color
clarity

Pricescope Presidential Poll

Who will you vote for in the 2004 Presidential Election

• Ralph Nader (Independent)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Senator John F. Kerry

• Third Party (Libertarian, Green, Constitution, etc)

• I don''t plan on voting

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2004 5:22:11 PM
Author: Feydakin
The thing that so many people are ignoring is that we don''t WANT GW to be more centrist.. I would wager that a significant percentage of the people that voted for him, and gave him a house and senate to work with, want him to pull the country more to the right.. Just like the left would want to pull the country toward the left..
>>snip
Steve
Steve, the "we" you refer to doesn''t appear to include some Bush supporters, like goldengirl, todd07 and perhaps even Fire&Ice for her stance on abortion. That is what I don''t understand: how people can vote one way or another and then think that the guy they voted in isn''t going to fully pursue the platform he campaigned on. Again, I''m not arguing the correctness or incorrectness of Bush governing as if he has a mandate, just stating the reality -- which is what you did as well:

>>...This time I fully expect to see a significant push to the right and the left be damned..

Yep, that''s what I fully expect to see too!
39.gif
2.gif

by the way goldengirl, if you want to snip some of a quote, just double click in the box and you will be able to edit it. I have no idea how you can take parts of a quote and put them in a different box...

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Steve, the ''we'' you refer to doesn''t appear to include some Bush supporters, like goldengirl, todd07 and perhaps even Fire&Ice for her stance on abortion. That is what I don''t understand: how people can vote one way or another and then think that the guy they voted in isn''t going to fully pursue the platform he campaigned on. Again, I''m not arguing the correctness or incorrectness of Bush governing as if he has a mandate, just stating the reality -- which is what you did as well:
I can only answer for myself. As you may have read, I''m not for Gay marriage. Not because I think homosexuality is a sin & they be damned to hell. Not because their love is any less diminished. In my mind, it''s one of those "it''s all good and well - then reality & the sheer symantics set in". I don''t see how it can work. As I stated, you can''t legislate what "love" is & who that may be between beyond what thousands of years dictate. Look at the whole green card thing. So, while I don''t want a "ban on gay marriage" ammendment to the Consitution. I''m not for gay marriage. I could be wrong; but, I don''t think the Ammendment will happen in the end. I don''t think it''s consitutional.

Regarding abortion, I don''t think that will change. The decison is history. Judges/Justices don''t like to reverse something like that. I think Roe v Wade will stand. So, this was not an issue with me. I do vote single issue sometimes locally. I''ve said before, your local government has the most direct effect on your life.

Stem cell research. This is one I have a problem with as I "think" it could help advance medical science. But, it''s O.K. in CA. Maybe more states will pass such law.

And, perhaps this sounds nuts, but when I look at those twins, I don''t see the religious right looking back at me.
28.gif

I certainly don''t expect him to push any sort of liberal agenda. But, I don''t see all this swing to the right as having a huge impact. I could be wrong. And, with that I have my right to vote every year in my local elections & four years for President. I can even lobby for impeachment.

But, I like the continuity. I think it is telling that we haven''t been attacked in this country since 9/11. Only time will tell in Iraq. And, more than anything - while I am a social democrat in many ways, I am a VERY fiscal Republican. I do believe lowering taxes helps stimulate the economy. I think we need welfare reform. I think we need to look at Social Security. You know though, I doubt anything drastic (except that the tax cut will be kept in place) will really get done.

Does this explain why this Bush voter isn''t concerned? The pendulum is always swinging right to left. I just don''t think the pendulum will go off the chart. But, I do tend to vote very democratic & liberal in my local politics.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/6/2004 12:38:48 PM
Author: Maria D

Steve, the ''we'' you refer to doesn''t appear to include some Bush supporters, like goldengirl, todd07 and perhaps even Fire&Ice for her stance on abortion. That is what I don''t understand: how people can vote one way or another and then think that the guy they voted in isn''t going to fully pursue the platform he campaigned on. Again, I''m not arguing the correctness or incorrectness of Bush governing as if he has a mandate, just stating the reality -- which is what you did as well:

Maria, no one really supports 100% of a candidates postions. It comes down to which issues are more important multiplied by the likleyhood the candidate can even get results. Personally, I don''t believe GW will change Roe Vs. Wade. Several of the judges up for retirement are already conservatives so replacing with another conservative doesn''t change the make up.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results