shape
carat
color
clarity

The Official TTC Thread!

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Re: The Official TTC Thread!

jas, I am happy that you have the green light to start trying again! I have heard many people get PG very soon after a M/C, so hopefully you will be one of those lucky ladies too!

MP, thanks! How are you doing? Are you going to change anything up this cycle before you see the doctor?

Lizzy, I am so glad that your visit with your RE went well and that you feel much better. I am crossing my fingers that the Clomid/HSG trigger/IUI does the trick for you this next cycle! My OB had also thought I might have PCOS due to my irregular periods, but it has been ruled out so far with the bloodwork and ultrasounds. Sometimes I think that OBs tend to jump to the PCOS explanation fairly quickly. At least, I feel like my OB did, since I was always exactly a 28-day cycle pretty much the entire time before I started taking the Jolivette BCP. I guess she chose not to hear that part. :???:

ChinaCat, so sorry that the OPKs are frustrating you. I have heard that they simply do not work for some people. I used the cheapy Wondfo ones from Amazon (I got a package of 40 OPKs and 10 HPTs for less than 10 bucks), and was so excited to finally see that fade-in, even though it went from super faint to almost positive really fast. DH was surprised at how giddy I was when I finally saw the positive - he even asked me why I kept staring at it when we had already decided to BD that night. Seriously, the day before my almost positive, I told DH that maybe my LH levels never get high enough for the tests to pick up, or that I can still O with very low LH levels or something. I got my actual positive when I tested around 6-7pm on the same day as my morning almost positive. Your idea of sticking with the same brand next time around is a good one!

Missy, like others have said, a 10 day LP is nothing to worry about. My LP was 10 days last cycle, but I also Oed later than I usually do on CD25. Just keep monitoring it if your cycles continue to get shorter, so you have all the information. Have fun in Myrtle Beach!

MQ, thanks for stopping by! I also saw your happy pic in the JBP thread. Glad you got to see your little bean!

LC, thanks!

PPM, thanks! I am a little proud of my classic looking chart. :razz: My temps have gone up to 98.1 today and yesterday, so hopefully they will keep going. DH notices that I feel hotter than normal each night, and says I am like 1000 degrees (anybody watch How I Met Your Mother?). Your story about POAS is totally something I have done in the past. Before TTCing, I would randomly POAS without any good reason for believing I should. I am not sane! :rolleyes:

AFM, FF is still strong on keeping me at 6DPO so I am trying hard to wait until at least Sunday to test. Have I mentioned that I have absolutely no patience?

lili

Ideal_Rock

Lizzy--
That's great you and your RE have a plan in place.
Fingers and toes crossed for you that this medicated IUI cycle is all you need though.

Regarding your questions.
I do the insemination 24 hrs after the HCG trigger.
Recommendation is to BD 2 days prior to the insemination (1 day prior to the trigger.)
The thinking is that they want a good sample deposit for the insemination, so abstaining for 2 days is in order.
Also, BD a day or 2 after the insemination too.

Are you an early ovulator? Just asking cuz typically they have us take clomid day 5-9 if you ovulate later, but do day 3-7 if you ovulate CD12 or earlier. Also, clomid is notorious for delaying O by 2-3 days, so don't be surprised if you O later.
Good luck.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock

lizzy -- wow! I didn't know. You must be on your toes with a 2 year old then! They told me to BD the night I had the trigger and then left it up to us if we wanted to do it the next. My DH's sperm count was good, so there wasn't a need to do every other night at that point. We probably BD'd like 4 times after the trigger! And I don't know if you are charting your temps, but I remember that mine didn't spike until well after my shot. Like 48 hours or something like that. I wanted to call the RE so bad to tell them that the shot didn't work, but I held off the crazy, and it was fine. So if that happens, don't panic. The nurse told me that the shots ALWAYS make you ovulate. Before the shot, I had 2 follicles I believe. One bigger than the other. 18mm for the big one comes to mind, but I might be wrong. And I only used one cycle of Femara. The whole hangup was that I wasn't ovulating, so no concerns at that point over lining issues. I think I tried 2 cycles of Clomid and never O'd, which is why he gave me Femara. Are they definitely doing an IUI this time?

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock

Lizzy, my policy covers nada – no blood testing, ultrasounds, SA, medication, nothing. I can see why an insurer would decline to provide coverage for procedures like IVF, etc., but I think you should at least be able to get a fertility diagnosis. I wish I lived in one of the states that mandates such coverage. I’m definitely going to mention the lack of insurance coverage thing to my doctor and hopefully she’ll help me out as much as possible. Blood tests and clomid wouldn’t be such a big problem, but if I need ultrasounds or other procedures, that would add up quickly. We’re willing to pay what we have to pay, but I need to make sure we do not do anything unnecessary.

A little off topic, but do you know why your doctor thinks you have mild PCOS? I ask because my sister was told the same thing apparently, and I’m wondering if it is genetic. I really don’t fit the profile for PCOS at all though because my cycles are short and pretty regular, I’m thin, and I don’t think I’m particularly “hairy.” I know not everyone has those symptoms though. Another thing my sister mentioned was that she had elevated prolactin levels, and I’m not sure if that is related to the PCOS. Given my short cycles, I think high prolactin is a definite contender based on my research. It would be really comforting to have some blood tests to rule these things out.

S&I, things are looking positive for you so far! Fingers crossed. As for me, I’m not planning on doing anything different this cycle. I’m either CD7 or 8, and I’ll probably start using OPKs tomorrow. We’ve just been BD’ing regularly as per usual. And seeing as we’ll be in Vegas and celebrating our anniversary, I’m fairly confident we just might get some BD’ing this weekend.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock

Hi ladies,

Sorry for being gone for a few days. I've been checking in, but haven't had time to post. I hope everyone's well.

