shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help Me Find ANOTHER Bubblegum Ring

iLander

Ideal_Rock
So I want another one! :appl:

Another bubblegum ring, like the kind you get from the cheap machines for a quarter (a nickel in the old days). :love:

Big round stone, 7 mm plus, ANY COLOR, as long as it's a pure hue and bright. And under $100, please.

Here's the hard part; I think the stone has to be slightly sleepy, to give it the glowy look I'm after. Included is fine too, as long as it glows. Even opaque is okay, if the color is shockingly bright.

I'm enjoying the red one so much, I want to do some in other bright, gaudy, colors ('tis a gift to be simple :bigsmile: )

Has anybody seen one in their travels around the net lately?

The original bubblegum ring thread is here [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-bubblegum-ring-is-set.153383/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-bubblegum-ring-is-set.153383/[/URL] if you'd like more background.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
My first thought was the brightest green or yellow sphene you could find!

Example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NATURAL-3-17CT-FLASH-RED-SPHENE-MULTI-5A-OVAL-RUSSIAN-/290550522685?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a629233d

I got my sphene from exportgems and I'm extremely happy with it. I know some are squeamish to wear such a soft stone in a ring... but I've been wearing mine once a week or so (haha, since december mind you!) without issue.

I think the popular opinion is that green sphene is less likely two "brown-out" than yellow sphene

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sphene isn't a normal one that most people put into rings because they really are a very soft stone, so an experienced setter who has dealt with softer stones is a must!

I tend to like the yellowish green ones, much like my avatar. IMO, sphene in every body color has a sparkle that has to be seen to be believed.

So while I (and a few other crazy folk) may wear them in rings, I'm going to caution using these stones especially for any type of daily wear rings. Mine goes out to dinner at most...lol I know, thats quite sad but if I want to keep it year after year its the approach I have to take.

But they're theoretically a great idea for someone who wouldn't wear it too often.

-A

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Since you said opaque is ok, how about a bright apple-green chrysoprase? I have one from Uli's ebay auctions, and it really glows.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
@VAPID: OmG! Flashback! I had the Mickey ring! Cool to see it again. :appl:

@MAEBELLE: I hadn't thought of sphene, that's not a bad idea!

@ARCADIAN: If it's cheap enough, I'll be brave like you and give it a shot. :bigsmile:

@ JSTARFIREB: Chrysoprase will work, I'll add that to my hunt list!

For Everybody; This quest is actually hard than it sounds, check out the saturation on these things:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dazzle-Rings-Vending-Machine-Capsules-DISPLAY-/180440604490?pt=BI_Vending&hash=item2a03191f4a#ht_500wt_843

These are the new version, though. In the bad old days, they didn't have a warning on them. Seems everything's got a warning now. :rolleyes:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
@VAPID; Where the heck was that red garnet when I was doing the original ring? I'm going to go through the rest of that site, I've never seen it before. And what the heck is that on Litnon? Never heard of it, definitely going to look that one up.

ETA Hmmm, some nice peridots on litnon, too. Apatite would be great, but I never see that in a round . . .

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander, have you thought of a big blue topaz?

They're irradiated but not a big deal unless you hate those types of stones. (they can be quite pretty too)

Mastercutgems still has some large ones for not too much. (they're not round though..could ask if he has any??)

The other option is amythyst. its also generally not terribly expensive either. ACStones has a round (its over your budget) but they have an oval that isn't (sure is pretty)

I've always said that I wish sphenes were harder. I've got like 6 pieces now and I love the stuff...Just too bad that my setter didn't :lol: The ones I know charge extra for setting it, its that much of a PITA. So if you go for it, you know you better post it :mrgreen: (whatever you set it in, just make sure the prongs are not too heavy, mkay?)

-A

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I second a bright green chrysophrase cab! You can even get one faceted.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
iLander - you are just too cute! Your second bubble gum ring quest cracked me up. I love your spirit. :appl:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Re: Chrysoprase, Uli doesn't have any up for auction right now, but keep an eye out. This is the 9mm chrysoprase I got from his auction for about $30 IIRC.

chrysoprase-osiris-marlborough-aust-1.79ct-8.9x4.7.jpg

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock

iLander

Ideal_Rock
@Arcadian; Not crazy about the topaz, but I do like the amethyst idea! As far as "the setter" for any stone, it's going to be me! :naughty: Well . . . actually, my husband, but don't tell him yet.

@sphenequeen; Yup, definitely gonna check out the chrystophase

@dragonfly; ain't VL a hoot?

@Tanzigirl; thank you! :bigsmile:

@LD; Well, pants! :lol: That cracked me up! Love the colors on those, I am hunting for rounds as we speak.

@jstarfireb; That is so COOL! Exactly what I'm talking about! I will lurk his auctions, now, maybe email him. What are you going to do with yours?

@wakingdream; That's awesome color, I hadn't even thought of chrome diopside! I figured pure green was out of my price range, thank you! I also had no idea amazonite even existed, you are a font of knowledge!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Glad you like it! I set it in a tube bezel ring with a twist band by kyleannemetals on Etsy, sized for my index finger (my biggest finger).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results