shape
carat
color
clarity

Shark week

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Actually I'm ethnically Chinese, and well, I guess geographically I'm living in south east asia, so that pretty much makes me chinese too (or as much as you get to be outside of China). But I really don't identify with my roots as much as I should. That's another thing altogether.

But anyway, on the whole shark finning thing. You're right, each person only makes a difference in their own choices. I for one have stopped since awareness of the issue all those years ago. And at every dinner, every ceremony, when the staff at the hotel serves everyone from the big bowl of shark's fin soup - I always pass.

People always ask. I always explain. Not in an accusatory way... just to make conversation. And also to make a point. Yes, it is dead already. No i won't eat it. Why? And then I explain.

Who knows, perhaps some people went back and thought about it, and decided to skip it altogether. At the least, I make polite conversation about my choices.

I WILL say that restaurants are largely to blame though. Most set meals I see include the dish as a by-the-way, just because it allows them to pad out the margins. Idiots.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
On one of last night's episodes during shark week, they mentioned that mercury levels in sharks and that, as people eat them, they get greater exposure. Fascinating. There was another interesting episode where divers were in an underwater cage and teh shark went above them and got stuck on top and was thrashing. I would have freaked out! Then again, I wouldn't have been in the water to begin with.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
centralsquare|1312213287|2981613 said:
On one of last night's episodes during shark week, they mentioned that mercury levels in sharks and that, as people eat them, they get greater exposure. Fascinating. There was another interesting episode where divers were in an underwater cage and teh shark went above them and got stuck on top and was thrashing. I would have freaked out! Then again, I wouldn't have been in the water to begin with.

Exactly, other large predators too, like swordfish and tuna. I think they have reduced maximum recommendations to two cans/week for pregnant women and children under 6 because it causes cognitive issues in the fetus.

See I'd brave a shark cage, I'd be scared to death, but I'd do it. I had a bad scuba experience in Spain as a kid, I didn't get hurt at all, but it scared me from deep open ocean swimming.
Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and just do it - fight your fears and all that jazz :lol:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd like to do one of the Stuart Cove deals in the Bahamas. I'd like to go out on say, the Great White Expedition boat too.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
packrat|1312237100|2981810 said:
I'd like to do one of the Stuart Cove deals in the Bahamas. I'd like to go out on say, the Great White Expedition boat too.

That would be quite an experience...

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
maplefemme|1312234905|2981794 said:
centralsquare|1312213287|2981613 said:

Exactly, other large predators too, like swordfish and tuna. I think they have reduced maximum recommendations to two cans/week for pregnant women and children under 6 because it causes cognitive issues in the fetus.

See I'd brave a shark cage, I'd be scared to death, but I'd do it. I had a bad scuba experience in Spain as a kid, I didn't get hurt at all, but it scared me from deep open ocean swimming.
Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and just do it - fight your fears and all that jazz :lol:

Ok - you can get into a cage, and let me know how it goes!! :errrr:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
maplefemme|1312241552|2981857 said:

Oh, I'd be terrified!!!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1312241810|2981861 said:

Oh, I'd be terrified!!!!

I'm not saying I wouldn't be curled up on the bottom of the boat in the fetal position.. :shock: They can go about their research business and I'll peek over the side, Killroy style and then drop down and pray the boat doesn't sink. I just want to *see* one, once. In as safe and controlled environment as possible.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1312250022|2981999 said:
centralsquare|1312241810|2981861 said:

Oh, I'd be terrified!!!!

I'm not saying I wouldn't be curled up on the bottom of the boat in the fetal position.. :shock: They can go about their research business and I'll peek over the side, Killroy style and then drop down and pray the boat doesn't sink. I just want to *see* one, once. In as safe and controlled environment as possible.

Yea, me too...but then I see Shark Week!

bagelboy

Shiny_Rock
I love Shark week! So interesting beacause so much about sharks is finally being discovered. I think no one yet really has video taped sharks courtship or reproducing yet. Yet we kill hundreds of thousands each year to make shark fin soup.Shame Dancing Fire! The oceans will never be ecologically balanced without sharks. I guess it must be human nature to annihilate every predator will find in nature so we can feel superior for a few fleeting minutes. I don't think most sharks are dangerous, just don't be swimming in murky waters or near seals. ;-)

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
bagelboy|1312266261|2982140 said:
I love Shark week! So interesting beacause so much about sharks is finally being discovered. I think no one yet really has video taped sharks courtship or reproducing yet. Yet we kill hundreds of thousands each year to make shark fin soup.Shame Dancing Fire! The oceans will never be ecologically balanced without sharks. I guess it must be human nature to annihilate every predator will find in nature so we can feel superior for a few fleeting minutes. I don't think most sharks are dangerous, just don't be swimming in murky waters or near seals. ;-)

It is interesting how little is known about sharks, especially around reproduction and where they have their young. There is a lot of research with sharks and cancer because it just doesn't exist (or hasn't been detected yet) in that population.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results