MP, I'm so sorry to hear about your neck troubles! Yikes! I hope you're feeling better now. Glad you were able to share your TTC story with your sister. It must be wonderful to have her support & come out of the closet a bit. As for insurance, hopefully your doc can code your testing in a way that gets it through insurance. I did some research on Clomid w/o insurance & it's not that expensive, especially if you get it from Costco. Are you excited for Vegas?

S&I, fingers crossed for you this cycle! Hoping your temps stay up for a long time!

Missy, I hope your vacay is going well & that the situation with BIL's gf isn't too awkward. I've heard Myrtle Beach is beautiful. Take lots of pics & tell us all about it! Hopefully next cycle will be the one for you!

jas, glad to hear the bleeding has stopped & your inlaws are gone. Enjoy some quiet (& maybe not so quiet :naughty: ) time with your DH.

Steph, how exciting for September. That's right around the corner!

Lizzy, I'm so sorry for your BFN. I'm glad to hear you got more information from your RE as to why this cycle wasn't a BFP one. Also glad to hear you have a plan in place. Sending you a heartfelt hug.

China, good luck with your OPK's. I just got my Wondfo's in the mail today, so we'll be in the same boat.

Pilsn, how funny! The POAS urge is strong. I just got my OPK's in the mail & couldn't resist even though the timing wasn't right to see anything anyway. How exciting that you're officially trying now! Have fun!

HOT, fingers crossed for a happy end to your 2WW!

Just read Missy's post about the wide vs narrow Wondfo's. Mine are super narrow. Has anyone else had any bad experience with the little guys? I POAS today & it was negative, but didn't expect anything yet. I've got tons of them, so hope they work ok.

AFM, I had my first "I'm not PG yet, so what do I do now" appt with my OB today. I don't know why they asked me to take off my pants because it just consisted of a short chat & a bunch of referrals for upcoming tests. I'm supposed to go in for the progesterone test on August 16th, then the dye test after my next period. DH also has to go in for a SA. She also recommended I use OPK's. She didn't seem to put too much stock in temping & thought the OPK's give more accurate information. She also didn't recommend any lifestyle changes at this point. (While catching up on this thread, I realized I forgot to ask her about acupuncture, which irritated me). I was a little disappointed to not get any more info, but at least there's a plan to move forward.

I've been a little sad lately as these tests symbolize that it's not going to happen easily & I worry if it will happen at all. Also, I talked to a good friend this weekend who had gone through a lot of fertility stuff including 2 rounds of IVF, but now has 2 beautiful little girls. She was the first IRL person I talked to about this & was hoping to get some info & support, but she didn't seem to want to talk about it, which was disappointing. Also, my mom seems to be going crazy (crazier than usual) & has been talking about getting rid of my things (quote from her email) "children’s books and we have a ton of them in the attic that were yours that had kept thinking might be fun to read again to grandchildren but that doesn’t seem to be in the future so why are we hanging on to all this stuff." This is out of the blue (she doesn't know we're TTC-ing) & very hurtful.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I hope everyone is well. Hi to those I missed.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock

Ah Brightspot, I'm sorry to hear you've been having a hard time lately. I relate to a lot of what you said. I'm sorry that your mom and friend were a little insensitive. Just know that you have a lot of people here who are know what you are going through, so feel free to vent away. I know your appointment wasn't monumental, but you at least got the ball rolling. You're one step closer to getting pregnant. I'll be watching your posts carefully because our situations are somewhat similar. As far as the wondfos, I have had the thicker ones before, and I have the skinny ones now. I preferred the thicker ones, but I haven't noticed a problem with the skinnier ones and am able to get clear positives on them (as clear as the non-digital tests allow anyway).

drk

Brilliant_Rock

Brightspot - Wow, that was really hurtful of your Mom. I'd be tempted to just say to her "It's not always that easy to have a kid, so don't start giving me a hard time about not having grandchildren yet. Just give me all my old stuff so it's out of your way, because I'll be really upset if you just toss it."
I had the fun of watching my younger brother get pg with 3 kids while we were suffering through infertility and 2 miscarriages. And of watching my Mom lavish gifts on her grandchildren, make visiting them the huge priority (DH and I were so NOT on the radar), and giving away childhood stuff to my brother. This was all while she knew of our struggles, and knew that I'm a lot more sentimental about old things than my brother is. Can you tell that I'm still a bit bitter? :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

lizzy I'm glad you have a plan in place. I am left curious about why the trigger and IUI and all that is being used? I thought that was to treat infertility, not miscarriage? Is the thought that the IUI allows better sperm to get through? Just wondering what the reasoning is. It must be frustrating being a thoughful and smart woman in this situation because there probably are not good answers to a lot of what you want to know -- there are standard treatment it seems and they are used for all women having troubles. I wish for you that docs knew more. But in the end who cares why, we just want it to work, right? Fingers crossed!

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock

Brightspot - I hope they work for you! I don't know what was wrong with mine but with the wide ones I was able to get a positive, tested on the small ones at the same time and it was negative...they were never even close to positive! But then again these were a different "brand" of Wondfos...they were Wanfus and the seller said they were the same thing, but I'm not sure I believe that! I hope you have a better experience with them! I'm sorry about the situation with your mom :((

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock

Bright, hey there, friend, I'm sorry you're feeling down, but I want to encourage you to look at the tests in a positive light. It's a *good* thing your doctor is running them because you'll get some more answers and be able to form a plan on how to move forward. Plans are good, you have a formulated "attack" on the TTC journey. Sorry about the comments from your mom. If you're not ready to tell her you're TTC, then perhaps just suggest you keep the things since they're sentimental to you. Please don't feel you're alone in your TTC effort. Keep remembering you have a whole thread of friends here that know what you're going through. It might not be the same as having someone IRL but in a way it is.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock

Bright- It's okay to feel a little down. This is a hard and emotionally crazy thing you're undertaking. I get why you're bummed, I think we have this image of this perfect way our conception will follow (like we did with being proposed to, and getting married, etc). And as we know, things don't always go like in the movies. BUT the end result is what matters. I promise when you get your BFP (and you WILL), all of this will be worth it and will just seem like one of those things you had to go through. It's hard to let go of our expectations of things. But the good news is, having an easy and perfect conception experience means zilch when it comes to having a healthy pregnancy or baby. So try to focus on the outcome and not how you get there. Also, a lot of doctors tend to dismiss the acupuncture thing, at least in my experience. I would do it regardless. Like I said before, at the very least it relaxes you and decreases stress, which is a GREAT thing while you are TTC.

