shape
carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

I've been off PS for a while (so sick I haven't even really been checking e-mail much plus I'm trying to keep from spending money on stones, ha ha), but I checked in today and just wanted to say a couple of things.

1) Congrats, Freke! Hope things go well for you.
2) Man, I want a Barry stone like all of the pretties posted here. Sigh.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wooo, my barry supernova came. :)

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

packrat|1306880648|2934786 said:
I hope you feel better Lavatea!

This is coming from Peter..#268 the yellow one.

http://torraca.net/gems/gems.php?spec=Gar

GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i LOVE that stone !!!!!
I can't wait to see it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

MakingTheGrade|1306889215|2934934 said:
Wooo, my barry supernova came. :)

Ooooooo...... Let us see !!!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What do you guys think? Yay or nay?

TLminttourmhotpinkspinels.JPG

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

No doubt about it:

Yay!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL - your 3 stone mint tourmaline and spinel combo looks very pretty!

my new BB purply tourmaline...

purple-T-7037N.JPG

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

TL|1306897853|2935076 said:

For me, it's a definite yay for the colors, but nay for the proportions. I prefer a larger center stone and smaller sidestones. Up to you though!

faegrace

Shiny_Rock

ZB ~

Wow!!! Lucky you :love: :love: :love: That may be my favorite Barry pic ever. What are your plans?

~ faegrace

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock

packrat|1306880648|2934786 said:
I hope you feel better Lavatea!

This is coming from Peter..#268 the yellow one.

http://torraca.net/gems/gems.php?spec=Gar

Thank you. Morning sickness this time around is killer, but I'll be out of first trimester soon, so hopefully I'll see an improvement.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

TL, those colors look really neat together but I kind of agree that the trillions may be bigger than ideal. You seem to like big pieces though 8)

So, I had a great day today. I have a 5.5mm rb merelani garnet coming from Yuma, AZ to go with my dainty rose gold LOGR setting. I wanted more of a grossular light green color and this is more of a blue mint, but I couldn't pass up the chance to have something so nice. I've been worrying about who will set it because I don't have a personal jeweler and haven't found anyplace here with a bench person on-site, works in colored stones, does custom work, etc. Then it came to me to go visit the shop where my dh had our rings appraised. I had never been there before and it's tucked away, no signage, no window displays, no advertising, word of mouth customers only, a real secret hideaway. Turns out it's a family owned business with 3 generations in the store. They do custom pieces and also refurbish and sell estate jewelry. All the work I saw was beautiful.

When I went in I was introduced to the whole family including the dogs and taken all through the work areas. I talked to everyone and was there for much longer than I intended to be. I was stripped of all my jewelry so it could be cleaned. They insisted on unlocking all the cases for me, the bench jeweler showed me what she was working on and started explaining all kinds of stuff to me as we talked, showing me what her different tools are for and how she uses them. She works in all metals from platinum and 22k gold to silver, brass and copper. She said soft stones are no problem and she'd love to set my garnet when it comes. How cool is that? I found an estate ring I like and they let me try to photograph it. When that didn't work, they put it in their photo box and did it for me!

So, here is my garnet in the rough and then cut. Barry said it was absolutely clean and one of the brightest stones he's ever cut. He also said the photo wasn't the best because it's been very dusty and he did it in a hurry. I'm anxiously tracking it and hoping I will love it.

My%20minty%20rough%20from%20Barry.jpg

My%20minty%20garnet%20from%20Barry.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

That's absolutely gorgeous, bluebirrrd! May I ask how much you paid for it? Just want to get an idea of what a nicely colored mint garnet from Barry would cost if, say, someone like me wanted one... :naughty:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

TL - what size is the center stone? Sorry if I missed it on another thread. I like the color combo and I like the balance of the stones as long as the three together don't make the ring too large (that would have to be your call). If a center stone is quite large, then I like smaller side stones, but if not, then I like what I see because it is a change from the norm. (which I have obviously been going for lately :-o )

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

Thank you, jstarfireb :) When I started looking, I was a little discouraged by the high prices. I've heard it said before that BB is very fair and reasonable with his pricing. My first experience with him was wonderful and I absolutely agree.The newsletter says there will be some mint garnets posted to the site in June. I think they're the sister stones to mine and I can't wait to see them. I'm sure someone here will do something really fun and amazing with them.

I'm starting to think estate and second hand jewelry is where it's at. I was impressed with some of the pricing on what I saw today. Please forgive me for posting this in CS, but it was under $300 and I liked it a lot. It's 14k with 18 pts of diamonds. I didn't ask for all its other details. It's not fancy, but even simple things become expensive when you have them hand made. The design does have colored stone potential though, doesn't it?

DSCN1956.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

I like that ring! It's very delicate and unusual.

