shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a blue square

T

talamasca

My fiance has decided he would like a coloured gemstone in his wedding band and we've been looking for a 5mm deep blue square stone either a sapphire or spinel, but haven't come up with anything yet. The budget isn't massive - we could possibly go up to £300 max for the right one.

I've contacted a couple of gem cutters, but it's been a bit hard finding the right colour, i.e. not too light or dark (as its going to be bezel set) and without purple in it, along with it being the right shape and size!

Attached is a pic I found on here of one of Barry's stones (I think it's a sapphire) that is the colour we are looking for so if anyone spots anything, please post, thanks :D

BB Sapphire Ring.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you did not specify if you wanted unheated only or whether heated could be OK... Have you ever thought of buying a larger, perhaps heat-only, sapphire, and recutting it? Ebay sites are full of nice sapphires and 5 mm. is a small size so you may have a better choice of color. Jerry did a great job recutting my sapphire, and he is very economic with the material.

Spinel is more tricky since it is such a color-changer! And a setting like the one you posted will darken it, no doubt.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230420247025&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This one may be too small for a good recut but I love this stone. It will probably be too dark for your setting, but he has lighter ones, and unheated stones are much cheaper. Just a thought.

This one looks too beatiful to recut but the color could look great in your ring...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-53ct-Excellent-Cushion-Cut-Cornflower-Blue-Sapphire-/250854495712?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item3a6817d5e0

T

talamasca

Oooo, what a great idea! Would it be best to liaise with Jerry before buying to make sure it will be big enough, etc?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto, when it comes to recuts, it is best to contact the lapidary in question to get his input as to which stone might be a good candidate. You'll want to pick a stone that won't show zoning or lighten too much after a recut, plus it has to be relatively internally clean.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When buying a stone to recut, look for a deeper stone. The shallow stones with large window are not good for recutting as there is too much face up diameter lost getting enough depth out of the stone.

T

talamasca

Thanks. I've contacted Jerry and he might have something so will wait and see :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results