Which leads me to a general musing that has no real point. Was talking to a new friend last night. She is 41 and has a 5 week old, and two older boys (around 4 and 5). This last pregnancy was a total shock and not planned. They had a lot of trouble getting pregnant with their older boys (not sure if did IVF, but I know she had endometriosis and they went through a lot to get pregnant). Another friend with us last night- same story. She's not 41, but more like 35 or 36. Two daughters, 2 and 4. Had to do IVF with both. Thought they were done, surprise baby #3 due in November. Then we hear from Lulu- tried for a year, took a cycle off and got preggo. It just really makes you wonder about the mind/body connection. Obviously it's not so simple as just stop stressing or thinking about it and it will happen (as if that's even possible). But I do think that stress and how we process it does affect all of this. Sometimes we can let the TTC process consume us and we start losing sight of other important things in our lives- husbands, family, hobbies, work. I think it's important to try to live your life as best you can while TTC.

Ok so that's my PSA for the morning. ;)) Sorry for the rambling.

AFM- Took another OPK this morning and it was clearly lighter. So yesterday's seems to be the one. Feeling ambivalent about this cycle. On one hand, I think I'm finally ready to get preggo again. OTOH, I am scared of a repeat performance, not sure I want to rock our happy world right now, not sure if I want a boy or a girl, not sure if I want a Taurus baby, etc, etc. :cheeky: Yes I know how ridiculous that sounds! What I mean by all of that is that two months ago I was NOT ready to be pregnant and now I am. The rest of it just means I am okay with trying for a few months without getting super focused on it. If I was younger, I would wait a few months so I could avoid another summer baby. It's mega hot here starting around June. But we can't control life, so here we go!!!

Oh my. Can you tell I'm avoiding work right now? :devil:

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock

Jas, glad to hear you have stopped bleeding, hope you can throw your white pants party tomorrow!

Lizzy, I'm glad you and your RE have developed a plan to move forward and you aren't being pushed into IVF before you might be emotionally ready for it.

MP, that sucks about your insurance offering you no coverage for fertility testing/treatment. I hope your doctor can help you out as far as coding some testing. You are not a failure in any way because your journey to parenthood is taking a little longer, I have faith it will happen for you (and all the ladies here) at some point.

Missy, sorry AF reared her head, but at least she'll be gone before your vacation! I have the narrow Wondfos I think, but I don't have any issue with them. Sounds like you got a weird off brand batch though! I wouldn't worry about the length of your LP yet, as others have reassured you there are lots of PS babies who came about despite LP length.

PPM, yup, got them on Tuesday after posting 3 high temps (although they are putting them on CD 17 instead of 19/20 when I am convinced I O'ed based on OPKs). I manually moved them to CD19 because it was bothering me to see them on the "wrong" day. Your story about POAS cracked me up. When my OPKs came I opened one up and peed on it, despite the fact that I was still on BC and only a few days away from AF even if I had O'ed. Hope your DH is mentally prepared for the BD ahead!

S&I, hope you are not going too crazy waiting for Sunday! Thinking good thoughts for you!

BrightSpot, I'm so sorry your mother was so insensitive towards you. It's hard enough to have to deal with having trouble TTC without getting pressure from her, especially in that fashion. My own mother does a lot of pressuring me and my sister, always mentioning that it took her five years to get PG, so we shouldn't wait too long. I've told her we will probably TTC soon-ish, so she's eased up on me a little, but I am always worried in the back of my mind I might have similar problems. I'm glad you have a plan for testing in place, and I'll be hoping the results are helpful and give you a good plan moving forward.

China, I think sometimes about waiting to avoid a summer baby too. But I tell myself the good news is that if I get preggo in the fall I can disguise the "is she fat or preggo" phase more easily with winter clothes.

Hi to anyone I missed!!

AFM, nothing new. Trying to get back into a good workout routine because I have 10 or 15 lbs I'd like to drop before getting PG. I've done two days of good working out so far, my legs are absolutely burning today though!

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock

Lizzy - To answer your questions about IUI, I did in fact have 2 rounds to get my doesn't want to come out even though it's her due date daughter :cheeky:

What lead us to IUI was a slight morphology issue with my DH's men, as well now that I am getting poked all the time, I am thinking that my very posterior placed uterus wasn't helping the situation. In any event, we tired au natural for about 10 months without much luck, save one positive HPT that quickly disappeared the next day. It was beyond frustrating to go that long without getting pregnant when some other ladies got KU so easily, but such was my DH and my journey.

As far as the protocal my RE used, they usually want you to do 3 rounds of IUI before starting IVF. However, at that time, I was fighting my insurance to pay for it, so my RE agreed that we could move to IVF after 2 rounds of IUI, if it didn't work. We started light, with just Clomid at days 3-7, monitering at days 9 and 11 and triggering ovulation once I got some good follies. The first round, I got one decent sized follie (I think around 18mm) and one smaller one (approx 15mm ). We triggered anyway, did the IUI the next day, but nothing stuck. For the second IUI, we upped the meds so I could produce a couple more targets/follies so I did not only the Clomid on days 3-7, but also did one Follistm injection at day 7 and a second at day 9 or 10 (I can't remember right now). The Follistm seemed to do the trick, and I had three pretty viable follies (21mm, 19mm and 18mm). We triggered around day 11 and I had my IUI the next day. Apparently one of them worked, and I am now carrying a getting bigger by the day girl.

