shape
carat
color
clarity

Just for Fun... Facet rough search...

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
After the comment on the aquamarine I though.... How many have truly searched for fine facet rough to see what a cutter has to go through to get the stone to you the consumer???

If you did 3 searches; natural fine blue aquamarine, fine blue spinel, and fine blue sapphire facet rough; in a gem that will cut a 2 carat eye clean gem with no treatments... One that would be worthy of YOUR collection...

We can use the gauge of a 8mm round;( I know... do not be too picky as I know all have different SG and will weigh different; just humor me ) and the rough will have to be at least 12mm wide and 8mm deep... Your cost to cut the gem will be 100 dollars as that is a far cry from the 4K investment in the machine and laps, not to mention time and abilities...

Just see what is out there and offered and what price they want for the rough; you all have great eyes for color and after this is done you will all have a better understanding as to what us cutters have to do to find great gems and great prices for all our friends on PS... Remember pick and choose wisely as this will be your gem when it is finished :) Not really but if you bought it; it would be...

I know there are several PS Ladies that have done this as they like the cost comparison on buying their own rough and having it cut apposed to just buying the cut gem; so many on here know the procedure; and the disappointments and elation of going that route.

This is in no way meant to disrespect anyone as this is a fun and educational posed question...

Have fun :roll:

Most respectfully;

Dana

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I don't care to take up that challenge. But I applaud you cutters who obviously do it out of a labor of love. I went rough shopping in Arusha (too chicken to buy though) and it was clear how easy it is to lose your shirt on a parcel if it doesn't cut to be what you expected.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Dana :wavey: Thanks, but I'll pass too! The biggest intimidating factor for me would be trying to gauge the color the rough would be when cut. The few times I have had rough cut, the cutters have shown me rough and I have purchased based mainly on their expert opinions of what color it would be when cut. I applaud your ability to do that, not to mention everything else involved with cutting.

On the other hand, sometimes I buy rough, send it to be cut and hope - that's kind of like a treasure hunt or like buying a lottery ticket :love: :-o cause you're never sure what you'll get.

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If I'm reading that listing correctly, you'll lose ~20% of the material removing the cracks. If I'm seeing the photos correctly, there are some "divets" which will reduce yield a bit more as well.

Take 89cts minus the 20% the vendor mentioned, and you've got 71cts. Calculate for a 20% yield which is how I budget when buying rough and that piece should net a bit over 14cts finished. It might do better than that, but that's usually a reasonable yield to estimate, especially when you haven't seen the material first hand. Realistically it could come in anywhere from 15% to 35% but you don't know until you get it underway. Stuff happens, both good and bad.

Generally I like barion cuts and domed crowns for deepening the colour in Aquamarine. Those can help improve yield as well.

Cheers,

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com
www.greengemfoundation.com

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I would happily buy a rough diamond of inferior (read: cheap) colour just to see what can be cut out of it, but none of the vendors are coming forward who are masochistic enough to cut up diamond rough :))

A challenge for a challenge? :D

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Cutting diamonds requires completely different equipment than coloured stones. Diamond cutting would burn the motor out of my machine, so no taker here!

Cheers,

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com
www.greengemfoundation.com

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand the risks, hence I've not purchased rough for cutting. There are so many variables than there is no one prediction that will produce the right shape, dimensions and end result colour I want. Gemstones are not made to order. This is why a lapidary will cut for the best yield and colour. Sure, he/she can cut any piece of rough to a specific shape but colour might be compromised and the carat weight loss might be unbearable. If I have no choice in the matter, I'd rather purchase a badly cut stone and have it recut, which decreases the risk significantly and probably is an easier task.

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1310473027|2967100 said:
I understand the risks, hence I've not purchased rough for cutting. There are so many variables than there is no one prediction that will produce the right shape, dimensions and end result colour I want. Gemstones are not made to order. This is why a lapidary will cut for the best yield and colour. Sure, he/she can cut any piece of rough to a specific shape but colour might be compromised and the carat weight loss might be unbearable. If I have no choice in the matter, I'd rather purchase a badly cut stone and have it recut, which decreases the risk significantly and probably is an easier task.

That's a very good strategy. Bozo cut's (as I call them) can make great preforms and there's no way to hide inclusions and stress fracturing. If I can get them for a decent price I'll pick them up now and then but getting the right price is always the trick :mrgreen:

Pete

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't even attempt the challenge for similar reasons to others namely:-

1. I wouldn't be able to accurately gauge the final colour (so would it be "fine")????
2. I would have difficulty assessing the inclusions etc., and what could/couldn't be cut out or make a piece of rough workable/unworkable.
3. Finding blue spinel rough (of end product fine quality) I would assume is a bit like finding hen's teeth
4. Finally ............ some things are left to experts!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results