Tales from the secondary diamond market

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wish I could figure out the other not to be named site... :nono:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does this count? I got it for under $40 - made sure it was the real deal by buying a duplicate from amazon and returning, it is a fun toy 8)

DiamondTester.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously though. I am terrified of ebay. I think I know my diamonds pretty well. But I *don't* know moissanite, really good CZs, maybe even paste... and I definitely don't trust the doodad above w/ a "real" purchase, way too easy to bamboozle!

I did take a chance on a pair of antique cushions (cannibalised from earrings) recently off Ruby Lane - seller had lots of feedback, an actual store a few hundred miles from me, an excellent return policy, and was very willing to chat with me about the stones and answer my questions.

But, of course, you're not going to find rock-bottom prices from sellers who take good pics, have actual stores in the US, have excellent return policies, and are willing to take the time to chat about their goods w/ potential customers! It's a tradeoff. I think I paid a *fair* price ~ 1k for 1.2ctw (one is 0.65, other is 0.55), no idea on the colour but I'd estimate ~M/N, clearly 'well-loved'. They're going into a bezel bracelet so I'm not worried about the girdle abrasions, and I doubt it's worth getting them patched up - though I plan to inquire.

ETA: I think ebay and other such sites aren't very good resources unless you're either willing to take a big risk on a private sale/nonrefundable/crappy pics, or you're looking to spend quite a bit - say +5k. Under 1k, around 1k, 2k from "reputable" sellers w/ decent pics - everyone is fighting over everything, even the misspellings/wrongly-named, it's just not worth it unless you've got time to spare IMO.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: pics ::)

J-OMCs-1.png
J-OMCs-2.png
J-OMCs-3.png
J-OMCs-4.png
J-OMCs-5.png
J-OMCs-6.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1303948676|2906600 said:
Seriously though. I am terrified of ebay. I think I know my diamonds pretty well. But I *don't* know moissanite, really good CZs, maybe even paste... and I definitely don't trust the doodad above w/ a "real" purchase, way too easy to bamboozle!

This is my apprehension.

But this thread has got me curious and I might go peruse some local pawn shops and antique stores and see what they have. I am curious to see whether there are actually "deals" to be found.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Lol! And there's that thread. I think it shoudl be bumped up to the top of the forum for everyone to be reminded of why you really do need a GIA report or something other than the seller's word. I actualy could laugh at it this time...it's taken a while for me to "get over" it. Nothing that laying on a sofa and talking to my therapist couldn't take care of....JUST KIDDING!! ;-)

I am glad to see that there are some of you who have found great looking diamonds on Ebay. Seriously, sioem of those are finds indeed! :)

Hugs,
MDS

Dreamer_D|1303946634|2906572 said:
MyDiamondSparkles|1303939712|2906505 said:
I bought a diamond ring off of Ebay once, but never again. It was really a bad experience and the diamond was misrepresented in every way possible. I did get my moneyy back, but it was an emotional experience I wouldn't want to repeat. I posted about it here, but I'd have to go find the post--it included some really ugly photos of a diamond that was so full of carbon spots--like 500 of them no kidding! Funny how the seller failed to mention that fact. :-o

Here is your thread: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...i-can-not-lie-real-ugly-diamond-story.153929/

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Cozystitches|1303948628|2906598 said:
:tongue:
ha ha ha ha me too.

jgny

Shiny_Rock
vintagelover229 - I remember your story! I 've kept tabs on the site and it seems the good things go pretty quickly. that ring was so gorgeous and such a steal.

I look online for a lot of secondhand pieces - I have a bunch of the "ones that got away" - either b/c I did not bid high enough or they were through consignment and somebody purchased at the store and it was delisted on eBay. I love looking for "deals" but they are hard to find, even at the higher #.