Although I know it can be expensive, I do recommend trying at least two rounds of IUI before moving to IVF. I think I only know/have heard of one person who has actually gotten KU on their first IUI, especially if they are only using Clomid. I would also make sure that you are monitered well. My RE had you come in at day 3 (to make sure no issues), and then at days 9, 11, etc. until you were ready to trigger. That way they were making sure the follies were not only viable, but also that there weren't too many (which can happen with Follistm). As far as the BD'ing before or after the procedure, they didn't want my DH and I to DTD for at least 48 prior to the IUI since they want the highest quantity/quality of sperm for the procedure, but they did encourage us to DTD on our own the night of the IUI and they day after.

As some ladies have mentioned, I am not sure if IUI would be most highly recommended procedure for your particular condition, but I think I get the reasoning behind it. Can I ask at which point you are miscarrying? If its almost immediately, then perhaps the IUI/producing more eggs is better, but if it's later in the process, maybe you are better off to go straight to IVF, where the eggs can mature, etc before being implanted.

Well, that was my experience. If I can provide any more info, or you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Either way, I wish you LOTS of luck my dear and hope that the IUI or IVF does the trick for you! :bigsmile:

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock

WARNING! Total me-centric, TMI pity party ahead:

Yesterday my spotting turned into full-force AF. This morning I woke up to the worst bleeding I have ever experienced. No other period from ages nine to 25 has been so severe. I bled through a max absorbency tampon in under an hour. Is Mother Nature is trying to get me back for avoiding menstruation for the 2+ years I had Mirena, or what?

If all of my future periods are like this I may lose my cool. Beyond the joys of starting a family with my husband, I'm pumped at the prospect of pregnancy simply because AF will take a leave of absence.

CD 2. CD 8-ish cannot arrive soon enough.

S&I

Brilliant_Rock

MP, I am so sorry that your insurance policy covers nothing! Hopefully your RE will be able to code things to give you the best benefits from your insurance, as well as only schedule the tests that you absolutely need. Vegas would be a fun place to conceive! :naughty: Do you know which hotel DH has booked for you?

BrightSpot, thanks! I think my Wondfos are also the super narrow ones, and I didn't have any problems with the OPKs. I posted a pic of them a few pages back. The only thing was that they were a little hard to write on them to document with CD the tests were taken though, since they were so tiny. I feel like lots of OBs just give you their typical infertility testing list of the general tests (CD3 bloodwork, ultrasound, HSG, and SA for your DH), without actually discussing your particular cycle in detail. My OB doesn't seem to know much about temping either, but I talk about it every time I see her. I actually just called to talk to one of the NPs, to ask if she thought I should come in for the 7DPO progesterone test, and she promptly interrupted me, saying that they usually do it on CD21. :nono: I hope you can find out what's going on with your cycles soon, and I am so sorry about what your mom said to you. I would just tell her that you want all your stuff if it's taking up so much space in her attic.

drk, hi! :wavey: I am still reading your TTC story (around page 240ish on this thread), and I am so sorry that your mom treated you and your DH that way!

Dreamer, have you posted your birth story yet? ;))

ChinaCat, I totally hear you on the not wanting a summer baby - I have always thought that too. With our 108 degree temps this week, I am miserable without even being PG!

Steph, thanks! I did have a moment of weakness last night, and am very embarassed to say that I POAS at 6DPO. :oops: I have been feeling a weird sensation around my right ovary for the last few days and I thought I felt a little nausas last night around 10PM, so I stupidly convinced myself that I had sufficient reason to try out one of my Wondfo HCG sticks. It was a very white BFN of course. I felt so silly afterwards, but now I am pretty sure that I should be able to wait until this weekend to test again.

dcgator, thanks for sharing your story, and congrats on your daughter!

PPM, so sorry that you are having such an evil AF! I have those every once in a while (hmm, maybe from my fibroids?), and they suck! Hope the next few days go by quickly for you!

AFM, just sitting here at 7DPO wishing and hoping that the weird sensation around my uterus/right ovary means something positive. I swear I have never felt anything like it (unless it's just gas), but I have a feeling that I am just super aware of any twinges I feel because I want so desperately to feel something. :rolleyes: I am a nutso!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock

Thank you so much for the outpouring of support & kind words! It means so much to me to have a wonderful group of friends to go through this process with.

MP, yes, it was good to get the ball rolling as far as testing & it does feel good to have a plan. I'll definitely keep you posted as things progress. Are you getting excited about Vegas? When do you leave? Have a wonderful time!

drk, I'm so sorry your mom was so insensitive to you while you were TTC. Even worse that she knew what you were going through! How sad that she gave your childhood things to your brother & didn't see you guys as often! <hugs> There's no risk of that particular thing happening to me (I'm an only child), but also nobody else to potentially give her a grandkid, so it's all on me. I'm not sure I want to start the conversation about us TTC-ing right now. Sadly, I often don't share very personal things with my mom as they tend to be used against me at a later date & I don't want the extra pressure from family now. I think I will say something similar to what you suggested regarding the stuff, though. Thanks for your advice & empathy. I'm so glad you finally have a little one of your own!

Missy, thanks for chiming in on the OPK's. I guess mine are the standard wondfo's (not an off brand). So far the control line has come up fine, just no positive yet (though I didn't really expect one quite yet anyway). Happy vacation--you're almost there, right?

LC, thanks for the support. That's true that a plan is always a good thing & it's better to focus on moving forward & getting more information. And having you wonderful ladies for support is really a lifesaver. Thank you.

