shape
carat
color
clarity

Keep stone or return? ASET and Idealscope Attached

noobiediamond

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I purchased this stone a few months ago from a local jeweler for $4,900 plus tax. Should've found this sight before the purchase!!!!

It is a EGL 1.21 D color (is an F by appraiser) SI1 (is SI2 by appraiser) round cut. Below are the ASET and Idealscope images of the stone. I sent this stone for a recut analysis to Brian Gavin but the feather on the table would not allow for a recut (too much risk).

Based on the images is the cut a Very Good or just Good? HCA tool says 2.7

1. Would you keep it?
2. I can get a different stone (AGS or GIA) and trade this one in but I have to purchase from same jeweler. Is the updgrade to better cut but lower color worth the extra few thousand? I do have the money if I stretch.

For instance. I can buy a 1.305 AGS0 H SI2 (eyeclean) for $8,300.

Sarin Pre recut.jpg

Pre ASET.jpg

Pre IDS.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tough one.

Do you like how the stone looks in person? Have you compared it in person to an AGS0 or GIA Ex cut stone? My concern is less about the color and clarity and more about the cut, for you. Since you have it in person, you need to compare to other options and see what you want to do.

ETA: for a little perspective, the price you paid for this diamond is SOOOOOOO far below what a well cut stone of similar specs with a good cert should cost, that paying more is really just paying the right amount, not a true cost of loss. If that helps.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had something similar happen with our first stone. The appraisal came back three color grades lower and one clarity level lower on an EGL stone. We also had the option to upgrade but not return with the same jeweler. We decided to bite the bullet and pay to upgrade to have a stone we felt confident in. We moved to an AGS stone. I am sure we paid a little more than we would have had to had we found this site prior to our first purchase... but we learned and moved on.... I would recommend an upgrade if you can find a stone that fits your needs with the jeweler. I would absolutely (remember I am just above a rough rock here...) strongly urge an AGS or GIA stone.

noobiediamond

Rough_Rock
It certain lighting the stone does look great. Other lighting not so much. I do see leakage in the table a little bit and I am assuming that is what the Idealscope shows.

My AGS0 earrings I bought from James Allen do look much better when judging the combination of lighting.

I am struggling to know if the few thousand dollars is really worth it. Diamond is forever right? :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont think I would be happy with that stone...since you wanted to have it recut and are here asking then I think
you should send it back and go lower color AGS/GIA stone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should look for a smaller better cut stone to meet the budget.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'd return it and get an ideal cut stone of lower color (or smaller size).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results