shape
carat
color
clarity

3.77 ct Emerald Cut -- Need Help Choosing Leon Mege Setting!

mimi72

Shiny_Rock
I am a very frequent lurker but rare poster. This forum has been invaluable to me in my quest for an "upgrade" which has been going on for 5 yrs now. At long last, I have a dream stone. Long story long....estate auction this March, the low-end of the pre-auction estimate was at the top end of my price range (which kept going up the more I obsessed). I thought about it for a month and decided to bid. You have to be careful because they tack on 18% to your bid...so I had it all mapped out what my top was, but left the paper at work, and got caught up in the moment, and went ONE BID higher than I had planned...and won the sucker! I was weak kneed and woozy! Anyway, I am so glad I got the ring because I would have never have let myself buy something like this except in a moment of irrationality. But once the funds clear the bank, and life goes on, as my husband says money is only as good as the happiness it can bring, and I am happy every single time I look at my finger with this on it! My husband, by the way, is supportive conceptually, but will never know what I paid for this!

My original e-ring was a 0.6 ct RB H&A G VS2, so this is quite a change.

Specs -- GIA certed 3.77 ct, E, SI1, very good cut and polish, good symmetry. Don't have the cert with me but the dimensions are around 10 x 8 mm. One thing to know is that the cut corners are pretty small, so it's a much more rectangular than octagonal stone.
The setting wasn't very nice and I knew I wanted a Leon Mege eventually. But when I had it sized from 7.5 to about 5, and the setting got really ganked in the process. It's wearable, but I'm ready for the Leon!

I wear my ring 24/7, never take it off except to clean it. I don't plan on pairing this with a band. I like the "Gina" setting on his site (set with an 8 ct or so honker) and he advised against it for a variety of reasons. I was worried about the durability of pave since I'm not into having to be delicate with my hands etc. I called Leon and he was very nice, spent about 20 mins on the phone w/ me. He suggested a 5 stone setting with step cut sides (traps and bullets), said they look really nice and "everyone is always very happy with it". I don't know. The one example on this site is Lady LuLu's, which is fabulous, but *for me *maybe the side stones are a little bulky and I'd like the center stone to stand out more.

I LOVE the look of calibrated french cut sides (is this really expensive?) -- Looks great with cushions but haven't seen it done with an EC. Not sure if they would complement each other.

Fran Fine's (sorry tried to embed pic but don't know how) is gorgeous -- this may be my fall back. I like the smoothness of polished platinum though. I'd like something with a bit more interest though than a plain three stone with baguette sides. Also not too high on bullets - maybe it's the airplane wing effect.

No halos -- the stone is already pretty large for my conservative midwest area -- don't want to make it bigger with a halo.
I do love the idea of a split shank but I've only seen that done w/ pave....
Also, the classic Leon Split claw prongs are my ideal, if the corners are big enough for it.

What about skinny baguettes set north south, two on each side, graduated? bezel set or maybe not? I've seen this somewhere with one if not 2 per side, anyone have pics or thoughts on how that would look?

I wonder if I should just send the stone to Leon and see what he recommends when he sees it? He kept saying he has to see it to really decide what setting will look best. Not sure, there have been 1 maybe 2 Leon settings posted on this forum that personally I didn't think looked great (to MY eye..others thought they were fab).

Tell me what I should do!

This is the ring, I will try to post more, but you get the idea. The ones below are a few inspirations.
5483193_34P10SFOR.jpg

Attachments

• Fran Fine.bmp
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,742
  • Lady LuLu EC 5 Stone.bmp
    506.3 KB · Views: 1,739
  • LadyAmythyst.bmp
    204.3 KB · Views: 1,742
  • Love Street French Cut.bmp
    630.1 KB · Views: 1,739

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: 3.77 ct Emerald Cut -- Need Help Choosing Leon Mege Sett

Wow, what a great buy! :love: :appl:

Well, I LOVE Fran Fine's ring and that is exactly what I'd do if I was ever so fortunate to get a 3 ct. EC!!! It is classic and gorgeous and perfectly compliments the EC. French cuts go with faceted stone, in my opinion. I just don't see anything working as well as the baguettes.
I am pretty sure Fran's ring was in the 3 ct. range.

BUT, I do need to say something. Leon rings are not meant to be worn 24/7. In fact, no fine jewelry should be worn 24/7 unless you want to give it extra wear and tear during hours you can't even look at it! You risk hitting it on something in your sleep for one thing. I'd only wear it when you are out. I wouldn't wear it doing house or yard work or while working out. Leon makes beautiful and delicate rings that can be worn and enjoyed, yet they certainly have to be treated gently.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I really love an emerald cut with step cut traps, my personal favorite!