China, that's a really interesting perspective & something I hadn't thought about. I often struggle with expectations, especially for monumental life changing events (I had some proposal stress as well). That's definitely true that the conception really has little to do with a healthy pregnancy or little one. I also tend to jump to worst case scenarios & need to remember that just because I haven't gotten PG in 6 months doesn't necessarily mean it won't happen. Also, that's a good point about the acupuncture. If it relieves stress, that's a good thing & worth pursuing.

Also, very valid point about how it sometimes happens when you're not trying. The good friend I spoke of earlier who now has 2 little girls went through 2 rounds of IVF to finally become PG with her first daughter. They were told by their RE that the shell of her eggs was too hard to be penetrated naturally by a sperm, so they thought it was impossible for them to become PG naturally. Well, lo & behold, they had a surprise pregnancy about 8 weeks after she delivered daughter #1. Happy new year to them! So, it's definitely worth trying to remember to take it easy & not let this process become all consuming.

I'm glad to hear you're ready to jump into the pool. I can see not wanting a summer baby. Being PG in the summer must be really uncomfortable. Actually, I'd rather not have one myself either & both DH & I are tauruses, so that time of year is extra busy (adding to it that our wedding anniversary is a day before DH's birthday. Now who had that great idea? Oh wait, it was me. :oops: ) But that might not be an issue considering how long this process is taking!

steph, I'm sorry your mom is pressuring you to get PG. It took my mom a long time to get PG with me too (several years, I think) & she was much younger (she had me at 28 & I'm already 36). Are these things hereditary? I'm glad to hear your mom has eased up on the pressure & hope things are fast & easy for you.

Pilsn, I'm sorry to hear about the nasty AF experience. I hope it eases up soon! Have you talked to your doc about it?

S&I, I can't imagine trying to write on these tiny strips! How do you do it? I definitely feel like my OB just signed me up for the standard batch of tests without paying too much attention to my situation. Also, I thought with an anovulatory cycle you could have either a lighter than usual period following it or a heavier than usual one. I suspect I had the former following a few anovulatory cycles, but she said the periods are usually heavier than usual, so I'm confused. Hopefully using the OPK's this month will help. She signed me up for all the tests you mentioned except the ultrasound, which she said they'd do if the other tests didn't find anything. She also said that a lot of people get PG after the HSG because it "clears everything out." I hadn't heard of that, but, hey, here's hoping! That's annoying about your NP. :rolleyes: Fingers crossed that your weird symptoms mean something good!

OK, gotta run help DH cook dinner. He's making flaming shrimp & grits--yum!

Hope everyone's having a good day & hi to anyone I missed!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock

S&I, regarding the maybe PCOS diagnosis, I think my RE was just throwing that out there. She ran every test on me and nothing came back with a red flag so I asked her if there was anything else that she thought might be a factor and she mentioned a mild case of PCOS. I have a very regular 28 day cycle as well but I do have some of the other symptoms - carry weight around my middle, acne prone skin, low blood sugar. Who knows really? She said that for patients with PCOS they usually try Clomid, so either way I'm on the right track hopefully. Hoping Sunday gets here soon and you get some great news lady!

Lili, thanks for popping in and letting me know your experience. I have O'd anywhere from day 13-day 18 in the past. I am going to ask about the timing of the IUI as well. 36 hours later seems late to me, but I'm no doctor!!

Lanie, yes we are definitely doing the IUI. My DH isn't thrilled about it as he doesn't understand why we should do that when we do get pregnant, but I just told him that we can still BD, but the IUI is going to help make sure that the sperm is there at the right place right time. Did you use OPK's when you used the trigger. I don't temp, but I'm wondering what would happen on an OPK. Do you get a positive surge when you use the trigger?

Monkey, sucks about your insurance but I do think that if you explain that your insurance covers nothing, they will figure out a way to code things differently for you. I will tell you that Clomid full price is only like $39 bucks for one cycle. I only pay $10 for Clomid with insurance, but my HCG trigger is not covered, so it is $70. But it has multiple doses in it so at least it won't be $70 every month. Regarding the PCOS. This is how it came up with my RE....we went over all of my test results, which had no red flags, so I asked her if she had any other idea of what could be wrong and she mentioned possibly a mild case of PCOS. I have very regular cycles though. I am not thin, around a size 12, but my BMI is below 30 which she said is just fine. I do however carry my weight around my middle which is a sign of PCOS. I also have acne prone skin and sometimes have low blood sugar. But the major symptom of PCOS is anovulatory, varying cycle lengths - and I have neither. So who knows? My prolactin was checked and it was fine and I don't remember that coming up as a symptom of PCOS. DId your sister ever get to the bottom of her issues?

Brightspot, sorry your having a rough go. It sounds though that your OB is on top of things and running all of the right tests. The HSG was not bad at all. I was awfully stressed about it and it was very easy. Regarding acupuncture, I would just call your OB's office and ask them to recommend one to you. My RE works with one locally and actually sends over my medical records for the acupuncturist to review. Serious business. You should definitely look into it. Sorry to hear that your friend and mom were not very supportive. Please know that we are all here for you and always available to bounce ideas off of and for support. Good luck lady.

Dreamer, yah my DH is baffled by the IUI. He can't figure out why we have to do that. But I just keep telling him that we are still going to BD, but it doesn't hurt to do the IUI so we can be sure to have his sperm in the right place at the right time. The goal with the Clomid/trigger/IUI is still really the same goal as just using Clomid - to release more eggs in the hopes that one will get fertilized and stick. So far she has found no reason as to why I'm miscarrying, so their main goal is to just get me pregnant. I'm hoping this works out.

Chinacat, glad to hear you got your positive OPK. I hear you on being ready for a second. But the way I look at it is that we will have 9 whole months to get ready!!!!

Steph, I am also trying to lose some weight this month. It can't hurt and it gives me something else to focus on, which is a good thing.

