carat
color
clarity

High School Reunions and such.........

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1310694685|2969306 said:
tigian|1310679257|2969095 said:
Jaysonsmom, does your DH put a lot of effort in his appearance for events in general? For whatever reason, a red flag came up when I read your post regarding your DH and working out to look his best. It is most likely harmless and of course you know your DH best, but I have heard of 2 separate people rekindling with their high school sweetheart at their reunions, both leading to divorce and re-marriage. :cry: (I'm sorry for putting a damper on things.)
:-o :Up_to_something: ... i'm sure J'smom feel much better now... :bigsmile:

Yup, now I'm just going to go into stalker mode and check up on him.....muuahahahahhahah :twisted:

All kidding aside, I really don't want to go, I just wanted to be reassured that he would have really liked for me to have been there, and a little hurt that he didn't try a little harder to persuade me.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1310706138|2969425 said:
Dancing Fire|1310694685|2969306 said:
tigian|1310679257|2969095 said:
Jaysonsmom, does your DH put a lot of effort in his appearance for events in general? For whatever reason, a red flag came up when I read your post regarding your DH and working out to look his best. It is most likely harmless and of course you know your DH best, but I have heard of 2 separate people rekindling with their high school sweetheart at their reunions, both leading to divorce and re-marriage. :cry: (I'm sorry for putting a damper on things.)
:-o :Up_to_something: ... i'm sure J'smom feel much better now... :bigsmile:

Yup, now I'm just going to go into stalker mode and check up on him.....muuahahahahhahah :twisted:

All kidding aside, I really don't want to go, I just wanted to be reassured that he would have really liked for me to have been there, and a little hurt that he didn't try a little harder to persuade me.

oh c'mon,tell the truth...we know you wanna check out his Ex GFs... :bigsmile:

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom|1310665962|2968920 said:
My husband's 20th High School Reunion is coming up, and it's started a debate at our place, I want your opinion on this.
1) Would you or have you attend(ed) any high school reunions
2) Would you get glammed up, for the reunion
3) Would you bring your SO if they did not attend the High School and didn't know anyone?
Hi jaysonsmom,

1) I have attended my 10-year-reunion and will try to attend future ones, as well.
2) I wouldn't get glammed up, but I did make sure I looked nice and put together.
3) I chose not to, last time around, because I thought he would be bored, but other people brought their spouses (mostly wives)

Edited: I accidentally wrote 5-year-reunion at first. Apparently it's news to me how old I really am ;-)

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 30th is mere weeks away. I have no plans to go. Skipped my 10th - but I went to my 20th and had a really good time, and at that time there was a sign-up for a 25th. I found out through a grapevine it was on, but I'd never been contacted. Understand that I've been at the same address now for 13 years. I was more than a bit put out, honestly. Decided that the cliques of old were still functioning all too well, and said screw it. So 30th? Nope. Maybe my husband and I will go out for a nice dinner instead.

My husband's 30th was last year. We skipped that one too...

ETA - at my 20th I dressed nicely of course, and appropriately to the venue, but glammed up? As in trying hard to impress? Um...no.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my 45th is less than 10 days away. not going. i did attend all the ones since graduation up until now. i just do not enjoy being around these people. i didn't have much in common with them then and time hasn't changed that. driving 3 hours one way to be around people i don't enjoy and imbibe cheap beer and eat bad food is not my idea of a fun time. i do not remember my high school days with great fondness and trying to pretend they were wonderful times has gotten old. however, apparently it was the best days of their lives for many of them.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't go to my 10 year reunion last year-the people that I stay in touch with are the ones that I want to see and the others I don't care either way if I see them. DH went to his 10 year two years ago-they went away for a weekend and he had an amazing time. He just wore his normal clothes. I wasn't invited but I wouldn't have gone if I had been-he went to an all boys school so it wouldn't have been very interesting for me!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1310665962|2968920 said:
My husband's 20th High School Reunion is coming up, and it's started a debate at our place, I want your opinion on this.

1) Would you or have you attend(ed) any high school reunions
2) Would you get glammed up, for the reunion
3) Would you bring your SO if they did not attend the High School and didn't know anyone?

