color
clarity

Is 2 cats to much??

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1302982610|2897919 said:
VRBeauty|1302981322|2897888 said:
My personal rule - borne of experience - is no more than one cat per human hand.

One hand per hand or per person? Due to circumstances (we took in a stray & also took a cat being abused by a friend) we ended up with five cats. We have four people in our household. Maybe some cat owners can balance that many cats, but we couldn't. It was a nightmare. They constantly fought. They'd keep us up at night...bugging us while we slept, either expecting attention at 3 am or jumping on and off the bed. When we put them out of the room, they'd sit outside the door pawing at it or sticking their feet under the door. Purrr chaos.

We did put three up for adoption. One was given to a couple and the other two who were siblings were adopted by another couple.

LOL - one per hand! I've never had more than three at once, and that's quite enough for me, thank you.

I'm sorry your five-cat household didn't work out. I hope things are better now that there are only two cats. My two-cat household didn't exactly work out, since one of the cats wanted to be "an only", but it was workable enough for me. More truthfully, it was probably easier for me to deal with the two of them than it would have been for me to find a good home for one somewhat disagreeable cat, so it had to work! She's less disagreeable - but more needy - now that she's the lone cat.

GraceAva

Rough_Rock
Well monty and morty got picked up yesterday, i'm a bit sad actually. We were so excited about getting the cats and i thought i was being more sensible getting older cats because of my daughter. I do think that sometimes these animal shelters are just happy that someones willing to take on the animals and hope for the best. It's a shame for my daughter though as she really loves cats and i wanted her to grow up with a pet but after the way this turned out i'm reluctant to get another cat (i'm not really a dog person!)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't give up entirely on the idea of getting a cat - just wait until your daughter is a bit older and can understand the need to be gentle and careful with a cat... and take care when you pick out your cat. My parents allowed me to pick out a kitten from a friend's litter when I was in the first grade. You don't necessarily have to wait that long, but your daughter will be old enough to be around a cat before you know it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SanDiegoLady|1303583966|2903467 said:
We have two cats.. my girls tolerate eachother.. Camille is 12 and Bailey is 2... they have only just this year been able to tolerate sleeping together (briefly & must not be touching, as Camille sleeps on top of the blanket & Bailey burrows under it). When I was in Washington, many years ago, I had 9.. Yes. I was the crazy cat lady. :bigsmile:

LOL, I totally see how that could happen SDL! I used to think 2 cats were the maximum and anyone who had more than 3 was plain crazy. But I can happily eat my words now because we have 4 cats in our family and it was so easy to happen. So many wonderful animals need homes and it is so hard to say no! But 4 is our maximum (LOL I say that now but that's what I said about 2 :bigsmile: ).
You were not the crazy cat lady but the lady with the crazy big heart!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1303007341|2898170 said:
MC|1302982610|2897919 said:
VRBeauty|1302981322|2897888 said:
My personal rule - borne of experience - is no more than one cat per human hand.

One hand per hand or per person? Due to circumstances (we took in a stray & also took a cat being abused by a friend) we ended up with five cats. We have four people in our household. Maybe some cat owners can balance that many cats, but we couldn't. It was a nightmare. They constantly fought. They'd keep us up at night...bugging us while we slept, either expecting attention at 3 am or jumping on and off the bed. When we put them out of the room, they'd sit outside the door pawing at it or sticking their feet under the door. Purrr chaos.

We did put three up for adoption. One was given to a couple and the other two who were siblings were adopted by another couple.

LOL - one per hand! I've never had more than three at once, and that's quite enough for me, thank you.

I'm sorry your five-cat household didn't work out. I hope things are better now that there are only two cats. My two-cat household didn't exactly work out, since one of the cats wanted to be "an only", but it was workable enough for me. More truthfully, it was probably easier for me to deal with the two of them than it would have been for me to find a good home for one somewhat disagreeable cat, so it had to work! She's less disagreeable - but more needy - now that she's the lone cat.

I just checked this thread now (sorry to not respond more quickly)...we only have one cat at this time (the one in my avatar passed away last spring). It's funny as my DH is firmly set that we only have one cat, but I found a duplicate version of the one we have now (black w/amber eyes) and was thinking I bet I can bring that one home and it would take DH weeks before he realized that there were now two cats in the house. hahaha (he would just think he's seeing double...!)

Yeah, five is TOO many (for us). We feed our cat Avoderm and all the cats (except one) were young - under age 2 and ate a ton of food so it was costing us a fortune...not to mention the three liter boxes. Ugh. (plus we have the two kids - so basically it was like having 7 bickering kids...they all drove me nuts!)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
GraceAva|1303125154|2898981 said:
Well monty and morty got picked up yesterday, i'm a bit sad actually. We were so excited about getting the cats and i thought i was being more sensible getting older cats because of my daughter. I do think that sometimes these animal shelters are just happy that someones willing to take on the animals and hope for the best. It's a shame for my daughter though as she really loves cats and i wanted her to grow up with a pet but after the way this turned out i'm reluctant to get another cat (i'm not really a dog person!)

Sorry your kitties didn't work out.

Where did you go for Monty and Morty? I found the Human Society to be a great place for adoption, rather than an animal shelter, because they have files on all the animals and can more easily match an appropriate cat to go with your family. It's recommended that you bring the whole family when looking for a cat and they have volunteers to help you out so you can interact with the cats for a while before deciding. We spent an hour or two there!

When my boys were little, the cat we had stood her ground so the boys learned quickly that being nice was important to avoid any issues. lol eta - not to say you want an aggressive cat, but one who's got a bit of cattitude. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to add that we have always had two and adopted siblings as kittens. That way they learn to adapt to the family and the environment. The first two were indoors and I always felt sad about it. Their nature is to be outside and they long to be outside to run and hunt, etc. Our second pair were found outdoors as strays, so we allowed them to be outdoor cats as we do not live in a high traffic area and have ample land for them. They are wonderful and affectionate and do stay close to home most of the time. We keep out garage open at all times so they have shelter when they want it. I am glad they are able to hunt and explore and entertain themselves chasing bugs, etc.! I understand that some people do not live in places that are amenable to outdoor pets, but thankfully we do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results