DC, thanks for posting. I hope your little lady makes an appearance soon! She will be worth the wait! I guarantee! Sounds like you had a long road of TTC. I'm glad things worked out for you. My losses occur when I am about 5-6 weeks pregnant. Basically I get a positive test and then my bloodwork doesn't double, so I know ahead of time that a m/c is on the horizon. I get that Clomid is going to up the amount of eggs released in the hopes that at least one will get fertilized and at least one will stick. Hopefully, upping my chances. I can also see the benefit of IVF, but I would like to try the IUI first. I agree that I should be willing to give it a couple of tries before throwing in the towel. Now, do you know if your DH's sperm is filtered for the IUI? I need to ask my RE that. I forgot. I wonder if they will be filtering them and only using the best? maybe not? I'm not sure how that works. My DH doesn't have a count or motility issue but I figured that could only help. DId you do your IUI 24 or 36 hours after your trigger? I am going to be going in for an ultrasound on day 11 and then every couple of days until my follies are large enough, then I will do the trigger. I also want to make sure that I don't have more than three follies too as that scares me!!! Thanks so much for your info! I hope your little one arrives soon!

PPM, sorry you are having such a hard flow. I hope they start to ease up for you. Be good to yourself and take it easy.

AFM, I scheduled my first acupuncture appt. They want to have me transfer my medical records over so that they can review my history. Very serious! I am looking forward to it. It will be nice to at least take a time out you know? They think my insurance may cover it so I will need to look into that. LC, if your listening...did your insurance cover yours?

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock

Lizzy, My insurance does NOT cover acupuncture. I didn't go to a very "official" one. It was a community acupuncture "clinic" which was basically a licensed acupuncturist, and I sat in a room with 5 or 6 other people napping in lounge chairs. It sounds weird, but it worked for me. I went to a more "clinical" acupuncture place with rooms etc the day before my wedding. I had a SERIOUSLY bad cold/allergies, was sneezing every 5 mins, and couldn't breathe out of my nose. I went to an acupuncturist at my parents house and told him, "I'm getting married tomorrow, can you clear up my sneezing and cold?" He did, but I got sick later during the honeymoon.

S&I

Brilliant_Rock

BrightSpot, I had to find a very fine point sharpie and write oh so carefully on the strips. :lol:

Lizzy, I am glad that you are doing the Clomin/HCG trigger this cycle, and really hoping it will work for you! You deserve a super sticky bean! ETA: Hope you enjoy your acupuncture - I have never tried it because I am just a chicken.

MP and Missy, hope you two are enjoying your vacations. Come back with pics!

AFM, my temp dropped from 98.1 yesterday to 97.9 this morning - still above my coverline. But I was a bit disappointed because I wanted it to go higher. So I temped again 8 minutes later, without moving, and it went back up to 98.1. :confused: I still charted the original 97.9, but maybe I should get a new thermometer for next cycle.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

amc80

Ideal_Rock

I've been MIA this week, but I've been following along. Good luck to all of those in their 2WW.

AFM (not to make myself sound like an idiot, but I JUST figured out what this meant....I always thought "wow, that AFM person gets a lot of attention! ha), busy at work. My counterpart just gave her notice, and I've only been here a few months and am still very much in the learning phase. So now I get to do her work AND mine work...while still being partially lost. The good news is we are hiring 4 new people, so it shouldn't be bad for too long. Plus my wedding planning is pretty much finished, so now I can actually do work at work :cheeky:

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock

lizzy -- I don't recall if I used OPK's after the trigger. I'm thinking I did not bc I knew it would show up, but maybe I did after my temps didn't go up? And I'm assuming you know that you can't use a preg test until the HCG is well out of your system. Some women take a HPT every day so they can see it fade out. I wasn't so diligent. I waited until I knew it would be absolutely out before testing so that I wouldn't get excited!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

Happy Weekend Ladies! It's Saturday morning here and I've been ordered by my daughter to go back to bed. She is making me breakfast, (this is the good stuff that happens when they get older :halo: ) so I'm going to do a quick catch up while I wait.

Steph ~ oh September isn't far away at all. Good idea on the buffer thing, I hadn't thought of that (more later)

Missy~ you should be on your vacay now.. Hope you are having fun!

S&I ~ ha ha I think the one thing that will be stopping me from charting is that I have a hard enough time getting up and ready in the morning without adding another 'to do' to my list! That's a good sign that your temps are still above the cover line! Have you caved and tested again?? Testing on 6dpo is pretty funny :cheeky:

Lizzy ~ I don't think any of us expected ( I didn't anyway) you not to get KU this cycle so I can only imagine what an unexpected spanner in the works that was for you both! Did you ever find out if you actually Oed that month? So glad that you have a plan and are moving forward but are not jumping straight into IVF. Hopefully you are going to get a sticky bean without it and soon! Fingers crossed and lots of hugs to you.

Jas ~ hope you are in white pants land now!

MP ~ I'm a tummy sleeper too, I never really thought about that contributing to it as well. OMG what are we both going to do when we get KU? No tummy sleeping for nearly 9 months! :-o have fun in vegas!

China ~ I thought the same thing when I saw BB had posted on the thread. It looked very cool. I have a friend who is in a similar situation to your friends. They had their first daughter via IVF after 18 months of trying. They were told with the state of her tubes (she had one removed they were that bad) that there wAs pretty much zero chance of falling pregnant on their own. So they were planning to go for their second round of IVF later this year but the universe had other plans for them. She is about 20 weeks pregnant now. I think there is a lot to be said about stress and it's relation to TTC, that's why I try and be pretty blaze (urgh trying to get the little mark on to of the e but the iPad won't let me!!) about it.

