shape
carat
color
clarity

Meet Ms. Pomegranate!

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Ms. Pomegranate is a 3/4 ct. pyrope garnet from Gemvara set in 18k yellow gold.
I felt like buying something affordable and fun for myself. I may end up loving this setting so much, that the SO can just get a diamond to put into it. :) The profile of the ring happens to look like 'M' which is his initial. He likes it a lot too.

ring0.jpg
ring1_6.jpg

The workmanship isn't bad. It isn't perfect mind you...one of the prongs is every so slightly higher than the rest as you can tell from the table down shot, but it's much better than most. The ring itself is constructed solidly. No hallowed out sections and the back of the band is slightly thicker to keep the stone upright. All the edges are finished smoothly.

Packaging was great. It came via Fed Ed free shipping in a lacquered box the same color as my garnet!
ring_19.jpg

I'm impressed by the color and cut of the stone. Not too brown like most pyrope garnets. It's a lovely shade of deep wine-pomegranate red that holds its color in full lighting and shade. In incandescent lighting, it's more red. Very nice!
ring5_1.jpg
ring4_3.jpg

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Love the setting, the M thing is so funny! I usually don't like things set high off the finger but this setting works!
Plus it let's plenty of light onto that garnet

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty, and solidly built, too. She looks great on your finger!

I think you may be the first to post about buying from Gemvara... would you mind linking to the setting on their website? And do they give you any information about the stone? I've been curious about some of their sapphire and diamond bands... Thanks!

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Here's the page:
http://www.gemvara.com/Round-Diamond-White-Gold-Ring-by-Jeet-Palavwala/jewelry/v/955777/

You can customize it pretty easily using their interface. The whole site features CAD renderings. I'm not sure if they will eventually add real photos. It was pretty close with the exception of the pointed prongs. Yes, it is kind of high off the finger, but due to the design, it doesn't seem to catch.

I didn't find much on Gemvara on this forum. I think they are relatively new. I went ahead and purchased something affordable.

The stone quality isn't bad at all. It's 6mm and the color is pretty good. It appears to be a standard commercial cut though (those typically have flatter crowns and deeper pavillions to enhance color)
What I like is that they use recycled gold.

I haven't seen close up examples of their diamonds. From what I read on someone's blog is that the mele is in the SI1-2 range.
I did see a photo of one of their sapphire pieces and it looked like a true blue.

briolette

Shiny_Rock
I realized I remembered the carat wrong. I went back to look at my order and it is .90 cts.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
briolette|1301524692|2883780 said:
Here's the page:
http://www.gemvara.com/Round-Diamond-White-Gold-Ring-by-Jeet-Palavwala/jewelry/v/955777/

You can customize it pretty easily using their interface. The whole site features CAD renderings. I'm not sure if they will eventually add real photos. It was pretty close with the exception of the pointed prongs. Yes, it is kind of high off the finger, but due to the design, it doesn't seem to catch.

I didn't find much on Gemvara on this forum. I think they are relatively new. I went ahead and purchased something affordable.

The stone quality isn't bad at all. It's 6mm and the color is pretty good. It appears to be a standard commercial cut though (those typically have flatter crowns and deeper pavillions to enhance color)
What I like is that they use recycled gold.

I haven't seen close up examples of their diamonds. From what I read on someone's blog is that the mele is in the SI1-2 range.
I did see a photo of one of their sapphire pieces and it looked like a true blue.

Thanks for giving more info. I like their interface a lot and am tempted by some of the designs, but I was curious about the stone quality. Your stone looks good! I was looking over their FAQs to see what they guarantee about stone. Did your ring come with a GIA or AGS report? (I don't mean to take the fun out of this - I'm just excited that someone bought from them so we all get to see!)

briolette

Shiny_Rock
The larger diamonds do come with GIA and AGS papers (which often you can view online), but no, my stone did not. Pyrope Garnet is really inexpensive and plentiful so rarely do you see a GIA cert attached to it. You could ask about their sapphires, rubies and emeralds and see if it comes with a cert.

Given the standard shapes of stones available and the mix-match nature of the product, I would guess that the colored stones are commercially cut for the most part, but I'm not 100% sure.

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Gemvara just asked me if they could use some of my photos! I am so excited. :)

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty ring and garnet, nice color! :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone and I really love that setting!!!
It is very fluid.

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Jeet Palawala was the designer on this one.
I agree, it's very fluid. It feels nice on the hand and the shank is pretty substantial actually. Close to 3 mm in back so it is weighted nicely to keep the stone upright.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
briolette|1301674312|2885191 said:
Gemvara just asked me if they could use some of my photos! I am so excited. :)

Oooh! That's thrilling!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ms. Pomegranate is lovely and her home fits her perfectly!

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I really like that setting! If it bugged you, do they have a good return policy to get the one prong fixed? Just curious. The stone looks very nice, too.

briolette

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Ladies!
They actually have a really good return policy and good customer service.
I figured this is a temporary stone....eventually we'll put a diamond in there, so that'll be when the prong gets evened out. Really you can't see it. It's just the table-down photo that shows it off.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Really love that setting! ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results