shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a Spessartite

ked123

Rough_Rock
I am on the hunt for a 8 mm cushion cut Spessartite- if possible, with the lovely "fanta" orange color. This board has been a great resource and I've been checking the websites of many of the vendors mentioned (Precision Gems, Gemfix, etc.). It's been several weeks, and I've yet to see anything at all meeting these rough specifications (not to mention even taking quality of the stone into account). I've seen vendors with a lovely collection of Spessartite- just not in the cut or size I would need. Maybe I am not looking in the right places or going about my search in the right way?

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to specific vendors I should keep checking back with? Some people have mentioned gem shows- is this a good resource and how would I find one near me?

Thanks again for your help!

ked123

Rough_Rock
PS: I've also been combing ebay, but not sure about the reliability of some of the vendors. I found something meeting my basic specs, but the picture wasn't all that impressive, and the vendor was in Thailand. It seemed a bit fishy to me.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes it can take more than a year to find the right stone, in the right color, shape and size. Looking for that perfect colored gem that meets strict requirements isn't like ordering up a white diamond, so just beware it might take a while before you find what you like. You may return a few stones in the meantime as well.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Fanta" spess are very very very difficult to find. Most spess are either too brown or too yellow.

The one that Minous has linked to (for me) is waaaaaaaay too brown but hey, it's personal taste, right?

As TL has rightly said, you need to dig in for a long wait I'm afraid. Be patient and the right one will come along but also be warned, when they come up, there's fierce competition to get them.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm also going to say look around and take your time. Ask as many questions as you need to. I had to narrow down exactly what I wanted and was looking for. Now, granted, I went the unconventional way but it worked for me. I couldn't afford the safety orange I wanted as it would blow up the gem budget for a few years :lol:

You're looking for a needle in a haystack, so be patient. I saw a lot of stones over time and I had to dump all of them sans the one I got.

I will say this about the stone I received from swala; it was lighter than the picture, not by a whole lot, just a bit. So its imperative to ask Eric if there's brown in there or not.

This one is very nice. Its very orange, though I don't know its size (price is up there though)
http://www.swalagemtraders.com/search-gems/detail.php?pid=574&cPage=3&sort=&perpage=8&cat=&display1=1&display2=&display3=0&category=&variety=&key=&match=&indicate=&reserve_type=&pagefrom=search

I don't know if its available or not.

another option:

http://www.moregems.com/products/mandarin-spessartite-garnet-cushion.html

I've spoken to them about a few gems, though not this one in particular. They've always been gracious in getting back with me. It could be worth speaking to them about this one if you're interested.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1300999986|2879359 said:
"Fanta" spess are very very very difficult to find. Most spess are either too brown or too yellow.

Or both brown and yellow, and what I call "nasty ocre color." :knockout:

Beware, most dealers will call any spessartite, "mandarin" or "fanta," and not all spessartites are that neon orange color. In the end, you should buy what you like, but I think mandarin spessartites are one of those stones you should see in person to truly appreciate how saturated and neon orange they can get, before you purchase.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
re: Moriarty's Gem Art and that particular spess.., I contacted Steve about that gem when I was looking. It isn't American cut but he will (and does) have more spess that is. I would definitely say contacting him is worth it. I ended up going with a smaller gem from Doug @ Bespoke but I love the cut and am eager to see the colour IRL.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What, too brown you say?!! Don't you realize that I received a perfect score on Lady_Disdain's color test?!! (you just knew some folks would get all uppity once they did well on that test, huh?)

I see what you mean about the brown, LD, but for some reason, when it comes to orange, I don't mind it. But pure orange it is not. Arcadian's link is pretty orange though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those who cannot see pricing, the stone MB linked to is around $1800. The second Swala stone Arc linked to is $2300. Finding the right spessartite will take time, especially if you want top pure orange and that specific 8 mm cushion. Also be prepared to fork out at least $2K and upwards unless you are willing to chance it on eBay.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1301054552|2879861 said:
For those who cannot see pricing, the stone MB linked to is around $1800. The second Swala stone Arc linked to is $2300. Finding the right spessartite will take time, especially if you want top pure orange and that specific 8 mm cushion. Also be prepared to fork out at least $2K and upwards unless you are willing to chance it on eBay.

Included stones run far less, especially if they show visible inclusions. You can still get the great orange color, even in included stones. That's an option if one is on a budget.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian|1301001193|2879386 said:
I'm also going to say look around and take your time. Ask as many questions as you need to. I had to narrow down exactly what I wanted and was looking for. Now, granted, I went the unconventional way but it worked for me. I couldn't afford the safety orange I wanted as it would blow up the gem budget for a few years :lol:

You're looking for a needle in a haystack, so be patient. I saw a lot of stones over time and I had to dump all of them sans the one I got.

I will say this about the stone I received from swala; it was lighter than the picture, not by a whole lot, just a bit. So its imperative to ask Eric if there's brown in there or not.

This one is very nice. Its very orange, though I don't know its size (price is up there though)
http://www.swalagemtraders.com/search-gems/detail.php?pid=574&cPage=3&sort=&perpage=8&cat=&display1=1&display2=&display3=0&category=&variety=&key=&match=&indicate=&reserve_type=&pagefrom=search

I don't know if its available or not.

another option:

http://www.moregems.com/products/mandarin-spessartite-garnet-cushion.html

I've spoken to them about a few gems, though not this one in particular. They've always been gracious in getting back with me. It could be worth speaking to them about this one if you're interested.

-A

You've gotten some excellent advice from TL, Chrono, Arcadian, MB and all, but you've also chosen a real challenge in terms of color! Eric at Swala once told me that in his opinion most spessartites have an element of brown in them, so if you are looking for that neon orange the estimate of a year is conservative!

Edited once for accuracy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1301061553|2879937 said:
Arcadian|1301001193|2879386 said:
Eric at Swala once told me that in his opinion most spessartites have an element of brown in them

Most do, but not some that I've seen, especially Andrew Sarosi's Nambians, but they are very expensive. There are facet shadows that can show some brown in some spessartites, as dark orange is brown, but that's not the same thing as a brown modifier. A good test is this, if it can be mistaken for a citrine, take a pass. The best spessartites actually really do look like the color of Fanta orange soda as in this photo below, although some people don't believe me. That's why I say, go try to find good ones to view in person.

fanta2.jpg

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1301061978|2879943 said:
That's why I say, go try to find good ones to view in person.
Amen to that! That is the only way you'll know for sure. The danger with that is then you know what they could be and then there will be a lot of stones that just don't do it for you anymore... ;(

ked123

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone:

Thanks for all the feedback and leads. My budget was around $1k for the stone, but I'm willing to go a bit upwards from there.

Whatever I spend, it will be less than the $11K Tiffany is charging for their Spessartite legacy ring! =)

I'll review the websites and let you guys know if I have any further questions. Thanks again.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
This one looks pretty, although the picture looks more towards the red side of orange than true orange. Can't beat the price for the size though.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to suggest that same on kismet! Eyeclean or near eyeclean is generally good enough for me. Gemline also has a very nice PS discount, or they did last time I purchased from them. Might be worth a looksee.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results