shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a diamond from a friend ......

fmzip

Rough_Rock
There is just something about the business name the draws me completely away from GOG......

I am sure they are a phenomenal company to deal with but if someone where to ask "Where did you get your engagement ring", I would be completely reluctant to answer.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
It sure sounds better than "my divorced friend sold it to me"

:naughty:

fmzip

Rough_Rock
nfowife|1309289699|2957214 said:
It sure sounds better than "my divorced friend sold it to me"

:naughty:

Wise guy!
In that scenario the reply would be "it was custom cut stone specifically for her,by Brian Gavin Diamonds" :bigsmile:

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
fmzip|1309288201|2957187 said:
There is just something about the business name the draws me completely away from GOG......

I am sure they are a phenomenal company to deal with but if someone where to ask "Where did you get your engagement ring", I would be completely reluctant to answer.

well, I have been married 10 years and no one has asked me where I got my engagement ring so I wouldn't let that be a determining factor. GOG is one of the best vendors we know of here. Jonathan, who posts here under Rhino, is a true gentlemen with integrity and provides wonderful customer service. I have not had the opportunity to visit his store but from the reviews here, he and his staff are A+ all the way around. If someone does ask and you don't want to say GOG you can always say a small boutique store in Massapequa Park, NY which sounds very posh ;))

fmzip

Rough_Rock
mrssalvo|1309306228|2957442 said:
fmzip|1309288201|2957187 said:

If someone does ask and you don't want to say GOG you can always say a small boutique store in Massapequa Park, NY which sounds very posh ;))

I like that!

I'm in Connecticut...maybe I should take a drive there....

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are in driving distance then I would definitely suggest making that trip. There really isn't a better place to learn about and view many types of diamonds! Just make sure you have an appointment ahead of time b/c I've heard it can get busy in their store.

fmzip

Rough_Rock
Maybe I can arrange before to have several diamond available to look at and have her pick one out that she likes??

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fmzip|1309352745|2957866 said:
Maybe I can arrange before to have several diamond available to look at and have her pick one out that she likes??

I bet she would love this! Jonathan will not let you leave anything less than 1000% satisfied.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrssalvo|1309309290|2957507 said:
If you are in driving distance then I would definitely suggest making that trip. There really isn't a better place to learn about and view many types of diamonds! Just make sure you have an appointment ahead of time b/c I've heard it can get busy in their store.

Ditto! And I have total respect for and trust in Jonathan Weingarten. He has a passion for well cut diamonds that is contagious, and he has the highest integrity. Plus he has shown immeasurable patience toward me, which should win him some kind of award! :lol:

If asked where the ring came from, you can also say Jonathan Weingarten from Long Island. And incidentally, no one outside of this forum has ever asked me where my diamond(s) came from.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
It would be rude. People tend to say how beautiful your ring is, even if it isn't. If there is a real fire to their eyes then you know it is more genuine. They would typically wait for you to drop the ball on where you got it from. if you don't mention, they typically don't either. Unless they compliment the setting to death, in which case you can still be mysterious.

alternatively, GOG can ship me the diamond, and I can register a company of any name of your choice, and sell you the ring for a 5% markup :Up_to_something:

Just kidding.

fmzip

Rough_Rock
^^^ You must be in sales like me.

:)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
fmzip-I think it's going to be a stunning ring :) please post pictures when you get it!

fmzip

Rough_Rock
So should I ask for the stone before it is set to get it appraised? What is the protocol?

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
it's going to be gorgous! Can't wait for pics!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
It'll be stunning, you won't regret it, good choice! ;))

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
fmzip|1311039782|2971843 said:
So should I ask for the stone before it is set to get it appraised? What is the protocol?

I may be wrong here, but since the stone is certified by AGS I wouldn't bother getting it appraised separately before setting. That's just me, though! I feel that any GG should trust AGS's stringent standards and accept that the stone was graded accurately.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
One other nice thing about a really well cut stone (like the one you eventually chose) is that they tend to look good even when filthy dirty, far more than a lesser cut. I've owned both- one transitional cut antique stone in particular looked absolutely *dead* when it got dirty. No fire or sparkle whatsoever- I had to keep it spotlessly clean for it to look nice and lively. The August Vintage Cushion I have from GOG (it's an antique cushion cut with ideal optics) looks sparkly and pretty even when it is really incredibly dirty. That, IMO, is the biggest day-to-day difference I've seen when living with both types of cuts (a decent but definitely not remotely ideal cut vs. an ideal cut). The ideal cuts do look particularly amazing when kept properly clean, obviously, but if she's like most women, it'll get some grime on it sometimes and even then it'll still look nice.

I think you picked a great setting & stone and she'll be thrilled!

fmzip

Rough_Rock
Clairitek|1311043650|2971892 said:

I may be wrong here, but since the stone is certified by AGS I wouldn't bother getting it appraised separately before setting. That's just me, though! I feel that any GG should trust AGS's stringent standards and accept that the stone was graded accurately.

What is a "GG" ?

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
fmzip|1311087372|2972214 said:
Clairitek|1311043650|2971892 said:

What is a "GG" ?

Graduate Gemologist

fmzip

Rough_Rock

fmzip

Rough_Rock
Got it and she loves it!

BrianGavin_Novela4_081711.jpg BrianGavin_Novela3_081711.jpg BrianGavin_Novela2_081711.jpg BrianGavin_Novela1_081711.jpg _D7K5248.jpg

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: :love: :love: Beautiful.... :appl: Congratulations!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it looks great! congratulations :)

mrb09

Rough_Rock
Wow-gorgeous! Great look, timeless and really beautiful. Congrats!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stunning!! You should def start a thread of the ring in SMTR section

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really beautiful! I love that setting!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning, blingy, classy, and elegant! What's not to love?! :love:

Well done!