DJ?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1316238307|3019336 said:
I thought of another one: I regret registering for all sorts of china, flatware, crystal, and kitchen gadgets for our wedding. We've been married almost 3 years and have never used any of it even once. I wish we had returned it all instead. We just don't use that sort of stuff. We're happy with our plain old durable Corelle dishes, and we don't entertain all that much. Ah well.

Throw out the Corelle (unless you have young kids).

We eat on our Wedgwood everyday. It's super strong... no chips, cracks or breaks in 5 years. Except when I stepped on one plate.

I didn't register for silver on purpose. Too expensive and too much work. So I use our good flatware because it's all I own. Same with Crystal. I don't have glassware. I only own the crystal.

It's my stuff. I don't need guests to enjoy it. I deserve to enjoy it myself.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
lyra|1316046936|3017855 said:

I would read that thread, but it wouldn't be very helpful to my current situation. We have the store furniture guy coming to do another home visit of our couch next week. I think the problem is that the cushions are not the detachable kind--seems like that style is very hard to find here nowadays. :nono: So the foam breaks down quickly and the leather stretches out so that even with no one sitting on the couch, there is a leather "muffin top" hanging over the edge of the couch. I don't want anyone to see this horrible ugly thing!

I am going to push for a complete return, but have already looked online for what the store has in inventory, and I think there are only 2 couches with loose seat cushions. Really stupid thing is they cost a few hundred LESS that the ones we bought too. I don't know. We really couldn't use a massive store credit there either, so I hope something works out. Deep, deep regret on this purchase! (And why do they always say "We've never had complaints about THAT line before, it's so GOOD!") :knockout:

PS: Stephen King did write a short story about laundry equipment. It's called The Mangler. You know, those ironing machines that several ladies on PS have. We had one growing up too and I was scared of it after reading the story of the killer mangle.

Be firm. Tell them that you aren't confident in their furniture quality after this experience and aren't impressed with their claims that they've NEVER had a problem... you don't feel that's sincere and you don't want store credit at a store you don't have faith in.

I'd take 80%-85% of what I paid in cash. And move on lesson learned.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

Just start using it!! My sister has been married for 15 years and in the last few months unwrapped her (never used) good silver and they (3 kids included) use it on a daily basis now. I make a point of using my Wedgwood pieces and my Royal Dalton crystal because, well, I can! I don't wait till we have people over and it makes an ordinary dinner at home seem a little more special. ::)

Please don't regret your beautiful wedding pieces.... enjoy them because you have them and they are there to be used. :))

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh my. That's quite a list!

I had one creepy date with a guy on that site. He barely talked to me, and when he called me a few days later to apologize, he went on to tell me a whole bunch of creepy details that involved the police and a misunderstanding between him and a former girlfriend. I couldn't get off the phone fast enough. :knockout: I almost just about to cancel my subscription and then I met my husband.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
hawaiianorangetree|1316253118|3019400 said:

Just start using it!! My sister has been married for 15 years and in the last few months unwrapped her (never used) good silver and they (3 kids included) use it on a daily basis now. I make a point of using my Wedgwood pieces and my Royal Dalton crystal because, well, I can! I don't wait till we have people over and it makes an ordinary dinner at home seem a little more special. ::)

Please don't regret your beautiful wedding pieces.... enjoy them because you have them and they are there to be used. :))
For real! The good stuff is meant to be used and enjoyed. I work with antiques, and thus a lot of my stemware and kitchenware is antique. Wine tastes better out of the good stuff, trust me :rodent: I have a zillion lovely antique stems, and I love drinking my cheapo wine out of beautiful American Brilliant Period stems. Just doooo iiiiiit. You know you wanna! Start with breaking out a few pieces and work up from there.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

As usual, halir DJ! nice to see you.....

The ridulous amount of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ spent on a worthless "landscaper"--whose scandal of a deck/staircase, etc, makes me wish for an outbreak of (insectiside resistent) bedbugs in his general direction. ugh

cheers--Sharon

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
All the jewels and watches I was gifted: it makes me sad having plenty things I don't wear because I don't like them...the ironic side is that even though I said I didn't like before the purchase, the gifters bought that stuff none the less...my mom, my husband ... they make me feel ungrateful, but I was with them at the jeweller's shop and I clearly said I didn't like...what do I have to do????? Am I not that clear when I say:" I don't like it and I'm not going to wear it!"???

PositivelyPeanut

Shiny_Rock
I don't regret many purchases as I tend to research things to death before buying. Any purchases I may regret are those that I didn't research. I'm not a very comfortable impulse buyer, especially on larger $$$ purchases. I've been semi-regretting one purchase lately. An older London Blue topaz ring. It's quite beautiful and the cut of the stones is amazing (such incredible sparkle), not to mention the platinum setting and super clear diamonds. But I think I overpaid. Well, if not overpaid, then at least didn't get a great deal. I was out of my element when I bought it and regret being so hasty. It's also not an everyday ring, so I think of how many everyday rings/earrings/etc I could've bought with that money instead. Anyway, it's all okay. I'm just not used to questioning my purchases after the fact -- normally I feel very secure and sure in my buying decisions. C'est la vie. It's not the end of the world. I'll probably feel better about it with the holidays coming up and more occasions to wear it. :)