This is an asscher but gives an idea....

here's the ec ring of a lovely lady named bunny, this em is just over 4cts with step cut traps, just gorgeous!

asscher traps.JPG

bunny ec.jpg

bunny ec hand.jpg

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock

Gawd, what a delicious dilemma to have! I like Fran's Fine ring... a lot.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would probably send the stone to Leon and get his opinion on how to set it first. he just seems to have an eye for the perfect setting to compliment stones. I do love Fran's setting a lot though.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock

I would so go for a Fran Fine setting! Love, love the look of that ring!!

Congratulations on your upgrade! It looks stunning!! :love:

Cachette :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm not a fan of Fran Fine's ring. I know, it's one of the best loved on PS, but as a step cut owner I think it looses the impact of the center.

I would send it to Leon and have him suggest back something. Personally I would do something like this...

1240261749_Ruby_and_Diamond_Ring_Main_View30-1-3564.jpg

Po-kellyfish--.jpg

mimi72

Shiny_Rock

Great comments everyone!

Diamondseeker, you are totally right about not wearing it 24/7. I will take it off at night. But I have to wear it at home! Maybe I can take it off when I'm doing the dishes.... ;-)

Mrssalvo, I agree. I think Leon has to see it. I just want an *idea* first about what I want the endpoint to be, otherwise I'm afraid I'll end up getting "advised" into something I'm not totally thrilled with. There will be no more rings or settings after this one!!!!

Gypsy, I LOVE the setting with the red stone. It's just the sort of "different" I was going for. I bet Leon, since he has such an eye for balance and symmetry, might be able to do this really well. I'm saving this one for sure. I wonder how big that center stone is? Again, the bulkiness of the sides may be an issue.

Fran Fine's ring is beyond gorgeous but I'd like to do something a bit unique....

I really appreciate all of your input. :appl:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock

Would it be poor form to ask what your winning bid amount was? :bigsmile:

luckky

Shiny_Rock

OMG...how stunning and HUGE! stone :love: Just WOW... believe it or not and may be only me, I think it already pretty on it own set. Yes, look simple but so pretty and elegant. I do like what is already are. Sorry no vote but just all the compliment how beautiful your ring is. :bigsmile:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Of the rings you've posted, I love LadyLulu's and LoveStreet's rings. I'm not sure how an EC would look on LoveStreet's ring though. It may be beautiful though -- just hard for me to picture.

I also like Mrssalvo's suggestion of sending the stone to LM to see what he'd recommend.

Love Street

Shiny_Rock

What a wonderful dilemma to have! Your emerald is absolutely TDF!! I cannot wait to see it in some amazing Leon creation.

I'm flattered you've included my ring among your inspiration pieces. My French cut setting was definitely more expensive than a halo/pave setting would have been (but I have no idea what a 3 or 5-stone would have cost). Although I haven't found too many step cuts with French cuts, I did come across an asscher with tapered French cuts and of course I'm sure you've seen the asscher on Leon's site with straight french cuts (also posted below).

langfrench.jpg

langfrench2.jpg

r4224 a.jpg

r4224.jpg

Love Street

Shiny_Rock

Also, although I don't own any stepcuts, I had a major lust affair with them when I was having my own setting dilemma. I really wanted step cut sidestones so I amassed a photo collection. (One day I will get a big step cut ring, but for now I will live vicariously through yours and other PSers!) I will post a few of my faves that I think could look really pretty with your big emerald.

I also second the idea of traps with the emerald - different and a little more unusual than baguettes (which are also lovely). I tried on a 4ct emerald with traps at Tiffany once and looooved it. Substantial but super classy and a little bit different, since traps are not such common sidestones and they don't work with every shape. They'd look beautiful on your stone!

r377-01Ww.jpg

aa2.jpg

Singlestone ring - stepped step-cuts.jpg

Attachments

• Decopal.bmp
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,403

mimi72

Shiny_Rock

Lukky -- I also like the simplicity of the current setting. But the side baguettes are not cut well and don't do justice to the center stone. Plus, for whatever reason, the gallery is white gold welded to a platinum shank, and the gallery is noticably yellow compared to the platinum. But, to your point, it's certainly on the table to duplicate a similar setting with tapered bags..basically Fran Fine's ring without the pave on the shank.