Also, it's only a deal if you like it. I saw an original Tiffany piece at a great price but it was just not my style. Went for $4900 (orig $12,900). http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...wk%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Those are few and far between though.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I love the secondary market and would have to say one of my biggest shopping regrets was buying my ering setting new instead of used, I so could get a better deal now :nono: but live and learn. I am sorry so many here seem to have negative thoughts about ebay, I love it!!! and do alot of my shopping there, butterfly17 did a great post on some precautions to take when shopping there and I think you would find that many of the ebay sellers are more then willing to chat about there goods, many list phone numbers on there store sites. I find ebay to feel safer to me then the site that shall not be named just because you can see much higher feedback numbers although I have purchased multi things from bob kast there and from a few others and have not had any problems. Because of the things I like, vintage watches and jewelery pieces secondary is the only way to go.

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Ditto :| wanting to know what the "site that can't be named" is... Diamond in my avatar is a transitional from JbEG on super sale. K color VS2 and 6.35 mm (1.01 ct.). I haven't received yet - my stbF purchased it and I hope to receive it in fall. Of the stone he has said gorgeous and sparkles like mad. I'm sure it does, can't wait to judge for myself. :love: As for resale, unsure of the price but he paid ~$3500. A steal to us because it is in pristine condition with no nicks, scratches and just what we were looking for.
tranny1.jpg
Edited for typos.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, rubyprincess, that is a beautiful stone!!! :love:

GraceAva

Rough_Rock
i have purchased about 10 pieces of jewelery off ebay, 4 of which were expensive diamond rings. out of all of that i've had to return 2 items. one was a ruby ring that turned out to be garnet and the other was a solid gold bangle that turned out to be hollow. but in both cases the sellers were easy to deal with and returned my money with no problems. my current engagement ring is a 1.40 tcw SI1 J-K-L, the center stone is victorian but the setting is modern. the center stone is stunning and i never thought with budget we had (it cost $1800) i would ever own such a beautiful diamond. i'm always getting compliments on it. so for me it was worth the risk as if we had gone into a jewelery shop with that budget (especially here in the UK) i'd have been lucky to get a pretty rubbish .50ct. i think if you follow all the advice butterfly has given your very unlikely to go wrong but it is always a risk. i was under the impression though that if you paid for it through paypal you were protected and they would refund you??

my new ring!!! 057.JPG

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1303993099|2906934 said:
Oh, rubyprincess, that is a beautiful stone!!! :love:
Thank you DS! That is a HUGE compliment coming from you - I look up to your diamond wisdom so! (sorry for the threadjack!)

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
16ocean|1303951656|2906650 said:
ha ha ha ha me too.

me three!!!!! anyone wanna give us some google search hints?!

Lew Lew

Shiny_Rock
Trade
lovebug1031|1303998693|2906977 said:
16ocean|1303951656|2906650 said:
ha ha ha ha me too.

me three!!!!! anyone wanna give us some google search hints?!

**edited by moderator. please do not link to other forums per the policies**

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there're definitely good bargains to be had but I've been burnt so am very wary of dealing on the secondhand market. Just because someone who's buying or selling is from PS, it doesn't mean that they can be trusted. I say this with the caveat that I LOVE PS and PS'ers generally; the majority are really awesome and have been my support system for some of the events that have happened in my life, as well as of course provide me with bling advice, he he!! :twirl: But like everywhere else and in any situation, there're always someone out there who's not honest. Long story short (for those who haven't read the relevant thread), I sent a Tiffany Metro to a PS'er (who responded to my ad on said forum) who's actually a long-time PS'er and had posted frequently prior to this event (and so I foolishly thought it was safe - NOT! :nono: ) - she's started posting again recently btw. She claimed that the package was tampered with and the contents stolen prior to her receiving it. Well, I got in touch with the post offices in Singapore and in the US (NY City) as well as the Postal Inspector. They investigated the matter over the course of several months; the final outcome is that they all confirmed the recipient did actually sign for the package and it was intact when it was delivered to her.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Phoenix|1304002197|2906997 said:
I think there're definitely good bargains to be had but I've been burnt so am very wary of dealing on the secondhand market. Just because someone who's buying or selling is from PS, it doesn't mean that they can be trusted. I say this with the caveat that I LOVE PS and PS'ers generally; the majority are really awesome and have been my support system for some of the events that have happened in my life, as well as of course provide me with bling advice, he he!! :twirl: But like everywhere else and in any situation, there're always someone out there who's not honest. Long story short (for those who haven't read the relevant thread), I sent a Tiffany Metro to a PS'er (who responded to my ad on said forum) who's actually a long-time PS'er and had posted frequently prior to this event (and so I foolishly thought it was safe - NOT! :nono: ) - she's started posting again recently btw. She claimed that the package was tampered with and the contents stolen prior to her receiving it. Well, I got in touch with the post offices in Singapore and in the US (NY City) as well as the Postal Inspector. They investigated the matter over the course of several months; the final outcome is that they all confirmed the recipient did actually sign for the package and it was intact when it was delivered to her.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that and yes I totally agree with you that although most people here are great, not all can be trusted specially with such expensive items.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Hi Phoenix,