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry, DJ, but your post made me LOL!!!! You're too funny!!!! I also had a membership to match.com back in the day. Didn't get me anywhere, in fact I met quite a few losers :o

Back to the topic at hand, I guess my biggest regret would be purchasing our condo in 2005. We bought at the highest peak of the market, and then took a huge loss when we sold it last year. It was a bummer, but thankfully we were able to save up $$$ again and buy a house we love (and in a great market, mind you). I just wish it wasn't such a costly mistake. But who knew? I've dwelled on it enough, can't dwell on it forever!!! We did have a lot of great times there, especially as a newly married couple... it was a great area to live in. Oh well, you live and you learn!!!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
June, another post that made me LOL!!! I think we must have the same washing machine!! We just moved into our new house 2 months ago, and I love everything about it, except THAT DAMM MACHINE!!!! My mom made a comment that she's "never heard anything like that before in her life." :o Its so loud, it sounds like an helicopter is taking off in my basement when it runs!!! Oh, how I hate it and can't wait to get a new one!!! I already had a repairman out to look at it, he told me that under *no* circumstances should we put any money into it..."When it goes, just get a brand new one!!!" (Is your machine an old Maytag front loader? Just curious!!) :errrr:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
LGK|1315899073|3016343 said:
Gypsy|1315888331|3016293 said:
LGK|1315863357|3016020 said:
Another "purchase" I'm trying realllly hard not to regret, but am a little :(sad is adopting the adult cat we got after Rat died. Dex is a beautiful guy, and he likes being close to me, but he pees everywhere and hates DH, and he's sort of... feral. Poor boy. Obviously we're keeping him- prickly or not, I love the boy and he's my kitty- but he doesn't really like to be touched, which sucks. Mostly because he desperately *wants* to be petted, but when you try he rolls up into a miserable, defensive ball and bites and scratches. I taught him to scale it down to licking and batting with no claws, but it's still very difficult for him- he'll lean on me and beg to be petted and then flop over and instantly grab me, lick, and kick defensively. I don't know, I'm glad to give him a home when he would've never been adopted I'm sure, but after having two boys who were very affectionate, it's tough to adjust to poor prickly Dex. He's been happier now that we got him a buddy, kitten Bug, but he's still very skittish around DH and I'm pretty sure he's convinced DH is going to take his remaining eye. And it is tough for DH because he adores cats and knows Dex is afraid of him. Plus the peeing sucks. He peed on a silk skirt a week ago, and my favorite dress the week before that. Mostly if I keep the bedroom door closed it stops the peeing, but he is sneaky and gets in there anyway and voila, pee. :???:

Hi LGK... I didn't know you feel this way about Dex. He sounds like a cross between my Frodo and my Lucy. Both of them took YEARS to warm up... but they have steadily improved with time and patience. Frodo used to spend all his time under the bed. And when he'd come out he'd come up for pets.... but stay just out of reach meowing. Lucy would bite and scratch defensively, but would want pets and love... and then feel SO guilty she was bad when she struck out she'd go huddle in a little ball of self torturing misery. It's been 3 years and Lucy spends the night perched on one or the other of us. We move slowly and don't pet her unless she can see it but we can pet her. And she only bites very occasionally and doesn't break skin and still feels guilty but gets over it better AND... (this is big) I can pick her up and carry her around without swaddling her and getting bit and bloody. It's been a long road, but we love her in part because of how much progress she's made. Frodo cuddles everyday and comes out now even when we have (quiet) strangers over (he runs back if they make loud noises or scare him but he comes out!).

We kinda regret Merlin. He's very cuddly but... he bullies the other cats and disrupts the balance our others had struck. So there's been a lot of fighting and tension since we got him 10 months ago. It's getting better. But he still uses Duncan as his own personal body pillow (and Duncan and is older and achy and doesn't need 15 pounds of Merlin on him), still chases Frodo till he hisses (in the 6 years we've had him he had hissed ONE TIME before Merlin). But... it's getting better. I'm hopeful that as time goes on he'll integrate better. But for now... the cats are insecure (especially Duncan who is afraid he's been replaced) and tense and we are regretful. It'll work out though.

I know your situation will too!

LGK - sorry your kitty is such as he is :( My 17 year old cat who passed away about 1.5 years ago was the same. She wanted love and attention, but after we'd pet her a few times, she'd start bitting. She was even a bit more psycho as she would want to sit on my lap and I'd be STUCK there once she did because she'd curl up and be warm and nice UNTIL I tried to get up and she'd go nuts and growl and bite me. She never did adjust to having other cats in the house, but we learned to make sure she got lots of attention even if it meant only a quick pet on the head or while she was napping. Maybe that is all some cats need?

The peeing is a tricky one...wish I could advise you there. Good luck.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

lol! ;-)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
lulu|1315752985|3015013 said:
A 1980 Chevy Citation. Enough said.

This was the first car I remember growing up with as a kid. My dad drove it so long that it started falling apart. I remember the inside of the car having this weird smell as the car would overheat all the time and my poor dad had to keep on refilling something (coolant?) under the hood. God rest his soul.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

LOL!! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results