carat
color
clarity

Help Help Help! :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've fallen in love with a gem but ............... it's a heart cut. :(sad

I do own heart cuts but never seem to wear them as they're a bit "girly" for me BUT I REALLY REALLY REALLY want this particular gem - it's unusual and is calling me LOUDLY.

Sooooooooooooo, please help. If you were to buy a heart cut how would you set it? I'd love to get some inspiration and that just make me use my hubby's credit card! :lol:

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any chance it could be recut? You'd lose a good deal of ct weight but if you're not a fan of heart cuts I doubt it will grow on you.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately not ;( It's quite small (and valuable) so it's not a candidate for a recut. In all honesty it's a very pretty heart cut (very symmetrical etc) so as far as hearts go, it's better than most!

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LovingDiamonds|1301685180|2885361 said:
Unfortunately not ;( It's quite small (and valuable) so it's not a candidate for a recut. In all honesty it's a very pretty heart cut (very symmetrical etc) so as far as hearts go, it's better than most!

Can you have your goldsmith put a prong - maybe with a diamond in it - that will disguise the cleft?

Cheers,

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I need more details. In order to really help you.

ct weight, dimensions, color...etc.

I WANNA SEE IT!! :D

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I share your feelings on most heart cuts, but....sometimes you have to do what you have to do! You may have not liked heart cuts because you were waiting for this particular one :naughty: .

Is it a color and shape that would allow you to set it in a way that played up its resemblance to a leaf-shape? I've seen that done occasionally, and it can be a very pretty look.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
What if you set it sideways or semi-bypass style? I like the leaf idea too.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Could you set it in a way that would make it seem as though it's not a heart? For example, if the hearts were situated upside down with the points toward the center, it would look like a flower (petals on a flower). The single stone could be the focal point and each of the remaining petals are either solid metal with a diamond center.

I'm not crafty enough to photoshop it, but that's what's in my head.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooooo I'm liking the idea of a leaf shape or a strategically placed diamond to hide the cleft! Mmmmmmm! Any piccies to share to show me your thoughts please?

Brandy I can't share at the moment because I haven't pulled the trigger. I need to be sure because it's not a cheap purchase. However, it's my birthday in 3 weeks (and Mother's Day in the UK on Sunday) so .............

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get another heart the same size, and set them side by side to make a butterfly!! Nah, I thought it might work though :lol:

Well, can you at least tell us what kind of gem it is? Alexandrite, spinels, tourmaline, other??????

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover|1301688480|2885410 said:
Get another heart the same size, and set them side by side to make a butterfly!! Nah, I thought it might work though :lol:

Well, can you at least tell us what kind of gem it is? Alexandrite, spinels, tourmaline, other??????

No!

As for your butterfly ....... :shock: Whilst it's inventive, I'm not entirely sure I'd ever be able to go out in public again! Did you see Mariah Carey's drawing of a half pink/half blue butterfly on her pregnant tummy? I had to wonder why!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1301688756|2885412 said:

No!

As for your butterfly ....... :shock: Whilst it's inventive, I'm not entirely sure I'd ever be able to go out in public again! Did you see Mariah Carey's drawing of a half pink/half blue butterfly on her pregnant tummy? I had to wonder why!

Did you ever see the jewelry collection she pawns on the Home Shopping Network? :errrr:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover|1301688842|2885414 said:

No!

Did you ever see the jewelry collection she pawns on the Home Shopping Network? :errrr:

Thankfully no! Apologies to all MC fans.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
<---- not a Mariah Carey fan myself :lol:

I have no clue how durable your mystery stone is. Picture the heart turned sideways when viewing the pearl setting.

The last pic of the pendant is interesting. I kinda liked it and then decided it looked too much like a uterus with dangly balls. :nono:

82b53ee69ddd6d7fc56ae2f609cde6e0.jpg

EVA-LDY-02_Ren_SS---_O-_P.png

14k-white-gold-9-10mm-tahitian-pearl-09ct-diamond-twist-ring-p24654-3-1.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
pendant, upside down so it looks like cleavage, or a derriere, or a double teardrop instead of a heart

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So basically I've got the choice of uterus, cleavage or derriere! :lol:

You guys crack me up!

Setting it sideways might be an option if I can think of a way to disguise its shape! BTW it's fairly durable so I'm not worried about putting it in a ring.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well if its NOT an April Fools joke, I guess I would have to see it. Heart shapes are OK, I just don't want to own any :bigsmile:

hm..

I say whatever it is, set it in Rose Gold.

:lol:

-A

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I could have lived forever without seeing that last pendant Brandy posted :-o I wish I could stop thinking about what the two stones on the bottom represent. :shock:

You know, LD, I thought I had saved some photos in my idea folder that used heart shaped stones in a leaf motif, but I couldn't find them. I do remember that the heart was tilted, with the notched, wider end set beside another contrasting stone, so the overall (subtle) effect was a flower and leaf. Where is Paint when I need it?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree, the uterus pendant will live with me for a long time too! :lol:

I really like the idea that you've suggested Aoife - I just can't visualise how it would be set???? If you can find the picture I'd be very grateful.

Vapid - I promise it's not an April Fools thread. I really have found a heart shaped gem I love but not the cut :-o

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1301688842|2885414 said:

No!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Uterus pendant... made my day.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone had a heart shape diamond they had set in a bezel ring. I thought it turned out really nice. It looked like it would
be fun to wear with jeans and at other "fun" times.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1301691261|2885453 said:
I have to agree, the uterus pendant will live with me for a long time too! :lol:

I really like the idea that you've suggested Aoife - I just can't visualise how it would be set???? If you can find the picture I'd be very grateful.

Vapid - I promise it's not an April Fools thread. I really have found a heart shaped gem I love but not the cut :-o

I have been driving myself crazy looking for the photos I had, but I have finally decided they must be in my folder on our old computer. Which is sitting in a box in our garage. I think they were photos of either older or vintage settings. I did a quick search of Lang's, Dover, etc, and couldn't find anything. But I'll keep looking.

How big is the gemstone you're considering?

pixies

Shiny_Rock
I'm not normally a heart-shaped stone fan but the more i think about it, the more I like the project potential. I think the leaf-bezel idea is a good one. Also, a heart-shaped gem could be fashioned to look like a strawberry! It sounds kitsch, but it could work/be cute! I love this Caleb Meyer pendant and could picture a heart-shaped stone in a setting like this.

You could have the whole bezel look like one leaf and have the stem be the bail (or strawberry it up!) I'd rock it! It really depends on the color of the stone though (to me)...

2284.jpg

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I would set it in embedded/bezel on top of a puffy diamond pave heart pendant.

tefutefu

Rough_Rock
I like the leaf idea but I couldn't find any pictures for it ;(

I found this though, makes it look like an apple/some kind of fruit =)

PaveLeafHeartPendant.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the suggestions. Please keep them coming.

The heart I'm considering has dimensions of 5.1 x 5.9 x 4.0 so it's quite deep. I like the idea of having some form of metal perhaps going over the cleft but I have a horrible feeling that it will dwarf the gem itself.

So .......... please do keep posting photos and suggestions and thanks for all your help with this project. xxx

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Now that I have seen your beautiful gem, I don't think of it as a leaf.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results