shape
carat
color
clarity

PSA: FCD GIA warning

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA issues two kinds of reports on natural fancy colored diamonds.
One grades everything and the other only grades a few things, which does not include clarity.
The abbreviated one is called the Colored Diamond Identification and Origin Report or CDIOR.

On Rocky Talk a poster asked whether a FCD with clarity enhancement could get a CDIOR.
Good question - which had not occurred to me.

I just called GIA.
I spoke to a gentleman named Mike who works in the colored diamond grading lab in GIA's location in Carlsbad California.

He says GIA will NOT issue a CDIOR on a diamond that is fractured filled but WILL issue a CDIOR on a diamond that is laser drilled and that report will not mention the laser drilling.
They do not even look for laser drilling on FCDs submitted for a CDIOR.
If a grader happens to notice laser drilling he/she does nothing with that information.

I was very surprised to hear this.

He recommended getting the vendor to put in writing that it is not laser drilled so you have recourse after the sale and getting it looked at by an independent professional qualified Graduate Gemologist.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
if you're buying a substantial colored diamond without full report, i would have the vendor send it to GIA for a full report and pay for it out of my pocket... much safer that way... i know for one, i myself, wouldn't buy any substantial colored diamond without full report...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
acebruin|1310579253|2968170 said:
if you're buying a substantial colored diamond without full report, i would have the vendor send it to GIA for a full report and pay for it out of my pocket... much safer that way... i know for one, i myself, wouldn't buy any substantial colored diamond without full report...

While that is a good idea it is not possible on FCDs under 0.15 ct.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
ah yes you have a point there... well then you just have to trust your vendor... :D

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
acebruin|1310579600|2968176 said:
ah yes you have a point there... well then you just have to trust your vendor... :D

Or like Ronnnie RayGun says, trust and verify.
Get it to a GG you trust within the return period.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't stress too much. Laser drilling is not too difficult to spot. I bought a FCD once and when it arrived I could see (with my naked eye) what looked like lines in the stone (almost silver/grey against the colour). I got my loupe out and could then clearly see what looked like very straight lines going deep into the stone. Having not seen laser drilling before I thought it might be but couldn't be certain. I took it to an appraiser who confirmed that yes, that was laser drilling. Thankfully I got my money back and was allowed to keep the stone - but not after a huge fight and lots of anguish!

I may have some photos somewhere of the stone - will look at the weekend if you're interested.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the post!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1310588636|2968281 said:
I wouldn't stress too much. Laser drilling is not too difficult to spot. I bought a FCD once and when it arrived I could see (with my naked eye) what looked like lines in the stone (almost silver/grey against the colour). I got my loupe out and could then clearly see what looked like very straight lines going deep into the stone. Having not seen laser drilling before I thought it might be but couldn't be certain. I took it to an appraiser who confirmed that yes, that was laser drilling. Thankfully I got my money back and was allowed to keep the stone - but not after a huge fight and lots of anguish!

I may have some photos somewhere of the stone - will look at the weekend if you're interested.

Hmm, how did you manage to keep the stone and get your money back?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always say to go for the more comprehensive GIA report with clarity grading. I highly advise that when purchasing any diamond, not just FCD's.

As far as I'm concerned, the GIA shouldn't be issuing diamond reports without clarity grading, and/or enhancement. I think it's irresponsible of them, and allows people to use their good name to decieve customers.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TristanC|1310609906|2968472 said:
LovingDiamonds|1310588636|2968281 said:

Hmm, how did you manage to keep the stone and get your money back?

It was wildly mis-sold and the vendor wanted to keep his reputation - which has since been trashed by others. Right place right time for me. That's all!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results