shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone size for halo and shank 13 x 10 oval stone. Help!

Sparkly_Not_Gaudy

Rough_Rock
I asked this on the colored gem board, but after 50 views, no replies. I have read a number of halo posts on this board, thought I would try here, since my question is diamond related. :)

I have a 13 x 10 oval AAA blue sapphire that has been in my anniversary ring for years surrounded by a double halo. The 'inner' halo and sapphire fell out of the ring when we were in the mountains a few months ago and the jeweler I took it to for repair RUINED it and says he cannot fix it now because the halo is too delicate given how much gold he used to anchor them together.

I've gotten over the fact that my ring is ruined and need to have it reset but want something a bit different since DH and I have to go to the expense of a new ring anyway. I'd like a single halo and go halfway or all the way around the shank with diamonds. I keep finding tiny stones in halo settings, but want something more substantial without going 'big'. One jeweler wanted me to do 3mm rounds, but that was too Princess Diana for me. I am thinking 3 or 4 pt stones in the halo and 5-7 pt stones in the shank. I want the halo to 'float' around the sapphire vs. being on a ledge of visible platinum.

This afternoon I am meeting with a jewelry designer who would like me to come with my best initial description so he can build me a CAD model. I have spent the better part of yesterday reading on these forums and there is a lot of very good knowledge here, I would really like to hear your input.

I have big hands, size 11 1/4 finger and not a small stone in the center, so would like your thoughts on stone size for the halo and shank and does it make a difference to you if the stones go all the way around or only halfway when determining size? The shank will be at least 2mm in width, I am leaning towards 3mm.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd recommend one of the outstanding ring designers whose rings are shown on this forum: Steven Kirsch or Victor Canerra. Do a search on here and see examples because their work is exquisite around and they could certainly advise you.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkly,

There's so much personal taste that goes into these decisions. Since you're working with a CAD designer, let her know what you've told us. She can draft it in CAD first without creating the wax model. She can also re-design and create alternatives based on what you might like.

Feel free to set up a poll on PS, and post the CAD pictures. We can vote if you still need any help making a decision after seeing the CAD models. Plus, the nice thing with CADs is that once you're pretty set on a design, a wax model will be created for you to try on. If you hate it, it's still possible to tweak with the design at that point as well.

Just to add - only because you stated you wanted the diamonds to "float". I assume you mean you want little metal around the diamond. Sometimes, this may accomplished better with a handmade setting with an accomplished benchperson (if it's pave you want, I'm not sure from your post).

Sparkly_Not_Gaudy

Rough_Rock
Thanks much! I was very impressed with the jeweler I met with today. He had a few cases of pieces he has designed and his style matched mine very well. I showed him photos of what I like and what I do not like and he is going to provide me with CAD views and then I will be able to tweak until we get exactly what my minds eye sees.

Thanks again to each of you for responding! And I will post photos once it is done, as it seems to be the 'rule' here. :)

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, definitely the "rule" - pictures are a must!

That's great to hear you had a good experience. I can't wait to see it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results