shape
carat
color
clarity

Wiring money to Brian Gavin Diamonds?

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My fiance wired money to Brian Gavin Diamonds today. The bank said that the routing number was not one they had listed as being associated with Brian Gavin's bank (editing out bank name). My online invoice said payment would be made to: Alpha Creations Inc doing business as: BrianGavinDiamonds.com. Our bank talked to Brian Gavin's staff and then wanted to know if I trusted them. I said "Yes, 100%".

I was right to say that, right? I'm just having my own moment of panic right now after recent threads about problems with vendors.

Also, we got talked into putting a deposit on a diamond locally. I e-mailed them today and asked for a copy of the certificate (which we were stupid to not ask to see before putting a deposit on. I knew better but ugh, we did it anyway because it could be cancelled at any time. Really, I'm ashamed of myself.) I was told that they would request a copy after we buy the diamond. What? No! So I am stressing out here...

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
Call BGD yourself and verify that you have the correct routing and account info.

While I thing BGD is pretty honest, the email can be spoofed. (e.g., you received an email supposedly from BGD, but not from BGD)

When in question, always call for something like this.

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
And on your local diamond: There are these things called fax machines. Even if the diamond is with the dealer, they could ask HIM to fax it to them to fax to you. If you can't verify that it HAS a cert (let alone look up the cert online yourself), I'd run away quickly.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies! I called Brian Gavin again and they verified that the routing number is correct. I can breathe much better now. :)

The "local" jeweler now says that they just can't send the cert. electronically but could show it to me in the store, but this is after I said to just cancel the hold immediately if they can't produce the cert. I think the change in stories is shady, but I asked for info from it so I can plug it into the HCA. By "local", I still mean about 30 miles away, so I am not going to be stopping in any time soon.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just ask for the GIA report number and the carat weight, with that you can get an electronic copy off GIA reportcheck.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stone-cold11|1309904115|2962266 said:
Just ask for the GIA report number and the carat weight, with that you can get an electronic copy off GIA reportcheck.

Thanks. I have just done that with the local vendor.

And my fiance found out that the reason for the confusion about Brian Gavin's routing number was that our bank had their bank entered in their system with the wrong city name. All is good on that front, and I can't wait to get the diamond and compare it with another one we just ordered from Good Old Gold. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would absolutely cancel with the local person. I can't tolerate playing those kinds of games. Too many better options out there.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
cancel the local person, that is all a big rigamorole.

That name for BGD (Alpha etc.) is what I used when I bankwired them. I'm sure it is fine!

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yea Alpha is the actual legal name of the corporation. Brian is just dba Brian Gavin Diamonds.

I wrote my check to Alpha so nothing to worry about. I got my diamond just fine :twirl:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I would cancel with the local guy as well. You have two fantastic vendors working with you now! Cant wait to see what you decide! Congrats!

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
Definitely cancel with the local vendor - I've gone to several throughout the process of looking at engagement rings and have found that you will always pay more for local diamonds than those that you can find online, which most of the time are much better quality.

The bank wiring info is good to know! I'll be wiring them soon, so I can rest my mind if that problem comes up :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results