1--- Haven't had one yet, but yes I would consider going.
2---- I'd probably buy a new outfit that was appropriate to the event (bbq or formal or whatever) and flattering but not like I'm trying to show off.
3 ---- YES. I would not go if FI didn't come with me and I would be very upset if he chose to go to his without me. (there'd be something really wrong if he did.... by the next reunion we'll be married, I'll have a bachelor's degree in computer engineering and a bachelor's in aeronautical engineering, probably done with at least one Master's, the airplane will be fully restored and flying, etc)

So you tell me..... what guy doesn't dream of showing up to his reunion in his own private airplane with an educated wife who is 29 years younger than him? :lol:

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
We both went to DH's 11 year (they were a little late in planning it) reunion a couple years ago. We started dating in HS, so I knew a lot of his friends even though I went to a different school in the same area. They also did it as a joint event with the class that graduated the year after his, we both knew many of the people attending. We did dress up a bit, but it was dinner at a nice hotel. It was a bit sad that two graduating classes of ~300 students each only produced a reunion of 150 people including guests.

My 10 year was 2 months after that, at the same hotel put on by the same company. We didn't bother.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I only went to my 20th, because my friend and I helped to plan it! The 10th was really lame and she and I didn't want a repeat so we did it ourselves and it was a lot of fun...not too dressy, but not jeans either and everyone enjoyed it a lot.

My DH came to my event, he came for moral support and helped us with some of the set up/tear down.

My DH's reunion is coming up in 2 weeks...he is doing 2 of the weekend events on his own (the Friday night at the bar and Saturday morning golf outing) but I am going to go to the dinner with him Saturday night. It's at a country club, but just business casual attire. I will probably be bored silly, but figure I can meet up with another spouse and have a nice chat!

Not sure if I'll go to any more reunions...maybe a 50th! =)

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I haven't been to any of my reunions, but if I were to go, I wouldn't bring DF. Not only would it be boring for him, but I would also feel like I had to talk to him a lot and I'd probably want to spend the time catching up with people. I would definitely get dressed up!!!! No use in going if I'm not going to make a good impression!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
centralsquare|1310861556|2970582 said:
I haven't been to any of my reunions, but if I were to go, I wouldn't bring DF. Not only would it be boring for him, but I would also feel like I had to talk to him a lot and I'd probably want to spend the time catching up with people. I would definitely get dressed up!!!! No use in going if I'm not going to make a good impression!!
hey,why not?? :confused: might be fun for the both of us.. :naughty:

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't gone but would consider going to one of my reunions.
I don't think I'd glam up much, the pictures of women overdone at reunions kind of make me sad.
I think it's not only okay for a non-alumni spouse to go, I think it's somewhat expected.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ten year is coming up in a year, I plan to attend. My *husband* (2 1/2 weeks officially!!) went to highschool with me and we had all the same friends so of course he would be going- if he didnt go to my HS that would depend then on if he knew people attending like my friends and their SO. As for dress- depending on the venue, I would definitely look my best- but not overdress.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I've been thinking about this for some reason. Well we had a HS reunion about 5 years ago at a casual resturant. I did go, and so did my husband because we attended the same high school. Honestly, I did not have any friends in high school. At the end of high school, I was quite isolated. I remember having no one to sit with at lunch, and thus stopped eating lunch all together because I was so lonely. I was considered to be a quiet, nerdy (except I wasn't really smart), friendless girl. I was teased a lot about being flat-chested. My husband was a year older, a jock, very popular, very attractive. We spoke recently about why he decided to pursue me. He laughed and said, "I could see the potential"

Did I glam up? Well I wore what I usually wear. So I did have on a skirt and very high heels. And I wore my best outfit.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't smug about what I've accomplished in my life. And no one called me flat-chested :rolleyes:

I wouldn't go again though. And frankly, the people that treated me as a social outcast then, don't deserve my time now.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
This is very apropo for me because my high school reunion is this weekend. Am I going? No way! I had about 2 friends in my graduating class, and I can see them when I go back to my hometown. I didn't like those people then; I was also a social outccast, so I sure don't want to see them now.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to one high school reunion (20th, 25th)? I was also a nerd and felt alienated from the rah rah pro high school crowd. I wanted to go with my husband (heck show him off - I didn't even date in HS) but he didn't feel like going, which I understand.
It was interesting, nice to talk to some people I was friends with and see how they turned out, but I do have to admit many of the people who were mysterious and was most curious about didn't attend (not surprising I guess). Most people brought their SO's, and the majority of the women wore dresses (tight, short-hemmed and with heels). I wore a tank top with slacks, and my sister wore jeans and boots.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results