PPM ~ I'm sorry this AF has been rough! Silver lining though, I found after coming off the BC pills it was horrid for a few months but then it seemed to lighten up and go back to normal. I got so bad that I couldn't go to work on the first day for a couple of months if I was supposed to be working out in our van (like a mobile clinic room), because of the lack of facilities. I got very good at hunting down the
local McDonalds in the end. Your description of testing before AF is due is EXACTLY how I've done it before. I used to kick myself for
wasting the test when AF would arrive within hours. Like murphys law or something. A couple of cycles ago I was late but getting bfn. I booked a Dr appointment for a few days later and what do you know? On the way to the Dr the witch arrives! :rolleyes:

Bright ~ I'm sorry this TTC stuff has been getting you down! :(( but going to the dr and having a plan gets you one step closer to your LO right? I'm sorry about your mother too. tell her you will be happy to take your stuff off of her hands if she feels like it's a waste to keep it! I hope you are feeling better now. Hugs.

Amc ~ you made me lol with the afm thing :D

AFM ~ my OPKs came this week, DH checked the mail (which he never does!) and handed me this bulky envelope. Thank goodness he got something in the mail to occupy himself with so I rushed off to the bedroom to quickly open mine. And then shoved it in my bedside table. My daughter asked the other day. 'um mum, why do you have mail in your underwear drawer?" I couldn't think of a good answer.
I asked my boss if I could go back to full time work this September and she was really happy for it. I currently work four days a week over 5 days (well that was the idea!) and I'm supposed to finish at 2.30 every day. Well it hasn't really been working that way and with all the Saturday's I work on top of that I'm doing 6 days a week for 4 days pay! So it makes sense to go back full time. Anyway, there is a TTC related point to this, I promise! So, in order to be entitled to full time maternity leave pay, I need to have been working full time for the previous year, so we are going to push back any fertility assistance until next year. We won't stop trying, just keep on going the way we are now but we won't go back to the dr to get the ball rolling until next year instead of this October. I'm a little sad but the practical side of me says it's the best thing to do. I didn't realize how much of a difference the extra money from 4 days a week to 5 would make, and with a new baby in the house it's a huge amount! But if I happen to fall pregnant between now and next year naturally well that's all good too. I was full time for 3 years before I went to 4 days a week and there hasn't been a break in my employment so I think I may go in and argue that one. :Up_to_something:

So I'm somewhere around the 8dpo mark and my BBs are enormous and sore and I've had a nice hormonal breakout along my jawline so I'm expecting AF to be here by next Thursday.

Well i have enjoyed my delightful breakfast in bed and catching up with you guys, but I must get up and get ready for another Saturday
at work.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock

Happy weekend, all! This is the slow time on these boards, but since DH is working 9 hours at the pharmacy and I don't want to mow the lawn, I figured I would do a quick catch-up.

Steph: It's great you're motivated to get in tip-top shape pre-baby. What types of exercises do you do? I've been trying to slim down a bit as well and am admittedly very fearful about pregnancy weight gain.

MP: I'm sorry your insurance doesn't cover fertility treatments, and hope your doctor can do some crafty coding for your benefit. It just doesn't seem right or fair.

S&I: Updates, please!! My fingers and toes are crossed for you. It's super hard to not be hyper-aware of symptoms, and don't feel silly for analyzing every sensation. It might be something awesome (implantation?) or it might be something crappy (pre-AF symptoms), but you're feeling something! Nothin' wrong with a little excitement over the possibilities.

Bright: I am like :angryfire: :angryfire: for you over what your mom wrote in that e-mail. It is such a reminder that we're never aware of the struggles others are facing and to always be kind with words and actions. I hope you're spirits are lifting a bit, dear.

AMC: AFM :lol: You crack me up! Oy re: the job situation. Hope they hire some additional help STAT... but then will you be partially responsible for training and showing the newbies the ropes? Your employer is lucky to have you! You should tell him/her that double the work should result in double the pay ;)) But really, being that you're a newer employee, this is your time to shine... and you WILL!

HOT: :o I would be a mess if my AF was regularly so horrendous. Your DD stories totally make me smile- it sounds like the two of you have such an awesome relationship. Your reasons for holding out on fertility assistance make complete sense, and I'm glad that your compensation will now match how much energy and time you put into your career (plus the added insurance benefits)! When I first read that snippit I thought " ;( They're going to stop trying?!" but was glad to read that you're still going to TTC sans-assistance for the next year. Hoping it happens when the timing is best for you guys!

Lizzy: When is the accupuncture appointment? I'm really curious to hear your thoughts and opinions on it!

AFM: Thanks, everyone, for joining my AF pity party. Good news is that the witch is already on her way out and it's only CD4. My Wondfo OPK/Preggo package came in the mail yesterday. Good lord are those things TINY! Photos are so deceiving. I was all, "Did I unknowingly order the miniature variety?! Where are my reading glasses?!" Now I know what you ladies meant about narrow v. wider strips. And yes, I peed on one. (I have 40 to burn through, after all) I actually got a decently dark line which made my mind turn to PCOS.... So silly, as I have no other symptoms aside from slightly elevated blood pressure. I simply need to chill.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock

PPM - Sorry AF was such a witch, but I am glad she is on her way out already! I do a lot of different things working out wise - ran a half marathon last November but stopped running when I got sick in April and ended up taking about three months off, oops! Now DH and I are training for a 5K together. He has never run before in his life so we are going slow but it's been fun. I am also trying to do a powerflex weightlifting class two times a week.

S&I, we won't tell anyone you couldn't resist POAS so early. I hope your symptoms turn out to be something positive!

Brightspot, I think there are some factors that can contribute to infertility that are genetic, but just as many that aren't. I figure there is no reason to borrow trouble and worry about it when I don't know if I will even have problems, or if the problems would be for the same reasons.

Lizzy, good luck with your own weight loss! I'm curious to hear about your acupuncture experience, it is something I am very intrigued by.

amc, I'm giggling at your AFM revelation.

