shape
carat
color
clarity

Mother's Day Gift Help

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, guys. I was hoping for some gift help. Mother’s day is coming and we want to get something nice for MIL. As background, she takes care of our almost 9 month old son every day. She spends at least 50 hours per week at our house caring for him. She’s also on occasion left us dinner, cleaned my oven (!), folded laundry, weeded the lawn – you name it. She says it is like a vacation for her but she must be exhausted!

Anyway, I think Mother’s Day is a great opportunity to do something nice for her. I was thinking something sentimental but I’m open to other ideas as well. For her birthday in August, we are going to give her an album of DS’s first year so an album is out. Cost? We’re open on that too. I would say not more than $300 though.

Here are some things that MIL likes (but probably doesn’t have time for her since she spends all of her time with DS!):

Gardening, reading, ancestry/genealogy, running, classical music

Suggest away! Thank you!

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Would she like a Kindle?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Or perhaps you could go to her favourite gandening shop and buy a bunch of supplies and have them all in a nice pot, wrapped with a bow?

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help - we don't have many opportunities to do nice things for her so the pressure is on!

Lanie, is the kindle easy to operate? MIL isn't very good at adapting to new technology. This might be good though if it's not too hard for her to work.

Dreamer, you know - that's a cute idea. Maybe I could get her a nice bush or small tree to plant? Or better yet, we could plant it as a family? They have about an acre and it's beautifully landscaped so I'm sure adding a nice butterfly bush or something would be good.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
The kindle is very easy and you could pre-load her favorite authors on it for her. I think it's a great idea.

Things that my MIL would like would be taking them with us and the kids on a short trip. Zoo, museum, theme park, etc.

I'm always a fan of a big brunch for Mother's Day too. Last year after brunch, my mom and the kids planted seeds together. It was sweet and then they had watermelons for summer and pumpkins for Halloween that they grew together.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SS, you make a good point. What MIL really loves is to spend time with us and the kids. A brunch would be great in addition to a nice gift. I'm going to look into this kindle. I especially like that you can adjust the size of the font so she won't need her bifocals all the time.

pufeifei

Rough_Rock
What gifts should I pick for my mom on the coming Mother’s Day? I thought for a long time from necklace to cooking books, but it seems all of those are not so special. Then suddenly one idea occurred to me: why I don’t spend a time enjoying Disney cartoons with mom? My mom is a super fan for Disney cartoons.Mom has a Blu-ray/DVD player connected to a 40 inch widescreen HDTV. She watches her movies directly from the discs via the player and TV. Mom told me many of her favorite discs have had heavy scratches after long time repeatedly insert and eject the discs, which makes her quite heart-breaking.

To settle mom’s problem I decide to bring her also some material gifts: a BD/DVD backup software called Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper and two hardwares WD hard drive and WDTV media player. I have been using these three products for quite a long time as my media solutions. Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper can convert BD or DVD flawlessly to digital movie copies which then can be stored on my WD hard drive. I connect then the WD drive to WDTV media player connected to my TV. Bingo! You don’t have to bother with so many discs and be afraid of the scratches anymore. All your movie collections now are at hand in the little hard drive.

I think Mom shall be more happy if she knows I can also rescue her favorite Disney discs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results