shape
carat
color
clarity

WOMEN! need your opinions, please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

deadbigtoe

Rough_Rock
Hello im shopping for an engagement ring for my g/f and was wondering which diamond you''ll would prefer on your finger. i am having the diamond set on a platinum cathedral like setting.

Round.
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-695991.htm#

Princess
http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-816497.htm

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
oh nuts! I have to say neither...sorry!
7.gif
... I''m not a stickler for numbers...the princess looks ok, but it only has good symmetry and will look a lot smaller than the round which is in your budget. We also have no crown or pavillion info on it so I can''t make an informed decision...

I was going to say the round...but I would avoid strong blue flourescence in an E color!

longtimelurker

Shiny_Rock
Are you asking, would I prefer a 1 carat diamond vs. .9 ct? Or would I prefer one that looks bigger (the .9)? Or are you asking about the color?

Or is it between two shapes?

It''s not my decision...it''s what SHE would prefer. I prefer (1) round ideal cut (2) the whiter the better (and the strong blue flour could really be cool) and (3) as a bonus, it will visually prefer bigger to get the .9 round vs. the 1.0 princess.

I know nothing about princess cuts to be able to comment if that one is good, bad or indifferent.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
The round that you chose will look so much bigger than the princess...the princess is 5.4X5.39 and the round is 6.17X6.20.

The e stone has strong blue flourescence....but that''s a white flash expert selection so they will be able to tell you if the stone looks oily or milky or electric blue LOL (j/k)...

There is a .90 F Si1 on diamondbrokersoffl that I like better. But it''s about 250 more than this round
7.gif

(or I say call Mark T and tell him what you''re looking for. The man is amazing!)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Forget about specs for a minute...
Does she like rounds or princess cuts? Most ladies usually have a preference for one or the other. Perhaps you can talk to a close girlfriend of hers to get some insight? Or perhaps her sister or mother? Have you gone "window shopping" with her? What about pictures?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ha! Good catch headlight...he writes what he prefers...but not what she prefers!!! Don''t piss her off ALREADY!!!
9.gif
LOL j/k

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point, Headlight. The e-ring is what she'll be wearing and looking at for many years down the road so it's best to see which shapes she prefers rather than what you'd prefer. What if she prefers neither i.e. another shape? I second Headlight's suggestion on asking a close relative or friend to find out what she likes.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
The round. I abhor princesses--I''d rather wear no ring at all than a princess--and I love strong blue fluorescence. Plus, the round will look much bigger.

But who cares what I like? It''s a question of what she likes.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t much like princess cuts either. I''d take lovely royal asscher or an emerald cut though.

I spoke to a young woman in the bank recently and she a had a princess cut e-ring. She was very proud of it and told me that she specifically chose a princess because she wanted to have something different to all her friends who had rounds.

Lesson? You really need to find out what your g/f''s preference is first.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
It doesn''t matter, unfortunately, what we would choose. It''s vitally important, though, to figure out what she likes.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
oh glitterata...that''s rrroughhhh lol

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Between a round and a princess, I''d prefer a round. (And I love square shapes - the emerald and asschers are my favourite.) BUT - what matters is what your girlfriend likes.

Leaving aside the specs of the two diamonds.

What''s important is that you pick something she likes. If you don''t know what she likes (and don''t have her friend or sister or mother or somebody "on side" to whisper suggestions in your ear) then ask her outright, or try to figure it out some other way. Listen to her when you walk through the mall past jewellery stores and take note of what she focuses on. Do you have a friend getting engaged soon? Can you pretend you''re getting a "girl''s perspective" to pass on to him and secretly find out what she likes?

If you don''t want to ask her, and can''t find out sneakily, and want it to be a surprise, then my advice is buy either a pretty or really fun, tacky CZ ring for like $20 to propose with then let her have input in the ring. That way the proposal is a surprise, which is lovely, but you''ll be sure that you''re giving her a ring she''ll adore.

If you''re dead-set on proposing WITH the ring, I would go for a round (especially if it looks bigger than the princess) because it''s a classic and I don''t know of anyone yet who hates them! It''s timeless, and while other shapes are often a love ''em or hate ''em deal, I think a round is always appreciated.

Good luck and be sure to post what you come up with!

i_mkittycat

Rough_Rock
Well, I''ve always liked the brilliant cut to begin with. Because it is a classic. But I have a princess cut engagment ring and a princess cut bazel wedding band. My husband has a matching princess cut bazel wedding band. The reason, why I have this princess cut ring was because my husband didn''t know what I like back then. I don''t have any sisters or aunts to tell him and we got married when I was 21 so I didn''t know much about diamonds.....the 4 C''s or even what kinda cut they had out there back then. But now I love my princess cut because I asked him why he picked this cut instead of the pear or the brilliant or even the marquise (which is also popular) and he told me that because I''m his princess and I will always be his princess so that''s why when they told him there''s a princess cut, he bought it because of that. And why do I like my ring? Because it was so sweet of him to consider the reason behind it and all my friends have a brilliant cut. ALL OF THEM!!!

My sister in law is getting marry and my future brother in law asked me the same question if he should get her a Asscher cut or the brilliant. I know my sister in law will like the Asscher cut better but my future brother in law doesn''t like the fact that the diamond that represent his love has the word ASS in it. It''s kinda weird but hey, it''s his opinion. So he bought her the classic round and she still loved it!!! Even though I still like the brilliant cut, I love my princess cut engagment ring. Hope this helped.

bluepetal

Rough_Rock
When my fiance proposed he wanted it to be a total surprise. He did not know what I wanted so he chose a princess, but was clear that I could take it back for whatever I wanted. I chose a bigger round stone. I was happy that my engagement was a surprise, and in reality I could pick the ring that I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results