shape
carat
color
clarity

$500 on any piece of jewelry

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
If you had about $500 to spend on a piece of jewelry (say, not-so-hypothetically, on a 30th birthday gift...hehe), what would you get?

I'm really not sure at all what I want and everything I like tends to be super expensive (like, thousands rather than hundreds)...

Any and all suggestions are welcome!!!

(sorry, I accidentally first posted this in SMTB--shows you where I lurk the most, huh?)

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I'd probably find a really pretty stacking band. ;))

sparkly526

Rough_Rock
Me, Personally....I would go to Tiffany's and get a nice silver piece...maybe a bracelet or necklace. I have had my silver pieces for over a decade still wear them and love love love them all.

April20

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411|1301495324|2883425 said:
I'd probably find a really pretty stacking band. ;))

I second this. You could get something really cool that could go with what you already have and bling it up a notch.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
alli_esq|1301495067|2883421 said:
I'm really not sure at all what I want and everything I like tends to be super expensive (like, thousands rather than hundreds)...

Oh, man, do I know what you mean ....

I think it sort of depends on what kind of an "experience" you want. Generally, I'm a big bargain shopper, so I tend to hunt and hunt and hunt and get the best possible deal for my money (and, if that's the case, toss out some general things you like and I'll be happy to help - gold? platinum? choice of stone? etc.).

That said, for a big-ticket birthday, I'd be tempted to do something really luxe, so ... maybe something like a charm from Tiffany's? I tend to think a lot of their stuff is overpriced, but some of the charms are, well, charming! Just one example .... http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/Ite...ms=s+2-p+41-c+288216-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+-k+ And that way you can have the indulgent experience of wandering in, walking out swinging the little blue bag, etc.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
oh boy, did I come to the right place on this one :)

Circe--those charms ARE charming!! Hehe...but I actually have a charm bracelet that is literally COMPLETELY filled (like, to the point that I don't even wear it hardly at all because it's like, heavy, hahahah)..but those are very pretty--thanks for the idea!

I loooove the idea of a thin stacking band--my hubby got me an aquamarine ring (aqua from Jeff White, setting from BGD--think: poor man's version of Ellen's gorgeous aqua ring) and I'd love a thin stacking band to wear with it...but I haven't seen anything I like...do you have any ideas? I've looked around a bit but I'm sure I've missed things...

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
alli - do you have a picture of the aquamarine band? I'd love to help hunt!

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Well, it's not a band--it's just a ring with an aqua set in it...maybe with a stacking band it would look too engagement/wedding-set-y??? I wear them on my right hand though...

Here is a bad blurry shot of the ring in question and a couple of the ones from BGD...

aqua ring.jpg

BGDaqua1.jpg

BGDaqua2.jpg

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Do you want a completed piece of jewelry? If not, I might go after a fun new colored stone.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I do feel like a band might make it look wedding set ish... but what if you did a band on another finger? Same hand?

OR you could find a similar stone to set in a pendant to make a set!

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
I do wear my wedding set every day (I also wear my aqua every day) so I'm not sure it would bother me if it looked too wedding set-ish...

I'm not much of a matchy matchy person so I don't know how much I'd really wear a pendant...

I was also thinking about a bracelet or something...hrm, I don't know...

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
dragonfly411|1301500639|2883500 said:
I do feel like a band might make it look wedding set ish... but what if you did a band on another finger? Same hand?

OR you could find a similar stone to set in a pendant to make a set!

Ditto this ....

I know ID Jewelry has made some lovely stacking bands, alternating gems with diamonds in bezels, though I'm not sure what the exact prices are. This page looks like it should give you a LOT of in-budget options, though .... http://idjewelryonline.com/index.php?cPath=22_53&sort=2a&&noitems=21&page=5

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
alli! My 30th is coming up in April, too, and I have a sparkly thing on the way. :wink2:

With $500, you could get a stacking ring collection going. E-weddingbands has some in your price range: http://e-weddingbands.com/store/petite-diamond-bands.html or one of ID jewelry's sapphire stackable rings. Just search "sapphire stackable" and most are $450. http://idjewelryonline.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=sapphire+stackable&x=0&y=0

.25 carat bezel pendant from ID jewelry is close to your price range, too: http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_74&products_id=532

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
i second the Blue Nile rose gold pink sapphire stacking ring!! That is so pretty! Happy Birthday alli_esq

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have diamond studs? Seems like those make a nice 30th b-day marking point.

I'm not sure what else, but would think a classic piece you can wear for many years makes the most sense (even a diamond pendant that is bezel set?).

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
ohhh there are some great stacking bands on there, Circe! thanks!!!

I have a bezel diamond pendant, but the studs that I'd be able to get for around $500 would be so small I don't think it would be worth it (I have relatively long, thick hair, so I need something with a little presence to be seen on my ears)...but yeah, I agree that I'd like something classic--that's typically my style--simple, classic pieces that can be worn with a lot of different types of clothing...also, my mom has pretty 2ctw round studs that I can borrow whenever I want, so I don't think anything I could afford would compare to those...

only problem is that $500 isn't that much imo to get something substantial...and I feel like yet another piece of silver jewelry won't be that special for a 30th bday.

I rarely buy anything for myself so this might just be a treat for me from me. DH and I are saving for other things and I don't think I'll be getting an expensive gift this year from him, especially since he really splurged for our 1st anniversary on this aqua ring...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
alli_esq|1301503956|2883553 said:
only problem is that $500 isn't that much imo to get something substantial...and I feel like yet another piece of silver jewelry won't be that special for a 30th bday.
quote]

Maybe just stash the $ and wait a few months till you have more? I always have been a fan of wanting something THEN saving up for it vs. having the $ and trying to find something that fits in that budget, you know?

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
we're on a pretty tight budget and $500 is sort of pushing it as it is...I just would like something to mark my 30th birthday, but maybe $500 isn't really enough to buy something I'll really enjoy.

Not the end of the world! Just figured I'd get some ideas here :)

Boogins

Rough_Rock

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Would you wear a pinky ring? I love them, have 2 -- one a simple engraved gold band w/no stone, the other wg shank with a tiny ruby set in a yg bezel. A stacking band with or without stone would work great & be small enough that you could find one for your price.

$500 could also buy you a very nice stone from a lot of PS vendors; then you'd only have to pay for the setting.

--- Laurie

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
I am with tyty, I would probably get some nice huggies from ID jewelry. I am already considering a pair as an option for my upcoming birthday :naughty: . They have quite a selection in that price range, or you could go for a stacker ring.

They also have diamond pendants in their 'fashion pendants' category that are around 500$ and gorgeous. I would say they are a great place to shop if you are on a budget. Lastly, indylady got a pair of gorgeous 'ready to go' diamond studs 50tcw for about 450$ as far as I recall.

So you see, spoiled for choice! :appl:

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
My Daniel M/Bob Kast green tourmaline in white gold project was $325. you could get a very nice colored stone ring with that budget.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Alli! Did we ever hear back from you on your ering process? Would love to know what you got!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results