shape
carat
color
clarity

The CS Setting Help Thread

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Rae~|1301471938|2883285 said:
I could really use some help, folks! I'm struggling with some setting decisions so I thought I'd post here to garner opinions.

I have a few loose stones, none large or spectacular, but I haven't set any of them yet. Funds are a little tight at the moment - and will be for the next year or so - as we are planning a wedding and saving to buy a house.

But I really would like to have at least ONE ring that I can wear. So I am looking at the stones I already have and trying to work out if there is anything worth setting amongst them.

I have a light blue sapphire, bought quite a few years ago, before I really knew anything about CS. I know I overpaid for it. :oops: I have no idea on treatments so I can only assume heat at best, possibly other treatments as well. But it's the largest stone I have, and at least it's fairly hardy for regular wear so I figure it has to be a top contender to be reset (it is currently in a generic pendant setting).

Here is the stone. I know it has some grey in it. I don't mind the lighter sapphires, but I do wish I'd had a better handle on colour when I bought it (not saying I do now, even!).

I'd love to hear ideas for a setting if I were to go ahead with using this stone. It pretty much has to be a white metal; I would wear yellow gold if it were an heirloom piece that I couldn't change, but I really, REALLY prefer white metals.

Oh, and feel free to tell me you don't think it's worth resetting. And I really do mean that, because I am still trying to develop my colour/quality judgement, so any comments - as long as they are honest - are welcome. Seriously.

Personally I would save my setting money for one of the unset stones that you know more about. The pendant is pretty as is, but I have a thing for untreated gems, so I'd keep my money for setting those and wear the pendant for what it is.

That's just me, and you may have other considerations. For instance, are you more likely to wear a blue stone? If so, and you just aren't getting the wear out of the pendant, re-set it.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I am getting ready to set this:

IMG_0304.jpg

And another, equally bad photo:

IMG_0304_0.jpg

It's a 1.68ct unheated pink sapphire with an almost neon pink color--which you'll have to take my word on, since the photos really don't show that. I'm sure there's a secret archive in the Colored Stone forum where my photos are featured under the heading Don't Do This.

I was planning of setting it in 18k yellow gold. What do you think, prongs or bezeled?

I'm also planning on setting this, but it's only a slightly colored stone :loopy: :

Pic1__s.jpg

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Aoife ~

No, the pictures are lovely. Heck, I cannot take a picture of my spess to save my life! And I seriously need setting help too.

It's a yummy color sapphire. What kind of bezel are you considering? I know you're using YG....

~ faegrace

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
faegrace|1301610227|2884619 said:
Aoife ~

No, the pictures are lovely. Heck, I cannot take a picture of my spess to save my life! And I seriously need setting help too.

It's a yummy color sapphire. What kind of bezel are you considering? I know you're using YG....

~ faegrace

I honestly don't know. I'm thinking about taking both stones to Van Craeynest, because I really love the look of their settings, but I just can't decide what the sapphire needs to bring out its best. It's a small stone (a hair under 7mm) and I don't want it to get lost in the setting or on my finger.

Spessartites are so hard to photograph!

And are you going to be setting your beautiful new aquamarine? :naughty:

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Aoife ~

I will have to check out Van Craeynest settings. I am completely with you about setting a smaller stone. The spess I have is 7mm and I am at a total loss. About the aqua, YES I am setting it. I will likely keep it simple, letting the gem stand on its own. Thanks for asking; I appreciate it! :D

~ faegrace

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Faegrace, that aquamarine can definitely stand on its own! I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Here's one of the Van Craeynest settings I keep coming back to:

VC457twoTone.jpg

This was posted by PS'er Angeline and is a photo she took of some samples during one of her VC visits. She posted it in a thread on SMTB, and I hope she doesn't mind me reposting it here.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Aoife ~

What a lovely setting, so delicate and truly lets the center stone shine. I can see why you're drawn to it and the pink might just be the ticket to bring it to life, so to speak. I also am drawn to the floral sculptural element of it. I still have to Google Van Craeynest today. :)

~ faegrace

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1301664673|2885023 said:
Faegrace, that aquamarine can definitely stand on its own! I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

VC457twoTone.jpg

This was posted by PS'er Angeline and is a photo she took of some samples during one of her VC visits. She posted it in a thread on SMTB, and I hope she doesn't mind me reposting it here.

