shape
carat
color
clarity

Mystic Topaz

mardia

Rough_Rock
Hi, This is my first time so please be gentle!!!!!, I purchased a Mystic Topaz for my wife while we we on a cruise to Asia, and I re-cut the pavillion as it was very deep, in doing so I lost some of the Mystic coating, I know it is Titainium Oxide that is used to enhance the Topaz but I cannot find how to apply it.
Can anyone out there help me?????????????
Cheers
Mardia

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never heard of anybody applying the coating on their own - as far as I know, it is done commercially. Mystic topaz is very inexpensive and quite easily available, so you are probably better off getting a replacement stone, rather than trying to recoat it yourself.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1309187988|2956175 said:
I've never heard of anybody applying the coating on their own - as far as I know, it is done commercially. Mystic topaz is very inexpensive and quite easily available, so you are probably better off getting a replacement stone, rather than trying to recoat it yourself.

Ditto to the above bolded information. You can find mystic topaz all over ebay for very little money. Good luck.

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I could be wrong but I always thought that it was similar to how they make aura quartz and AB. Put it in a vacuum and spray a thin layer on. I agree that you would be better off just buying a new one, but it's a shame if the stone is sentimental to you and your wife.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Ditto, I'm pretty sure you can't DIY this stuff. It's physical vapour deposition (PVD) which requires a vacuum to deposit the titanium oxide on the pavillion facets. It would be a lot cheaper to buy a new stone.

However, if your stone has sentimental value then it might be worth emailing these guys and seeing if they might be prepared to give yours a bit of a new paint-job. Can't cost them anything to do it...

http://www.azotic.us/

mardia

Rough_Rock
Thank you to all those people who have answered my call for help,So it looks like I will have to accept the situation as is,
I have added an insert of the stone in a setting made by me, and you can see the loss of reflection in the centre of stone, but we still like it!!!!

2011_0628stonesFacet0002.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results