I just read your topic about your terrible experience and is simply flabbergasted! Did you get your claims in the end? Hope whoever took your Tiffany will get his/her retribution.

Thanks for bringing this up and reminding us of the risks involved when dealing in secondary market. I just started diamond shopping not too long ago, and found that it is very easy to get carried away with online shopping. :nono:

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
happybear said:
Hi Phoenix,

I just read your topic about your terrible experience and is simply flabbergasted! Did you get your claims in the end? Hope whoever took your Tiffany will get his/her retribution.

Thanks for bringing this up and reminding us of the risks involved when dealing in secondary market. I just started diamond shopping not too long ago, and found that it is very easy to get carried away with online shopping. :nono:

Phoenix I'm terribly sorry you didn't end up getting reimbursed for your Metro ring :nono: . However I was under the impression you shipped the ring without the buyer paying you first correct? And then the person "received" a damaged package and refused to send payment for a ring they claimed they didn't get correct? I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly bc had the buyer paid you first and then claimed that the package was damaged and stolen the buyer would have been out of the money and needing your assistance to make a claim and not vice versa?

I have had a package go missing during international shipping. I bought it from a PSer and it had tracking and everything. It went missing before crossing the boarder but thankfully it wasn't an expensive purchase (and you can't insure international packages though USPS that contain jewelry/watches/gold/etc) but the seller was awesome and refunded my money even though she was going to be out the 60.00+sh. Because of this I have almost all my packages shipped to my father and he reships them up here or if it's jewelry we usually hold onto it until we can see each other in person and physically bring them over. I've haven't sold anything on there yet but I do have a few items for sale and I state in the listing buyer must pay shipping. When I email with them about the sale I notify them that it must be insured, tracked and signed for as well. It's protects the both of us as best as possible but as Phoenix story does show things can happen and there is an element or risk involved no matter who/what you are buying.

For me the savings is worth the risk. I wouldn't have the pieces I have today if it wasn't for the risk and the secondary market. So even with a package gone missing with a band in it I am still going to hunt for my good deals :)

ETA: I love everyones pictures! All the rings are GORGEOUS! I can't wait to see more pictures and read more stories!
Those loose cushions are going to be beautiful in a DBTY bracelet too!

Thank you everyone for your kind comments :) I am very frugal and I love getting a good deal. I thrive on getting something name brand for less than I can buy the generic new and love vintage goods (including coats and some clothing) and so getting this ring was simply perfect for us. The entire ring cost less than my AVC that I had and it was 1.31 J SI1 and this one is a RB H VVS1 and so I feel very blessed that we were able to get the ring that we got :sun:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
vintagelover229|1304009869|2907100 said:
happybear said:
Hi Phoenix,

Phoenix I'm terribly sorry you didn't end up getting reimbursed for your Metro ring :nono: . However I was under the impression you shipped the ring without the buyer paying you first correct? And then the person "received" a damaged package and refused to send payment for a ring they claimed they didn't get correct? I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly bc had the buyer paid you first and then claimed that the package was damaged and stolen the buyer would have been out of the money and needing your assistance to make a claim and not vice versa?

Yes, from the other thread, Phoenix made it clear she sent the ring w/out receiving payment. This will forever perplex me! Makes the entire situation *out of the ordinary*.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I really miss Signed Pieces--bought several Tiffany & Cartier pieces from them. I like the stuff offered on oakgem.com and that place may become my "new" favorite for Estate Signed Pieces.