Are you sure you want to do Van Craeynest? I am appalled at how they handled a situation here with a fellow PS'er. I don't know if you know the specifics, but if not,

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...stone-advice-from-setters-and-cutters.150162/

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, TL, thank you for the input and for the link. I was aware of Lovinggems very upsetting experience, and had posted on at least one of the threads that discussed the events and the final resolution. At the time my husband and I had been on the verge of taking the pink sapphire to San Francisco on one of our periodic trips there, to discuss setting it with Van Craeynest. You can imagine how closely I followed the two threads started by LG on this forum and RT. It did indeed make us reconsider. I debated posting now, and am open to some discussion and hearing what other PS'ers thoughts are. Here are some of the things my DH and I have been considering:

No one in this country does what Van Craeynest does. We certainly looked. Their workmanship, and the techniques they use are absolutely unique. There is no substitute. If someone wants to avoid Leon Mege's blow-hot-blow-cold moodiness/rudeness, there are other artisans who approach, or in some cases exceed, his workmanship. Only VC does the kind of chasing, piercing, die-struck combo that results in their signature look. If you want that look, there is only one choice.

Every time you send or take a stone to be set, even a diamond, there is an inherent risk. What happened to Lovinggems' demantoid was horrible, and I am not downplaying that at all. However, I've sent or taken stones to several of the highly-regarded vendors whose names appear often either here on CS or in RT or SMTB, and in a couple of cases those stones came back with abrasions. Short of repolishing, there's not much you can do. I believe that the setters took reasonable care, but I understood the risk when I sent them the stones. I know my experience in that is not the only one, although I can't, offhand, post links. I can also say that concern about the competency of setters to handle a moderately fragile stone is why my 3+ct Tsavorite is still sitting in a safe deposit box. So far, I haven't found anyone I really trust. If the stones I was planning on setting with VC were anything other than a diamond and a sapphire, I can assure you that I would be very, very hesitant to have VC handle them.

When my DH and I were doing our re-evaluation, I searched out every thread I could find on Pricescope and elsewhere concerning Van Craeynest. The reviews and or commentary were overwhelmingly positive. That in no way mitigates what happened to Lovinggems, but it does provide another perspective. I have occasionally had negative or at best neutral experiences with vendors everyone else on PS adores and recommends. I've also had really wonderful interactions with vendors that one or more respected PS'er has had dreadful interactions with. I've seen shoddy workmanship posted here for vendors that I personally have only had impeccable workmanship from--and vice versa. Going back to Leon Mege, there is a pervasive pattern in the periodic reports of negative interactions with him. It is not the matter of an isolated incident or two with Leon Mege. With Van Craeynest, aside from Lovinggems' awful experience, there was one negative comment on Yelp or Citysearch that seemed to mostly revolve around Larry Van Craeynest's appalling lack of phone skills, and Rubycharm's problems with her ruby, which, at least as far as the Pricescope record indicates, was resolved when VC remade her ring. If there's more to that story, it wasn't searchable by me. To balance those negatives, there is a plethora of very happy, very satisfied customers, with beautiful and unique jewelry.

This is long, and I apologize for that. As I said, I debated whether to even post about our plans, but ultimately decided that one of the most valuable things about Pricescope is the open discussions. I'm bracing myself, so have at it! :shock:

I am, at heart, a realist. There is no such thing as the perfect vendor. I'm not perfect myself, I have no idea why anyone else would be, so I think it is unrealistic for me or anyone else to expect all feedback to be positive, and for there never to be any problems in a transaction that is related to jewelry.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Aoife, I had thought about posting something very similar to what you have said above. You obviously have done your research and considered all the risks and benefits of working with VC. I have been there and visited the workshop, perused their catalog, own a secondhand VC ring, admired their work, and they are truly one of a kind. I would not hesitate to work with them on an important project if I had the funds. I was surprised and disappointed to read about what happened with Lovinggems, as well, but I do think that the positive feedback greatly outweighs the negative. As long as you are going in with your eyes open and knowing the risks. You may want to check into Jewelers Mutual, as I believe they will insure loose stones that are going to be set.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Selkie|1301687116|2885397 said:
Aoife, I had thought about posting something very similar to what you have said above. You obviously have done your research and considered all the risks and benefits of working with VC. I have been there and visited the workshop, perused their catalog, own a secondhand VC ring, admired their work, and they are truly one of a kind. I would not hesitate to work with them on an important project if I had the funds. I was surprised and disappointed to read about what happened with Lovinggems, as well, but I do think that the positive feedback greatly outweighs the negative. As long as you are going in with your eyes open and knowing the risks. You may want to check into Jewelers Mutual, as I believe they will insure loose stones that are going to be set.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, Selkie. I've admired your beautiful Tsavorite in your VC setting, and it's reassuring to hear that you were impressed when you visited the VC workshop.

