shape
carat
color
clarity

Lost Certification

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Willis

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

My Fiancee has a diamond that whe would like to incorporate into her wedding band. Unfortunetly, when she went to look for the certs. for the ring she couldn''t find the papers.
My question is, is it possible to get a diamond recertified without its original papers, and what is required if it is indeed possible?
Thank you for your time.

Willis

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Willis,

Most labs can issue a duplicate report for a reasonable price if you know the issuing lab and the report number. This number may be in your appraisal or the selling jeweler might be able to provide you with it.

It is possible to get the stone regraded by one of the various labs. Most will only work with jewelers but the jeweler who is making the ring should be able to send it in for grading. Depending on the lab chosen, this can take quite a bit of time. Why do you want the report?

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Willis

Rough_Rock
Neil,

The main reason we would like to get the diamond recertified is that she is torn between using the diamond for the ring or selling it. We were under the impression that to sell the diamond a cert. would be needed. The bottom line is that she received the diamond several years ago through a prior engagement that ended extremely poorly, and for obvious reasons cannot find out the original place of purchase.
Thanks again.

Willis

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Willis,

That''s a fine reason although it''s different from what you said in your original post. A lab report will almost certainly prove to be useful. I recommend contact GIA at www.gia.edu if you can''t come up with the necessary informaiton to reproduce the original report without having the stone reexamined.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results