I've purchased a lot of Estate pieces locally to me--good values.

cheers--Sharon

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me, I've bought and sold on the secondary market and haven't had any real problems. One buyer was a bit whiney which irritated me, but the other buyers were great.

For the items I purchased, I got great prices but none of the diamonds were as good of quality as described! I had purchased two sets of studs and they were lower grades than advertized, but I bought them before discovering PS and they sparkled like crazy (just lower color/clarity).

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a great topic.

I know a lot of people are very apprehensive about e-bay, but there are some deals.

I purchased a 1.50 carat round diamond. SI1 in clarity - G in color. Stats were

60.8 depth
57 table
34.5 crown
40.6 pavilion - No head shaddow

Shows beautiful arrows.

I brought it to my very skeptical jeweler who would have taken great pleasure in proving me wrong. Everything checked out exactly as stated. And yes this SI1 is eye clean.

It was set in a platinum, stamped handmade, setting with two .15 bagettes. Total carat weight 1.80.

Cost - $5,000.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
vintagelover229,

I must say, your pieces are totally TDF!!! It's wonderful to hear successful deals :))

Recently I took a gamble and purchased a diamond ring from ebay. The description given was pretty accurate: ~0.85ct H/I color eyeclean but with slight chips around the girdle.

The sellers reputation was not 100% great, with one negative feedback saying the package didn't arrive and was reported lost in transit :errrr: . Many others commented that the seller was also slow in responding to messages. In view of this, I insisted the seller to insure the package and paid an additional $20 on top of the normal shipping cost for it. The seller was indeed slow in responding to my messages but delivered in the end. I held out the payment until all my queries were addressed and am glad to say my patience paid off.

Attachments

• ebay purchase.bmp
    898.2 KB · Views: 792

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been generally apprehensive about ebay too but have just made my first significant (as in more than a few bucks) purchase. The seller had 100% positive feedback, the pictures were plentiful and detailed, the price was right and it was my size. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. It's white gold band with 6 diamonds, approximately .24ctw. It's vintage, probably from the 50s, according to the seller. I just got it and it looks great. The diamonds are white and all eye clean. Only one has obvious inclusions under a loupe. And I paid $100 total for it. I think it's a pretty great deal.

$(KGrHqV,!hsE2RG,B4q3BNoiT3(DTQ~~_12.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!l0E2EmGEkvVBNoiTsyEUg~~_13.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Search for "bargain beauties" I started thread a while ago and many posted secondary market finds there as well.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. Let's see- I almost always shop secondhand, partly because I love antique jewelry and partly because I love a deal. :bigsmile:

-3.39 ct OEC, paid $10,500 for the stone and a very elaborate setting. Sold the setting for $1K later on, probably could have gotten more but it was literally someone offering to buy it after she overheard me telling my husband I was going to put it up for sale- so like 5 minutes after I'd decided to sell it. At the time, three years or so ago, very low retail for the stone was probably $17K ish. Now it's a lot more- well over $20K from what I can tell. M color, VS2 clarity (though if I ever sell it, I'll definitely repolish it since it is IF other than the small chip.)

-2 ct transitional cut diamond in a period platinum setting, paid $4K for it, wore it for a few months, resold it for $8K to a dealer at the antique mall I work at. Retail on that stone was probably ~$10K. It was O/P color, at least VS clarity.

-3.5 cttw old mine cut sterling filigree chandelier diamond earrings, c.1890s- each one has a 1 carat center stone as well as a decent amount of larger size melee. Fairly high color- probably Jish, SI clarity most likely. Paid around $600, retail probably $3-$4K.

Those were the three insanely good deals I found from ebay. All of those were the product of me watching a particular area like a hawk for months- it wasn't just like I did a single search once and found a steal; over time I developed a pretty comprehensive idea of what prices in one particular category were like and thus, when I found a deal I knew it. For example I really wanted some antique filigree diamond earrings, so I'd kept a very close eye on the area for probably 6 months and had found a few pairs I really liked but none that were really great deals... and I was shocked to get these at the price I did I have to admit. I had bit a LOT more on them.

