shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do retail store diamonds look to shiny!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mclapham

Rough_Rock
I took a look at very well cut diamonds (both jewellers are highly trusted) - one at a retail store, and one at the dimly lit office of a wholeseller.

The retail store diamond just appeared SO MUCH more sparkly!! (It was an E color, compared to H at the wholeseller, but IMO, that shouldn't have impacted the brilliance). Is there anything in their lighting which would lend the stone much more shine?

Just to clarify - I don't mean the showcase, i've looked at stones in their store, and it appeared SO much brighter. I don't know if just maybe the cut is MUCH better.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Yep. Retail jewelers spend a lot of money on lighting right on top of the display cases to make their diamonds shine bright and sparkly. In this environment, you could put a piece of frozen spit in the display case and it would sparkle. IMO, before you buy a diamond, you need to see it in all lighting environments!

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
IT is totally in the lighting~!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
I think it also might have to do with the fact that they jewlery in the showcases are often freshly cleaned. For instance, i can go under those lights with my ring on, and one little fingerprint on my diamond makes it look dirty when the rocks in the showcase are always spotless.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
When I visited a office to view diamonds - the office was dimly lit - and the light sources were just overhead flourencent lighting as well as a lamp on the table.

There was some natural light coming through a window.

Diamonds in that light look very different than in say, a bailey banks & biddle. But -- a well cut diamond does look different.

I agree with most posters that the lighting in stores is set up appropriately to show off their product. But unless you have a personal wrist halogen spotlight to highlight your ring - you should try to see it in different light conditions...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results