I'm anxiously awaiting the garnets Barry announced as well, but I'm never fast enough to get anything from his Wednesday drops. Oh, well, I already have a mint and a Mali, so I guess it's not a big loss, but I'd give up a lot to get one of Barry's!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

colorluvr|1306980062|2935865 said:

TL - what size is the center stone? Sorry if I missed it on another thread. I like the color combo and I like the balance of the stones as long as the three together don't make the ring too large (that would have to be your call). If a center stone is quite large, then I like smaller side stones, but if not, then I like what I see because it is a change from the norm. (which I have obviously been going for lately :-o )

Wow,everyone has such nice new things !!! :bigsmile:

The center stone is probably 6.5mm, and the sides are 5.2mm.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium

faegrace|1306903613|2935164 said:
ZB ~

Wow!!! Lucky you :love: :love: :love: That may be my favorite Barry pic ever. What are your plans?

~ faegrace

faegrace,

Thanks abunch! :bigsmile: I absolutely love the color of this tourmaline! I Had to grab it!:)) I don't have any halos yet. I think I want to see it surrounded in 18k wg single halo, with no basket, and micro pave's on the shank. Yummy!! :lickout:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

One more combination to ponder. I'm so undecided.

Lavatea,
Congrats on your baby. At least you have the best kind of sickness. ;))

TLsapphireandchyrsoberyls.JPG

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock

TL|1306990347|2936021 said:
One more combination to ponder. I'm so undecided.

Lavatea,
Congrats on your baby. At least you have the best kind of sickness. ;))

Thanks, TL.

I like this combo better than the other. But then again I'm partial to pears, ha ha ha.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

TL|1306986861|2935993 said:
colorluvr|1306980062|2935865 said:

Wow,everyone has such nice new things !!! :bigsmile:

The center stone is probably 6.5mm, and the sides are 5.2mm.

I think they would look nice in a three stone. It wouldn't be my first choice if I only had one ring to wear everyday (I might get tired of the color combo), but in your case you have so many, so I think this one would be a nice addition to your collection.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

Received the dragonfly necklace. It's amazing. Extremely life like and man is it heavy. It's 3.5 inches wide by about 2.75 inches long, it's also about 6mm thick and solid! I love the way the diamond intensifies on the metal. That's my .51ct pear sitting between the wings. 6x4mm ish. I'm probably going to have them hollow out the body a bit when they gypsy set the diamond.

0091.png

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

Your dragonfly necklace is very beautiful and realistic, davi. They are really very magical little fierce creatures. The diamond suits it well.

I wasn't expecting it to, but my Merelani mint garnet arrived in the mail today and I'm speechless by its beauty and my sheer luck in actually owning something so special. I don't know when I'll get around to tackling my own photos. The color is a little greener than in Barry's photo, which is exactly what I was dreaming of. I've been carrying it all over the house with me :))

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sneak peak...

tourmaline ring2.jpg

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock

I just saw that on their website. Looks nice, Freke! May I ask...where did you get your carre cut diamonds? I'd really like some for my own projects but don't know where to source them.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

lavatea|1307076158|2936722 said:
I just saw that on their website. Looks nice, Freke! May I ask...where did you get your carre cut diamonds? I'd really like some for my own projects but don't know where to source them.
They are from a vintage ring I found on...a site that must not be named...regular people sell stuff there bulletin board style. 7 of the diamonds in the band were carres, the other was a princess. I bought it for the carres, obviously! I just got lucky, and I don't know where to source them either! Sorry I'm no help!

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock

FrekeChild|1307077326|2936726 said:
lavatea|1307076158|2936722 said:
They are from a vintage ring I found on...a site that must not be named...regular people sell stuff there bulletin board style. 7 of the diamonds in the band were carres, the other was a princess. I bought it for the carres, obviously! I just got lucky, and I don't know where to source them either! Sorry I'm no help!

Ah, yes. I know the site. Well...I guess I need to save up my pennies (impossible it seems) and really take a look at all of the rings available there. I'm trolling ebay semi-mounts as we speak. But I think even that is beyond my current budget. (Why, oh why, does it always come back to the evil "b" word??)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Freke, love the Dan M ring!

Sighhhhh...add me to the list of people having trouble with Etsy pieces. I haven't mentioned this to Sally yet, but the big black dot on the ring in her pictures was not in fact a speck of dust (which she said it was and promised it would be cleaned off before sending it out), but a hole in the ring where the silver meets the gold. I've been wearing the ring and just living with it, but it really bothers me. My eye goes straight to it. I'd hate to send the ring all the way back to Sally and then have to wait for her to repair it and send it back. Shipping alone takes a full 2 weeks! I might have a local person look at it (or maybe someone like Michael E, although that would require sending it out).

Here's a pic of the ring as a reminder, complete with the tiny black hole. It's small but quite noticeable, as the black contrasts strongly against the silver and gold:
il_fullxfull.244715057.jpg

Sparkly_Not_Gaudy

Rough_Rock

jstarfireb|1305675518|2924350 said:
Just paid for this, now awaiting its arrival from Thailand:
Who made that? Would you mind posting their contact info?
ETA: Ah, and now I see you are having issues with the vendor. Hope that you get it resolved quickly!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results