shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice--- To see or not to see?

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies! Happy Tuesday! :wavey:

I've got a not so dire problem on my hands... the ring gets in today! YAY! :appl:

My issue is, I'm a little crazy (I'm a slightly neurotic perfectionist... he still loves me and wants to marry me- god bless him!). I want to see the ring and make sure it's perfect- make sure I love the setting, that the stone still looks eye-clean to me now that it's set, and make sure it fits properly. He agrees- he certainly doesn't want to propose to me and then an hour later have me say that it has to go back for "xyz" reason. He knows how crazy I can be. BUT, I'm worried that I'm in ring overload- I picked out the diamond, picked out the setting, saw the stone before it was set, saw a picture of the finished ring on the website, and now I'm worried that when he finally does propose in the next few weeks that I won't be as awed because I've already seen it so many times. I definitely want to get that "warm and fuzzy" feeling and not just say "yeah, yeah, get that sucker onto my finger". Am I over-analyzing? I know a few ladies on here have seen the ring before the proposal so I want some advice: to see or not to see???

Thanks ahead of time!!

kateydid05

Shiny_Rock
You've already been so involved that I think it makes sense to see it in person to see the finished product and make sure it's what you want. If your SO agrees to it then go for it. I think the warm and fuzzy feeling will come with however he chooses to propose and all the pre-involvement in the selection process will go right out the window. :))

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The stone was eyeclean before it was set, it will be eyeclean now that its set. You've seen the pictures, which will show you the setting much larger than it will appear in person. You are over analyzing to the point of trying to find something wrong with it. Stop.

Leave it alone, let HIM have his moment. Now go get your nails done! :)

A

Anonymous

Don't look!!! Seriously, if you're that worried have him take it to an independent jeweler and ask them to evaluate it for you guys to make sure he's not missing some serious issue. I was SO glad that I didn't peek and you will be too! :bigsmile:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Don't look. I was just as involved as you in the ring process and didn't see the final product until he proposed. Just like you, I was worried there would be something wrong that I would see and not love it or whatever. What actually ended up happening is there is a small "error" in the setting (the basket was supposed to have very small diamonds in it, and the jeweler just did milgrain)...and I didn't even notice. And it's not a big deal, I just need to take it in and they will fix it. So even if something is wrong it's not the end of the world...it can get fixed. But you can never have another chance to see it for the first time.

wwmd8118

Shiny_Rock
I agree with other posters - wait and see it when he proposes. Let that moment of shock and awe be when he's asking you to marry him. It'll make it that much more amazing. And it'll leave an element of surprise. Plus, like amc80 said, you can always take it in and have something fixed if need be, and that won't make a difference whether you caught it before he proposes or after. Enjoy....and I agree with Winks - go get a manicure!! :love:

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice ladies!! I spoke with the bf and although he still wanted me to look at it, I told him that if he gave his stamp of approval (and gets it independently appraised which he is doing Thursday) then I would prefer for him to experience seeing my face as I look at the ring the first time when he proposes. He's very romantic and definitely thought that would be a sweet idea. He also told me that I wouldn't have to wait too long so... yay!! I'll be getting a mani/pedi tomorrow in preparation for the big day. Thanks again ladies!! You calm my crazy! :loopy:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
You're over-analyzing. No to seeing the ring.

lisalikessparkles

Rough_Rock
I'm SO glad you aren't going to see it.
Just imagine how amazing it will be still having something as a surprise.. it won't be half as exciting if you have already seen it - takes the fun out of it!!!

I am so excited for you!!! Can't wait to see photos!!
What colour nail polish do we all think is appropriate for a blushing engagement-ee??
I like pale pinks.. but then I do love a bold ruby red.. oh decisions decisions!!!

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
lisalikessparkles|1302686438|2894807 said:
Just imagine how amazing it will be still having something as a surprise.. it won't be half as exciting if you have already seen it - takes the fun out of it!!!

What colour nail polish do we all think is appropriate for a blushing engagement-ee??
I like pale pinks.. but then I do love a bold ruby red.. oh decisions decisions!!!

OMG- I was just thinking... what's a romantic color for my nails? I'm usually a dark nail polish kind of girl but think the color should be more towards a red or pink kind of color... maybe I'll start another post. Yay! I'm so proud of myself for not looking!! :appl:

wwmd8118

Shiny_Rock
confusedaisy|1302700750|2894872 said:
lisalikessparkles|1302686438|2894807 said:

OMG- I was just thinking... what's a romantic color for my nails? I'm usually a dark nail polish kind of girl but think the color should be more towards a red or pink kind of color... maybe I'll start another post. Yay! I'm so proud of myself for not looking!! :appl:

Yay for you not looking! :appl:

I love the nail color question - it's such a minor thing that doesn't really matter but it's fun for us in waiting to think about little details like that. :twirl: I've thought about this, too - I'm a dark nail polish girl but my BF hates dark nail polish, so I'm planning on going this weekend and getting some type of pale pink. That's not my first choice usually but I think it looks pretty in ring pictures...complements the bling more. :naughty:

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The more delicate the manicure color looks, the more the ring stands out. Shell pink, Cameo pink, or baby pink looks great for a french, and a nice pearly pink looks very dainty. My personal favorite DIY is Sally Hanson's Extreme Wear in First Blush. It's a great pink with no pearl to it.

ETA neon pink makes your hands look really tan!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results