I'm in contact with Jeweler's Mutual, so thanks for that suggestion, too!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1301689033|2885416 said:
Aofie,
Well, at least I'm glad you're aware of it. Did you ever see green lake jewelers work?

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/

I have looked quite a bit at Greenlake. In fact, for a while we considered them for this project, but ultimately, Greenlake just has a different aesthetic than Van Craeynest. And goodness knows they aren't any more economical than VC!

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I love VC rings.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
lavatea|1301691757|2885458 said:
I love VC rings.

Me, too! ;))

Any in particular?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
As long as we're getting help, here's a question;

I have a bunch of old 14k rings, and I don't see why I can't "recycle" them. With the price of gold being so high, there seems no point to me to pay to have a yellow gold band made when I have a bunch of them. I would think a jeweler could cut out the old head ( a couple are plain solitaires) and solder on a new head, or a series of new heads (for a 3 stone ring), using my old bands (are they shanks?). Is this a big deal? DanielM said he is not interested in doing this, and I respect his decision, but I can't figure out what the issue would be. . .

Part of it is saving money, but part of it is just looking at all these silly old gold rings, that I haven't worn for over 20 years. It makes me feel guilty to waste them! I don't want to sell them for scrap, since I'll get so little for them.

Does anyone know a setter/jeweler that would be willing to do this type of work?

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Aoife|1301748682|2885836 said:
lavatea|1301691757|2885458 said:
I love VC rings.

Me, too! ;))

Any in particular?

No, I just really love the style of the rings and it is so interesting how they are fabricated. I was looking for stacking bands last year to suggest to my husband as a possible anniversary present (didn't get one, boo) and ran across threads on VC rings. I fell in love, but I couldn't afford one then (or now) anyway.

I have them filed away as a "someday" thing. Student loans come first, sadly.

Anyway, you should totally go for it, IMO.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1301691330|2885454 said:
tourmaline_lover|1301689033|2885416 said:
Aofie,
Well, at least I'm glad you're aware of it. Did you ever see green lake jewelers work?

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/

I have looked quite a bit at Greenlake. In fact, for a while we considered them for this project, but ultimately, Greenlake just has a different aesthetic than Van Craeynest. And goodness knows they aren't any more economical than VC!

No they aren't. My favorite setting by them is 4K...in 14K gold!!! :shock: (my husband hated it so I guess that won't be a worry :lol: )

-A

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
iLander, have you checked with Michael E.? I have no idea if he does stuff like that, but if he didn't I'm sure he'd be willing to explain why not.

Lavatea, student loans came first for us, too, years ago. I'm really looking forward to visiting the workshop and seeing some of the process firsthand.

Arcadian, I know, that kind of pricing is pretty jaw-dropping for 14k. They do beautiful work, though.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I made the mistake of buying a pendant semi mount before the stone and I am having a heck of a time purchasing a stone to go in it. Lesson learned! Ok, so this is the semi-mount I bought some time back (not at that price though thank goodness!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pear-7x11mm-Diamond-14k-White-Gold-Pendant-Semi-Mount-/260760230801?pt=US_Fine_Necklaces_Pendants&hash=item3cb6855b91

I think want to set it either with a tanzanite or an apatite, but this is not set in stone (ha!). I purchased an apatite through ajs gems which I ended up returning. It was much darker than I liked and it seemed to be a little too big for the setting. If I had liked the stone I would have taken it to a jeweler to see if it was doable, but I didn't love the stone to begin with.

What do you think about this stone if I go for an apatite? Do you think it will fit?

http://www.ajsgem.com/gemstones/apatite/apatite-2.02-carats.html-0

Or should I go for a tanzanite? Tanzanite is December's new birthstone, my birthday's in Dec, so that's appealing to me. I am just not running into a lot of luck finding a tanzanite that shape and size-- I am ok with the less expensive, less saturated tanzanites, I had my eye on one on ebay that would have worked, but I just saw that it was sold :(sad

Any ideas or suggestions?? I am impatient-- I want to complete a project so I have something to wear!! I am open to other pears too!!

Thanks!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
ErinL...I have heard that LOGR settings can run "tight" so I would look at stones with slightly sub 7x11 dimensions.

I am trying to decide what to do with my green-blue tourm. I have a setting I scored for $57 which will work but I think it will also have more presence in this designer halo that is highly discounted though still several hundred. I know the paint mock up is ghetto. Thoughts?

