shape
carat
color
clarity

advice on 2 stones

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd ask if GOG can make you a video of the two.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
I like the 1.52 better. I believe the ASET looks better and it has a little better color. How do you feel about fluorescence? I don't know that they can make a video as the 1.52 is not in house, but it couldn't hurt to ask. Definitely get my suggestions double checked by an expert.

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
Table is too big on the H-VS2 for my taste. I'm not saying that a big table will affect light performance, but just that I don't like the ratio -- and in a diamond that big, you will definitely notice the table size!

Are you sure that you want a 4-main modern cushion? Have you seen one IRL? There are lots of different cushion types, and they all look different IRL, despite having an outline that is generally similar.

Jrawk380

Rough_Rock
I appreciate the feedback and will see about a video of some sort. Initially I was pumped about the 1.75 but the ASET did not meet my expectations and i too liked the ASET of the 1.52, there also seems to be what looks like a few "watery" spots in the 1.75 that turned me off a bit as well. Looking at the GIA report date on the 1.52, it has been sitting for a while (assumption), and i dont think that could be a good thing, it just seems to have too many question marks (proportions, fluorescence, etc..)

As far as the 4 mains, I have not seen one, it is now on my to do list to check out some local B&M stores to try and see one today or tomorrow.

Nothing very positive about either stone here, so i guess it is back to the hunt? i really wanted to like the 1.75 too :(

Any ideas?
Thanks Yall.

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
I know exactly how you feel. We found a 1.71 last year and I loved it on paper (for the ct size in retrospect), but when I saw it, it had a giant table, and was a 4 main. My personal problem with that 4 main in particular was that the symmetry has to be bang on. (The vertices of the pavilion intersect the "corners" of the table, if that makes sense, and the bigger the table, the easier it is to see the lack of intersection -- if you care about these things and stare at your ring at work, for example...)

In contrast, we also looked at old mine cushions and 8-mains with the same symmetry grade, and I could not pick out the asymmetry. Cushions are really hard to buy online without doing some IRL research because the cut really affects how it looks to the naked eye.

If you're anywhere near NY, I would go to GoG or ERD and do some research IRL (we went to both). Look at the diamond and the pavilion pattern on the cert and see if you can ID pavilion patterns (that's the 4-main, 8-main, OMC, etc thing) that you like. Then think about how big a table you'd like (just big or small will suffice, don't narrow it to a specific % for cushions).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results