HOT, I'm giggling at your hidden mail too. I'm glad you have a plan as far as seeking medical help if needed. Your daughter is so sweet with the breakfast in bed!

AFM, visiting my MIL this weekend. DH is being forced to go through a bunch of the stuff he's got packrated away here. I like my MIL overall but hate visiting her because weekends are my time to actually do stuff around the house, but oh well, I'm earning good DIL points. MIL bought an adorable wooden Noah's Ark toy at an auction that is sitting in her living room. Think she is trying to give us a hint?

jas

Brilliant_Rock

Hi everyone! I made it past Friday with no bleeding, so I think I am officially in a new cycle. To celebrate, I wore white pants, made cupcakes, and shaved my legs. Not all at the same time, natch.

CD, uh, who knows? 9? 10? 15? 182? Whee! Using OPK this cycle, but am also prepared for the possibility that I may not O. I may have some weird addiction to peeing on all things stick...I should probably keep popsicles out of my house.

I'm about 3 days behind....so forgive me if I beat some dead horses here.

Lliang Chi -- Thank you for you compliments. I enjoy this group as well . Where else can I indulge in my love for peeing on all things stick?

Katy -- If you bring cupcakes, I'm there. Where ever "there" is!

Lizzyann -- I am glad you had what seems to have been a productive chat with your RE. It seems like you have a plan of action! Also -- Sesame Place! Whoo! My doctor gave me the okey dokey to get KU whenever I wanted. I figure now is as good a time as any b/c I'm 38 and am so. damned. old. Or at least I feel that way today. I've never had acupuncture, so I'd be curious to hear how it goes!

Hi China Cat! Congrats on pinpointing ovulation...and ugh on ambivalent days. I hear that one!

Missy -- I had 11 day LPs...and had a BFP (and a heck of a lot of baby) to show for it. :)

PPM -- lol about your husband "preparing" and your POASitis. We can be co-dependents. :) I'm sorry AF is being a total b*tch. It is true that one of the best parts of pregnancy is giving a big ol' F*** OFF to AF for awhile! Glad she seems to be leaving!
Brightspot -- I'm so sorry about your mom's baby fever and her lack of subtlty. Boo. I'm sorry this feels like it's not going to be easy....Hugs I hope your spirits are a little higher today.

Steph-- Congrats on working out! That's awesome!

S&I -- At what DPO will you start testing? And tell your temps to stop screwing around! :)

HOT -- definitely in white pants time for the last few days! I should probably wash them. I have often claimed that "part time" work can be a fallacy...so many jobs are "full time" even when they're not supposed to be!
Hi everyone else!

AFM -- DH is being a total butt this weekend. That is all. Oh, and finally got the boys some big boy beds. They're almost three. This is like a year late. Did they nap? No. So now I'm being a butt, too. :cheeky:

S&I

Brilliant_Rock

AMC, I had to look up what AFM stood for before I started using it on this thread too! So sorry about you having to do double the work, but hopefully they will hire someone to help you out soon!

HOT, that is so sweet of your DD to make you breakfast in bed! That is so funny that you hid your package in your bedside table - that is where all my stuff is too! I did cave :oops: and tested again at 8DPO to see another BFN. But my temp shot up this morning to 98.2, which is higher than my highest temp of 98.1 last cycle.

PPM, yay for AF being on her way out! That was my exact reaction when I opened up my first Wondfo too! That is strange that you got a dark line on CD4 - how long are your cycles?

Steph, how far does your MIL live from you and your DH? My in-laws are about 4.5 hours away. I feel like it is about time for another visit, since we haven't gone since May. Thanks for keeping my ridiculous POAS adventures a secret!

jas, yay for officially getting back on the TTC train! When are you going to start using the OPKs? I feel you on the POAS addiction - funny about the popsicles! Unless my temp drops below the coverline tomorrow, I will POAS!

AFM, my temp was at an all time high of 98.2 degrees this morning at 9DPO, so I was happy about that. According to my last cycle, my temp started making its way down at 10DPO and went back down to my pre-O temp range under the coverline at 11DPO. I think I will officially test (those times at 6DPO and 8DPO were just umm, "practice runs" :nono:) tomorrow at 10DPO as long as my temp stays above the coverline.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

S&I

Brilliant_Rock

Quick update - still a BFN at 10DPO, which was surprising to me because my temp shot up to 98.4 this morning. Now I have to see what happens with my temp tomorrow. I guess 10DPO is still pretty early? I even dreamed that I had tested two times throughout the day and they were both BFPs! But I also dreamed that my sister had been PG for a while without telling me, so I think I just have pregnancies on the mind! Should I test again tomorrow if my temp stays high or just wait until 12DPO or later?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

I have a question about the Wondfo's...I went to amazon to purchase but see quite a few varieties on there. Is there one in particular you recommend? I see kits, and then in others there are just strips...do I need to buy the kit first and then the strips? :confused:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

Another question about vitamins. My dr. said to take a prenatal vitamin, folic acid and calcium 500 mg 2x/day. How much folic acid do I need? Don't most prenatals have it in there? I also see that many prenatals have the omega 3 in them...should I stop taking my regular omega 3 pill everyday?

For calcium, I've been taking viactive for years now...can't take the pills...they make me nauseous! I guess I should prepare for that feeling, huh?!

S&I

Brilliant_Rock

centralsquare|1312740271|2985919 said:
I have a question about the Wondfo's...I went to amazon to purchase but see quite a few varieties on there. Is there one in particular you recommend? I see kits, and then in others there are just strips...do I need to buy the kit first and then the strips? :confused:

I think these are the ones that I ordered:
http://www.amazon.com/Wondfo-40-Ovulation-10-Pregnancy/dp/B001FYLNVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312757147&sr=8-1

Be warned that the actual strips are tiny! But the ovulation strips worked for me - I posted a pic of them when I got my surge a few pages back, if you want to see. Good luck - I think you'll like them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results