Begonia -- I have often wondered what other people shell out for their magnificant pieces on this site. So many times over the years I have thought, "What the heck do they DO for a living??!!". I can share, as long as nobody tells my husband (can you tell that I pay the bills? :D ). We work hard and live an otherwise modest lifestyle in a relatively inexpensive area of the country. I am wierd -- and may well be the only person who wears a 3 ct EC while shopping at the Goodwill. Seriously. Total oxymoron. :shock:

I haven't deluded myself into thinking I got a great deal. I think it was just an OK deal. Might have saved a few thou compared to buying from an online vendor? Maybe not. But ECs are only as good as they look in person, so the appeal of buying locally (at a local auction house, not eBay) was that I saw the stone before bidding. I started off wanting a bigger RB, then revived my love of Asschers, but never really considered ECs b/c I didn't think they could have the same sparkle. Then this stone became available and totally changed my mind. It has tons of fiery flashes, especially in the right light. I really like it. At any rate, price w/ buyer's premium was $41.3k. At the end of the day, I'm glad it's mine. :razz:

mimi72

Shiny_Rock

Ooooh, Ohhhh -- Love Street, I am loving the first one you posted. I didn't find this on Leon's site. I am going back to try again. That is really what I was thinking of. I wonder how big that center stone is. I wonder if it would work? I do sort of like the bezel set sides, but also wonder what it would look like if they were prong set. Hmmmm. WAY too many choices. WAY. Did I mention I have a problem with making decisions?

Love Street

Shiny_Rock

Hi Mimi72! The first pic (the assher with the tapered French cuts) was actually on Lang Antique's site. Not sure if it's still there - it was among the dozens of pix I downloaded last fall when I was searching for settings.
ETA: did you mean the big blue sapphire cushion with the bezel set baguettes? That one is on Leon's in the RHR category. I SOOOO wanted that one for my ring, but it's a 6 ct and would not have scaled down properly at all. I never thought I wanted bezelled sides until I saw that one. I think it's gorgeous and bezelling emphasizes the geometry so beautifully.

I love so many of the other rings that other PSers posted in this thread, btw. Fran Fine's, Lady Lulu's, Bunny's, Gummi Bear's, UCLA Belle's, Erica's asscher.... so many dreamy possibilities.

But I agree that Leon would be able to help most when he actually sees your stone. He will tell you right away whether the proportions of a given design will complement your stone, or whether something else might work better. That's why I completely changed course in my setting search because it was clear (once Leon had my stone in hand) that my step cut ideas weren't the best complement to my roundish/square 1:1 ratio, warm stone. I could have saved myself hours of agony had I just sent it to him right away! (But I did get to ogle a lot of gorgeous step cuts) :) Leon definitely has an eye, but it it's best when he can see the stone.

mimi72

Shiny_Rock

Love Street - Yes, I meant the one with the blue stone. I think you're right, with a 6 ct it works, agree prob would not scale well for a smaller stone. Still, love it.

I totally agree, will send the stone to Leon, probably after the first wk of July since his shop's on vacation that week. It's fun though to hear everyone's ideas and thoughts!!!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for sharing. I've just recently acquired my first EC (1.01 ct :bigsmile: I count the .01 too for some reason). I'm on a learning curve with diamond prices (bit of a moving target these days though). I do always wonder what people are paying, but not for judgemental purposes whatsoever. Just putting a cost to a product. Nice to get a sense of what the prices are in different markets (online, secondary, auction etc). :read:

mimi72

Shiny_Rock

Begonia -- Hey, you are paying for every 0.01 ct, might as well get credit for it!!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock

:lol: For my 0.01 ct's worth, your stone is lovely! Beautiful proportions.

mimi72

Shiny_Rock

Love Street, by the way...I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your ring with the french cut sides. If I went the retail route, after doing all this research, I would have totally gone with an AVC from GOG and put it in this setting. Just spectacular.

Before buying this stone, and before my budget creep, I spoke to Jonathon at GOG about an Octavia asscher, they must be amazing. I guess availability is limited though; I wanted one in the 2-2.5 ct range colorless but he never got back to me about it. After awhile I got distracted (squirrel!) with this EC so didn't pursue it.

Love Street

Shiny_Rock

Aw, thanks so much Mimi! I definitely have been enjoying it and it will definitely be my forever ring.

Your story makes me want to venture onto the secondary auction market though, especially for cool vintage pieces. I actually made my first non-Ebay auction purchase last saturday (via phone bidding) for a dining set and I'm excited.

Good call not sending to Leon until after vacay though. I had sent mine in early October and between the holiday ring rush, Leon's Christmas/New Years break, and needing custom overseas low color French cuts, I didn't see my stone for 4 months! I missed it!

Enjoy the journey and keep us posted. It will be stunning.

mimi72

Shiny_Rock

Love Street -- be careful about auctions, they're addicting! I've been going ever since I tagged along as a kid to the farm auctions my Dad still loves...he'd squirm in the high end auction house environment though! FWIW, do look for vintage pieces with colored stones. Big diamonds usually bring big money (people phone in from all over to bid), but the colored stones often go fairly low and are where the really good deals are, IMO.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results