shape
carat
color
clarity

Zircon ring wearers...

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I'm trying to find the perfect stone to put in an existing setting as a present for my future mother in law. She isn't too adventurous with color and so I think blue is my only option for something that she would actually wear (not that I don't love blue - I do - but this would be easier if I had choices).

One of the usual suspects of cutters has a gorgeous perfectly sized blue zircon. I know some are very against zircons in rings, but others aren't and there are some lovely zircon rings posted on the board.

For those of you who have zircon rings (if you would):
- how long have you had your ring?
- are you super careful with it?
- is your stone damaged at all?
- and would you set another zircon in a ring?

Thanks! Feel free to post more pictures, too! :naughty:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have three zircon rings - two rings are bezelled and the other is prong-set (a la Daniel M's "Liv's Ring" setting) - one of the bezelled rings (blue zircon) I've had for maybe 8 months, the prong-set ring (mauve zircon) since Nov 2010, and the other bezelled ring (champagne zircon) since Jan 2011.

They are all in excellent condition (I just louped them) - they are RHRs and are not worn regularly; when I do wear them, it is to work or a social occasion. While I am careful with my rings, I will not be surprised when/if the zircon rings show signs of wear/abraded areas... but I favor zircons - I find the colors and the dispersion beautiful.

I do plan to have other zircons set and while I will generally go with bezels for zircons, sometimes a prong setting seems best suited for a particular zircon... but I do take into account the likelihood those stones will more likely show signs of wear/damage. The mauve zircon I have in the Liv's Ring would not be easily be replaced, however, and as wonderful as it looks in its current home, I am contemplating a re-set into a bezel.

Hope this helps.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess you are already aware of the issue of brittleness and facet wear of zircon. Because of this, I haven’t set my Richard Homer zircon yet because I dread to think of any potential damage to a stone that wasn’t exactly inexpensive.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have got a bracelet set with large white zircons which is more susceptible to damage than a ring. I only wear it occasionally but it's held up okay so far. Having said that, this is only occasionally worn. The same for my Zircon rings - occasional wear only.

I'm not sure that I'd want to have a ring that I would wear lots potentially being damaged so I'm on the fence whether I'd say go for it or not.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1303748673|2904588 said:
I guess you are already aware of the issue of brittleness and facet wear of zircon. Because of this, I haven’t set my Richard Homer zircon yet because I dread to think of any potential damage to a stone that wasn’t exactly inexpensive.
I have one of these, too!! I also haven't set it. I imagine it in pendant, though, where it's more protected. I probably would not put it in a ring unless I was only going to were it like a cocktail ring worn on special occasions only.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your responses, ladies!

Marymm, thanks for all the detail in your reply. One of your bezeled rings was my inspiration for thinking this could be possible. The setting I have has prongs, though. It's much fancier than her day to day look is (she's a kindergarten teacher - I don't think she wears anything but her e-ring to work) so it would be an occasional wear ring but I hear what you're saying about assuming they'll be damaged no matter what. I love the color and I think she'd be thrilled with the dispersion. I'm just not sure I like the idea of giving her something I'd expect her to damage.

Chrono, yup, that's my concern too. This stone is at the topic of our budget for this project and it's both the damage to the stone and the idea of giving a gift that won't last that makes me concerned. Or one that she thinks will last but I'll know is getting hurt.

LD, thanks, me too. When you say your white zircons have held up ok so far, can you see the damage or a change in the way the stones appear with your naked eye or just louped?

Swingirl, thanks for the input! I guess part of my worry about this is that if it were going to be my ring, I could easily baby it and know the issues with the zircon, but as a gift, it's not like I want to include a user's manual, you know?

Also, I'd love to see your zircons! May as well make a thread all about worry fun!

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Novel,
Was taking pics today, and saw your post regarding Zircons and how they may (or may not) hold up with regular wear. In 2005 I faceted a 5ct square emerald cut Zircon for my wife's right hand piece, and she wears this ring regularly - I'd say 3 to 4 days per week. Though she does not wear it for gardening, cleaning, kitchen/cooking stuff.
GingerDeryZirconRing.jpg
As you can see from the photo, she now has some minor dings on the top of the stone - and the stone is above the bars of metal.

It may appear that the white gold around the Sapphires is abraded, though it was designed with a "buffed" look to it.

I hope you find this helpful in your decision making.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Roger, that actually is really helpful! Neat ring, too!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 2 zircon rings. both are occasional wear, though one gets worn more than the other because of its design. No wear on the stone yet, but then again I don't exactly kick box in them either ;))

So it can be worn in rings if care is taken. I wouldn't subject them to daily wear though.

-A

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I wear a zircon every day, all day long, and have yet to chip it. I don't know how/why, but mine does just fine.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian and Soberguy, thanks for weighing in! I'm so conflicted now.

The setting is 4 generations old, so I don't think she'd wear this every day no matter what. It's also set really high, so I think she'd end up scratching one of her kindergarteners with it. My sense is that a zircon is the only way I'm going to get a blue without significant gray in the right size in my price range.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results