shape
carat
color
clarity

Sanity Check???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iceforme

Rough_Rock
While looking at international Diamond center today I came across this:

6.57x6.65x3.98
1.03 ct
60.2% depth
57% table
girdle very thin to thin, faceted
cutlet: none
polish: very good
symmetry: very good
SI1
color: D
Fluorescance: Medium Blue
GIA Cert.

price: $6500

The things that bother me are I don''t know what the pav angle or the crown angle are to plug into the HCA. The jewelers don''t have an Idea scope or anything like that. Just a normal loupe and microscope.
How can I tell if this is a good deal or not?

Thanks,

Iceforme

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2004 2:28:29 PM
Author:iceforme

How can I tell if this is a good deal or not?
Well, it would be nice to see the clarity plot. And then, if the seller cannot provide the level of detail you desire, there is always the option to ask an appraiser for these things during the retutn policy.

One Ideal Scope used to cost about $30 - if you would consider using it yourself. The silly pink toy is more precise than whatever numbers can predict (better than Sarin + HCA).
1.gif

The only potential inconvenience with all this, IMO, is... what happens if you do not like the diamond after all ? Assuming return policy, it''s a refund and starting the hunt again
7.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
(ctd).

Not that there isn't where to look. Non ideals D/SI with the rest of info available matching (no fluorescence, mostly) are listed with prices between $4500 and $6500. There there are a few hundred of such stones... with GIA certs.

All in a Pricescope search.

And then, there are 25 or so listings of AGS0 cut D/SI1 priced between $6000 and $7000. About these there will at least be numbers available from the AGS reports.

For example, This... looking for a promissing set of proportions and clarity plot. There are others. And you can use the search by "HCA Cut Quality" for diamonds that already have the stats in.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results