I absolutely, positively will not buy jewelry from a seller that doesn't have a no questions asked return policy. That's a totally ironclad rule I have for buying jewelry on ebay. Good feedback is also necessary, and especially if it's a higher ticket item, I always ask questions just so I can get an idea of what the person is like and if they're responsive, friendly etc.

A few deals I found IRL: one (that I've never posted here actually) was this gorgeous Edwardian platinum & diamond filigree bow. It was listed as "14K" by the dealer who owned it and priced as such, at the antique mall I work at. Well, she'd just looked at the assay stamp on the brooch pin. And that was clearly a later addition- it was period, yes, but a marriage. I have no idea what the bow was originally- I had two loops soldered onto it so I can wear it as a necklace. It didn't look like any loops had been removed, and the pin piece was totally a later addition (and it hung wrong as a brooch)- and also, it's hinged, so the two loops of the bow are supposed to move. No clue what it was. But it's cool! I paid around $500 for it, I'd say it's probably $1K or more retail. There's a lot of metal and the stones are fairly substantial size, but I admit I've never actually weighed it or measured the diamonds. It's about an inch and a half long and maybe... a half inch wide? It's got exquisite workmanship, but it's quite mysterious in it's actual original purpose in life.

Two others are a pair of ~.50 ct each old european cut diamonds, very well matched in color and clarity (I'd guess J, SI-ish). Paid $400 total for both. They're set in rings right now- one is a lovely period 14K white gold setting with graduated single cut melee going down the shank and an illusion head, the other is a '60s yellow gold tiffany style solitaire. Dunno what on earth I'll do with them, they've been sitting in my jewelry box for almost a year, but they're very pretty. And were such a good deal I couldn't resist. They were also from the antique mall I work at. (No clue on retail price at the moment- I don't really keep an eye on under 1 ct OEC prices much.)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
happy - that's lovely!!

And LGK - good lord, you are the absolute queen of deals :-o :sun:

jechow.ca

Rough_Rock
I was reading this thread and found some of the comments scary. Why? The secondary market prices can be so different compared to the primary market. For example, if a person was to spend $1,500 on a diamond or 1 oz bar of gold and then immediately posted the item on eBay I am guessing that I would get close to $1,500 for the gold and something less than $1,500 for the diamond. Even the bullion dealer that sold me the bar of gold discloses at the time of purchase the price he is willing to purchase the bar back for but the same buy/sell market does not exist for diamonds.

Although I make the above statements I too am a lover of super-ideal diamonds. They are beautiful pieces of jewelry that my wife can wear and she would not be as happy wearing gold bar or bundle of $100 bills as a pendent. But when I buy the diamond, I am assuming that I will never see that money again due to potential loss or theft or lack of resale value in the secondary market. It's almost analogous to luxury cars.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
jechow.ca|1304084434|2907885 said:
I was reading this thread and found some of the comments scary. Why? The secondary market prices can be so different compared to the primary market. For example, if a person was to spend $1,500 on a diamond or 1 oz bar of gold and then immediately posted the item on eBay I am guessing that I would get close to $1,500 for the gold and something less than $1,500 for the diamond. Even the bullion dealer that sold me the bar of gold discloses at the time of purchase the price he is willing to purchase the bar back for but the same buy/sell market does not exist for diamonds.

Although I make the above statements I too am a lover of super-ideal diamonds. They are beautiful pieces of jewelry that my wife can wear and she would not be as happy wearing gold bar or bundle of $100 bills as a pendent. But when I buy the diamond, I am assuming that I will never see that money again due to potential loss or theft or lack of resale value in the secondary market. It's almost analogous to luxury cars.

From who I've talked to locally, it depends upon the size of the diamond. I've sold scrap gold before and was told that if the diamond is under .50, often it will not be included in how much I get *at all*. Now, I'm talking scrap (not elaborate settings, etc.). When I sold the scrap, gold was around $1200 an oz. and none of the pieces had diamonds in them. All of the diamonds I've sold, I've gotten about decent return on them. No where nearly what I paid, but still wasn't like I was taken advantage of.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results