For my trilliant spessartite I'm now thinking of a trillium flower inspired setting thanks to SimplySplendid and am working with Patrick Irla with the pendant below as a starting point for ideas.

trillumpendant.jpg

spess2 004.JPG

tourmhalo.jpg

110405 001.JPG

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to play! First off, Kelpie, your tourm is so pretty it can definitely stand on its own. I'm afraid I am no help because I love that stone so much. When I saw the first setting I thought: "Yes, beautiful!" When I saw the second setting I thought the same thing. I like the halo because it makes it pop, but I'm not that into halos in general...

Okay, here is my request for help. I have a close friend who has helped me out enormously over the years, and especially recently as I have been having a challenging time with my older son (probably TMI, but anyway). I've decided to make her a ring as a thank you. She has two boys and a DH, so I thought wouldn't it be cool to make her stacking rings, each with a stone, picked out by her boys. I have had a great time getting small (2.5 -6mm) RB stones in cool colors (a few beautiful unheated blue sapphires from Tan, one green and one teal tourm and one purple spinel from Barry) along with assorted other stones I already had or managed to collect along the way ;-) Now all they have to do is pick 'em!

I have been in touch with Daniel M about making them/it for me. Here is what I know so far:

1) she likes white metal - I'll probably go with silver or argentium silver if it really doesn't tarnish;

2) she loves cool colors. Her favorite color is purple - always looking for an excuse to buy another stone, I'm hoping that Barry might have another one for me; and

3) she is not into bling and doesn't want anything that will get caught on her jeans when she puts her hands in her pockets.

So here is my question: I know I can have three simple rings made each with a bezel set or small prong set stone, but is there a way to have them somehow interconnected, like curving and somehow the curves all fit together? Has anyone seen any good examples of stacking rings that act like a set in some interlocking kind of way?

TIA

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
One of our best friends is pregnant with her first child and since her hubby is not so hip to jewelry and I like to give presents, I want to give her a necklace for this happy occasion.

She has wanted an opal for awhile and it just so happens I have this gorgeous opal :D 022.png

Could you all help me with a pendant setting? It's a 7x9 oval and N/S (IMO) is when the opal looks the best, but it looks good E/W too.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
TL|1301671272|2885142 said:
Aoife|1301664673|2885023 said:

VC457twoTone.jpg

Are you sure you want to do Van Craeynest? I am appalled at how they handled a situation here with a fellow PS'er. I don't know if you know the specifics, but if not,

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...stone-advice-from-setters-and-cutters.150162/

I think people should get what they want and usually their desire is more important than one or two negative posts about a vendor, and I'm sure if they searched PS properly I am sure they would have came across my thread and have taken it into consideration. Anyway a step cut sapphire is different from a precision cut demantoid, and Aoife could always get someone else to set it for her.

bluegirl123

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I have found a setting that I like from the local mall. The thing is that the setting will be nearly 1k, so I'm wondering if you guys have seen something similar that is more budget conscious for me, ie $300 or cheaper.

the shape of it is like the picture below, but it's micropave instead of solid white gold. It also opens up a bit more at the ends and the twist is closer to the stone. It also has a micropave undergallery and on the side of the prongs. I dont really care if the micropave existed on the undergallery or side prongs, I just want that single twist on either end with micropave. the width of the band is really small, so the ring itself is quite delicate.

I'll be setting a 6mm pink tourmaline in it.

Thanks! :)

prod_21183410W.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is a great, articulate, specific question! Have you looked at the trusted sellers on ebay such as Lord of Gem Rings?

bluegirl123

Rough_Rock
Hi minousbijoux,

thanks for the great suggestions, I did not look at LOGR.

I have found this setting from, http://cgi.ebay.ca/VS-Dark-Amethyst-14k-White-Gold-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-/250810848903?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item3a657dd687#ht_10440wt_908

Unfortunately, i do not like the way the micropave wraps around the stone. What I'm looking for is the micropave meeting to kinda where the prongs are and disappearing there. The head is separate from the twisted shank altogether.

Do you think LOGR can do that type of customization?

Thanks!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
There's somewhat of a language barrier, but they seem to do customizations well. I'd send them lots of pictures with arrows pointing to exactly the changes you want. It can't hurt to ask!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Speaking of all this VC... I never did get ot see RubyCharm's ring and I think most of her threads are gone now. Anyone have a picture or know where to find one? Sounds divine...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results