shape
carat
color
clarity

Picture of Steplike Fracture

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the attached picture which I found on the internet are the two sloping lines at the top left part of the steplike fracture also? Can anyone tell? The first line extends towards the edge of the stone, the second does not.

steplike fracture in diamond.jpeg

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why would a stone be cut and polished with this in it? Ther is also something at the top right of the stone maybe just a reflection. Could someone with the facility to draw on the picture mark out the actual steplike fracture?

Anyway it is an interesting picture.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
No conchoidal features, so it''s definately a feather of some sort, not a chip. To me it looks like a feather that probably ocurred during cutting, that while on the polishing wheel, it must have hit two small feathers and broke off a large chunk... Could be a cleavage, as they tend to come in linear breaks... maybe a combination of cleavage pane and fracture below?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Nicrez.

This is the link where I found the photo:

http://www.birdamlasu.com/isitdiamondormoissanite.htm

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Funny, because diamonds CAN exhibit concoidal fractures as well, so I wouldn''t think that was a determining factor of Moissantite. Granted it''s not as concoidal as THAT example (Moissanite) but usually steplike fractures happen at weak planes, and concoidal happen all over BESIDEs the weak planes, if I am not mistaken...?

Also, Mohs can be used to detect, as well...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif
Nicrez, you keep the technicals comming girl !

You must be enjoying GIA''s classes...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pyramid we must all take up a collection so you can go off and do the FGA gemmo course - you would prefer to look down a microscope than at a computer screen.

What can we see on this image - we do not even know if this internal or external????

Perhaps you can get a good macro attachemnt (or just take the pink reflector out of an ideal-scope) and go around taking digi photos of the diamonds in your town? (When they run you out of town - visit the towns near-by :) )

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nicrez I wish you lots of luck and enjoyment on your Diamond Course
35.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/4/2004 1:42:46 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Pyramid we must all take up a collection so you can go off and do the FGA gemmo course - you would prefer to look down a microscope than at a computer screen.

What can we see on this image - we do not even know if this internal or external????

Perhaps you can get a good macro attachemnt (or just take the pink reflector out of an ideal-scope) and go around taking digi photos of the diamonds in your town? (When they run you out of town - visit the towns near-by :) )

That would be great fun
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results