shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning stainless steel appliances

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I love Barkeeper's Friend for my sink and my cooktop, but I think the Weiman SS wipes are better for the appliances because it's quicker and they leave less residue. I love Barkeeper's Friend, though, and I found out about it on PS :)

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Going forward, I will use just the Weimanns (now that the rust is almost gone). Barkeepers Friend is -- as you said NewEnglandLady -- just really messy. After using it, I had to clean the cupboard, the floor...really the whole kitchen (and of course my rings since I was wearing them). There is a bit of an odd smell too! But I'm really happy now with the kitchen. Can't wait to have everyone over and make it messy again!

fmzip

Rough_Rock
There are different grades of stainless steel. The fake stainless shows everything, the real stuff shows very little.
All my appliances are from Frigidaire's higher end lines.

Here is a video I found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sNyab-kWMc

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
fmzip said:
There are different grades of stainless steel. The fake stainless shows everything, the real stuff shows very little.
All my appliances are from Frigidaire's higher end lines.

Here is a video I found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sNyab-kWMc

Interesting...I wish I didn't get fingerprints like that!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just bought a house in May, and (I'll call it an opportunity) had the chance to buy our own appliances. We chose black throughout the kitchen. Imo, s/s is very high maintenance (although lovely) and also very trendy (as in, I do not expect to see it around in 20 years, and for good reason--upkeep.) Reminds me, in particular, of my father's restaurant kitchens! Well, gee, someone was paid every night to keep those wiped down! My mother would've FLIPPED if she'd had those in her home kitchen!

I get the beauty, I get the trend, I really do. They look really nice. But honestly, every house SO and I saw during our buying process...we were like "oh, it's s/s..." disappointed, in those kitchens. We were really looking for classic. We were lucky to find a bare-bones somewhat new construction house that didn't have any apps whatsoever, so we could do with it what we wanted. We'll likely be here for 5 years, so I don't feel like the next round of buyers will be super concerned about s/s. Perhaps they'll already be over the trend, which of course, will be to our advantage.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1311144244|2972797 said:
We just bought a house in May, and (I'll call it an opportunity) had the chance to buy our own appliances. We chose black throughout the kitchen. Imo, s/s is very high maintenance (although lovely) and also very trendy (as in, I do not expect to see it around in 20 years, and for good reason--upkeep.) Reminds me, in particular, of my father's restaurant kitchens! Well, gee, someone was paid every night to keep those wiped down! My mother would've FLIPPED if she'd had those in her home kitchen!

I get the beauty, I get the trend, I really do. They look really nice. But honestly, every house SO and I saw during our buying process...we were like "oh, it's s/s..." disappointed, in those kitchens. We were really looking for classic. We were lucky to find a bare-bones somewhat new construction house that didn't have any apps whatsoever, so we could do with it what we wanted. We'll likely be here for 5 years, so I don't feel like the next round of buyers will be super concerned about s/s. Perhaps they'll already be over the trend, which of course, will be to our advantage.

I now realize the irony that it's called Stainless Steel

vsc

Shiny_Rock
Windex!

Has anyone tried it? We just spray a bunch of windex, then wipe with the 'grain' of the stainless with paper towels.
Ours are the fairly low-end stainless finish, maybe there's a difference with the high-end stuff?

Works for us.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
vsc|1311176969|2973013 said:
Windex!

Has anyone tried it? We just spray a bunch of windex, then wipe with the 'grain' of the stainless with paper towels.
Ours are the fairly low-end stainless finish, maybe there's a difference with the high-end stuff?

Works for us.

I had tried that and it left streaks. But, I had all kinds of existing streaks and rust so maybe it works no cleaner SS?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
The Windex leaves streaks for me, too. I have to really buff it to get the streaks to disappear. The Pledge multisurface wipes (haven't tried the spray) leave streaks for me, too. So far, Weiman's is the only product I can really wipe on, wipe off and be done. I'd love to find some type of wipe that doesn't require me to wipe it off. I might try the microfiber cloth for daily maintenance.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
NEL, try the pledge with the MF cloths. The cloths make a huge difference.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait a minute . . .

This is a long thread about the challenges and tricks of cleaning something you had to pay extra for because it is . . . uhm . . . stainless.

Pardon moi, but I'm having a bit of a George Carlin moment here.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally, kenny, i think stainless isn't that bad to keep clean. to me the worst is black appliances. and those white ones? almost as bad.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1311207564|2973426 said:
Wait a minute . . .

This is a long thread about the challenges and tricks of cleaning something you had to pay extra for because it is . . . uhm . . . stainless.

Pardon moi, but I'm having a bit of a George Carlin moment here.

I see where you're going with that. So, lots of flatware is made from stainless, as are watches, some jewelry, etc. The metal is just meant to be RESISTANT to rust and corrosion. If properly taken care of, it's good stuff. But it is ironic that little teensy rust spots tend to appear on stainless items, including flatware (if left in the dishwasher on "air dry" rather than "heat dry" in my experience, smaller appliances (we have a black microwave with stainless trim and it has some small spots already--a year after purchase), and major appliances. My watch is all stainless and I haven't had any problem with it so far (4 years), so it's kind of a mystery.

I think the worst SS piece I ever purchased was a Simple Human trash can. Omg, it was the hardest thing to keep clean. Never again!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Good stainless is like a good diamond. Clean it once, sparkles and stays nice and shiny with just a simple buff and a cloth. Doesn't look stained etc.

Crap stainless is like a badly represented ebay diamond. It isn't what it said it was, it loses its luster within minutes, and right after cleaning it you feel the urge to clean it again.

C'mon Kenny, get some high quality diamonds will ya? ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results