shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I buy this Diamond???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

set2374

Rough_Rock

I have a deposit on a diamond:

GIA Cert
1.75 Carat
7.92-7.95 X 4.67 MM
58.9 Depth %
58 Table %
SI2 (eye clean)
G
Very Good Polish
Excellent Symmetry
No Flouro
No Culet
Negotiated price $8,960 (20% back)

I found it in one of the booths on 47th street. I looked at it under various lighting conditions and was happy with how it "performed", at least in my lay opinion. Considering how hard it is to find really nice SI2''s, finding one that is truly eye clean is a challenge. This one is 100% eyeclean face up. In fact, even with a loop, you''re lucky to find a pinpoint. There is an indented natural midway down the pavillion, which if you study it carefully, you can see it with the naked eye. The GIA cert shows a clean diamond, with just the natural and feather (crossing the natural). The jeweller believes that the stone would be a VS2 or better, but for the natural and that the natural has no effect on the diamonds light performance characteristics. Once set, I don''t think it will be visible at all. It really sparkeled a lot.

At the time I was looking, I wanted a stone that casted a larger appearance than it actually was and this stone seemed to do the trick. It looks bigger than its carat weight would indicate. I had it side by side with a 2 carat and had a hard time distinguishing them face up. I gave a deposit to hold the diamond and ordered a setting. I have been reading more though and I am wondering if maybe my need for the appearance of "size" is misguided and perhaps I should be considering something closer to the 56/61 H&A type cut. I don''t want to pay for a higher clarity grade and finding a nice H&A diamond, GSI2 that is truly eye clean isn''t too easy. Any thoughts, opinions??? Should I buy it or look for something different??? Any concerns I am overlooking???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results