shape
carat
color
clarity

How does the cut look?

noobiediamond

Rough_Rock
Hello!!

I am struggling to find out how to convert the stats below into something I can put in the HCA or other cut tools. Could any of you help me out to tell me if this diamond has excellent, very good or just good cut by the stats below?

I've seen it and it does shine nicely but maybe could do better?

Carat 1.21
Shape is round: 6.85 - 6.82 X 4.18
Depth - 61.2%
Table - 59%
Crown Height - 14%
Pavilion Depth - 43%
Girdle - Medium, faceted
Cutlet - none

Excellent polish and symmetry. I can see the Hearts and Arrows but it is not a branded stone.

Thanks for the help in advance. This sight rocks!!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
HCA says

Light Return: Excellent
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation: Excellent
Spread: Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.4 - Excellent
within TIC range

but % are less reliable than angles. What lab graded the stone?

noobiediamond

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response!!

It is EGL Intl lab graded. I know those are less reliable but for the size of stone my gf wants and my budget I think I might need to go with EGL and try to find a good looker out of the EGL bunch. The stone is rated D color, and SI1 but I would say SI2 is more realistic for sure based on the feather location. With the D color I am confident it is still on the colorless range even if F instead of D. However, it shows super white. Price is $4,900.

brina_ca

Rough_Rock
noobiediamond|1302546367|2893369 said:

It is EGL Intl lab graded. I know those are less reliable but for the size of stone my gf wants and my budget I think I might need to go with EGL and try to find a good looker out of the EGL bunch. The stone is rated D color, and SI1 but I would say SI2 is more realistic for sure based on the feather location. With the D color I am confident it is still on the colorless range even if F instead of D. However, it shows super white. Price is $4,900.

Wow, the price is really nice

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
brina_ca|1302547467|2893387 said:
noobiediamond|1302546367|2893369 said:

Wow, the price is really nice
there are many reasons for that low price ... ;)) there are no Santa Claus in the diamond business.. ;))

noobiediamond

Rough_Rock
Hi Dancing Fire,

Do you think there is something I am missing? I understand I don't have the diamond to show you and compare but based on your knowledge what would make the price so low with the stats as they are. One thing to note is that the stone has been sitting around for awhile as it was certified back in April 2010.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EGL grades can be a few grades higher than the grades the same diamond would get from GIA or AGS.

Look in a large database (such as Bluenile.com) and find out what color and clarity grades a GIA or AGS-graded Ideal 1.21 ct round $4900 would buy.
I'll bet those are the grades this stone would get from GIA, not D SI1.

It is an outrage but these off labs get away with over-grading stones.
Zillions of uninformed buyers fall for it and think they are getting those grades for a lower price.

GIA and AGS stones are not more expensive; they are just correctly graded.

noobiediamond

Rough_Rock
Hi Kenny, Can cut grades be vastly off from GIA and AGS too? The cut seems to have more math behind it than a subjective color comparison.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
noobiediamond|1302550811|2893451 said:
Hi Kenny, Can cut grades be vastly off from GIA and AGS too? The cut seems to have more math behind it than a subjective color comparison.

IMHO HCA trumps both GIA and AGS cut grades and of course the cut grades from the off-labs too.
That said the AGS top cut grade is more respectable than GIA's.

GIA's top cut grade is industry-friendly in that it allows diamonds that are cut too deeply to have optimum light performance.
Sellers LOVE this because they can make more money from the same piece of rough than the can cutting it for AGS's top cut grade.

Plug in the following 4 numbers into HCA: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca
Depth %
Table %
Crown angle in degrees
Pavilion angle in degrees.

Reject stones that score over 2.
Get an Idealscope pic for those that score under 2.

Idealscope:
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/ideal-scope

Compare Idealscope pics to this chart:

http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_reference_chart.asp

If your vendor won't give you IS pics, find one who will.
Finding a well-cut round is easy compared to other cuts.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
noobiediamond|1302545522|2893355 said:
Hello!!

I am struggling to find out how to convert the stats below into something I can put in the HCA or other cut tools. Could any of you help me out to tell me if this diamond has excellent, very good or just good cut by the stats below?

I've seen it and it does shine nicely but maybe could do better?

Carat 1.21
Shape is round: 6.85 - 6.82 X 4.18
Depth - 61.2%
Table - 59%
Crown Height - 14%
Pavilion Depth - 43%
Girdle - Medium, faceted
Cutlet - none

Excellent polish and symmetry. I can see the Hearts and Arrows but it is not a branded stone.

Thanks for the help in advance. This sight rocks!!!

Percent is far less precise than angle report - play around w/ GIA's facetware https://www.gia.edu/facetware/dsp_registration.cfm and you find that a stone w/ 59% table, 3.5% girdle thickness, crown 33.5-35 will round to 14%, pavilion 40.6-41 will round to 43% - and the numbers on the report have already been averaged around eight sections of diamond.

So you are dealing with a LOT of uncertainty in those numbers, I would not buy w/o having your vendor look it over, getting some photos, & having it shipped out to inspect in-person.

average around 8 sections of diamond, then round by percent point, and percent is already less precise than angle report so... you are dealing with a *lot* of unknowns.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results