shape
carat
color
clarity

Bluenile.com & Mondera.com: Reputable places to buy from?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Audi_Fanatic

Rough_Rock
always been sketchy of buying something i cant see (especially diamonds)..how are these places? and how are there prices? everyones opinion please
1.gif

in_need_of_help

Shiny_Rock
Both are expensive in my opinion.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
I second that opinion. If you search the vendors on this site and compare their costs (and abundance of information available) with the costs at BN and Mondera (and the much smaller amount of info available) I think you might agree that you could do better elsewhere.

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
Yes, they are reputable companies. You can get better deals elsewhere, but you can buy from Blue Nile and Mondera knowing that you will not get ripped off.

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
I think the blanket statment that Blue Nile is "expensive" overlooks some very important considerations that one must take into account when buying an online diamond. For example, Bluenile offers a 30 day exchange period (while alot of others offer 7 to 14 days), free laser inscription on their signature series stones, and a free appraisal document for insurance purposes in addition to free shipping. They also don't charge a restocking fee on returned itmes. The merits and worth of these services/features are debatable but still relevant for an internet purchase. Putting these considerations aside, however, I would say that BN prices are actually very competitive and within say 5% of other vendors for comparable stones.
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These areally are the best and the biggest from the list I eft last night... It would be great if you cna get comparable info, otherwise, maybe GOG could find a stone inbetween, you never know.

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Be careful of their free appraisal. From what I have seen they are grossly inflated and you pay premiums on that figure. Most consumers think or feel once they see that appraisal, that they are getting a super deal....education, education! They also seem to have a deal with Chubb who is using these inflated amounts for insuring the piece with no questions asked. who is making out here? I think they both are very reputable as far as being secure to deal with and it may come down to comfort level for the consumer. Cindy

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Hello there,

I agree with derekinla. I have a Blue Nile stone and I am totally delighted with it and their service. You can follow my diamond search (which took about 4 months) by reading all of my posts on this forum - anything with stephcola in it.

I tried local stores first and eventually found Blue Nile - before I found Pricescope. For me, the had amazing customer service, and prices that I found to be better than anyone elses. I love that they own their stones so if you see one you like, they can actually pull it out and have their gemologists look at it. They can describe where the inclusions are and whether they are eye visable. If you see one you like, they will put in on hold. You can view the GIA certs (or AGS certs if applicable) on line and if you need a Sarin report, they will give it to you.

The 30 day return policy is a no questions asked return. I did return one stone and subsequently chose another. You have 30 days if you need it to stare at your diamond. I did contact everyone else the forum recommends but noone had exactly what I was looking for in my budget and size reqts. I sent my stone to Rich Sherwood who is one of the gem appraisers pricescope recommends and he gave my stone a great report!! You can look at my ring on yesterday's post -" stephcola's back and Rich gave me the thumbs up". This is a Blue Nile stone.

If you call Blue Nile - put in ext#7912 Steve - he's the best!!! In my case, Blue Nile had the best stone, great cut (not superideal), good color (H) clarity SI1 totally eyeclean in the nicest size and within my budget. I am a huge fan.

Good luck . If you need any more info you can send me a message on the forum.

P.S. Blue Nile does not give a free appraisal. They give you a bill of sale. For peace of mind - whoever you buy from, send the stone to either Rich Sherwood or Dave Atlas. They are both highly recommended by PS. Aside from just insurance purposess, you will have peace of mind that you have purchased the very best, or if it is a dud, you will hopefully know w/i the return period!!!!

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Last time I checked, BN actually does provide a free appraisal document (for insurance purposes) BUT ONLY IF you buy the stone and setting together. If you just buy the stone, they won't provide this. Whether or not the appraisal document is wildly inflated is up for debate. I was under the impression that most appraisals (not just BN) tend to be more generous than conservative.
1.gif

Thegroom

Rough_Rock
Though the appraisal that Bluenile provides is overly inflated, Chubb will insure the item for the purchase price so you don't overpay on your premiums. Plus, if you insure your bluenile purchase with Chubb, they give you the option for a cash settlement rather than replacement of the lost or damaged item.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 11/21/2003 1:54:47 AM derekinla wrote:

Bluenile offers a 30 day exchange period (while alot of others offer 7 to 14 days), free laser inscription on their signature series stones, and a free appraisal document for insurance purposes in addition to free shipping. They also don't charge a restocking fee on returned itmes. The merits and worth of these services/features are debatable but still relevant for an internet purchase.

----------------

I guess it's all in how one looks at things. If all those "free" things raise the price of the diamond by 10-15%, then I don't consider them *free*. I personally feel that bundling all of these features onto the price of the stone leaves me no choice to opt out of those that I don't want. I'd rather select a vendor where I can choose the features I want and pay only for those...which is usually cheaper in the long run than the "bundled" approach of BN.

While I agree that BN's return policy is longer than some, there are other vendors who offer 30-day return policies, and most offer them with no questions asked.....just as a note for the comparison shoppers.

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
You are right in that nothing is free!!! The cost of the laser inscription, appraisal document, 30 day inspection period etc..... are ALL part of a vendor's markup. I would argue, however, that the price differential is not quite 10-15%.......especially on BN's signature series AGS000 RB stones. As for the exchange period for internet purchases, just one more thing to keep in mind: In addition to the absolute number of days in a vendor's return policy, be sure to look for things like restocking fees, or the withholding of shipping costs from total refund amount.

camper

Rough_Rock
I'm with you on this one, Audi. I cannot buy a stone I haven't seen.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 11/21/2003 7:46:01 PM camper wrote:

I'm with you on this one, Audi. I cannot buy a stone I haven't seen.
----------------

Why not? ANYTHING can be bought sight unseen by smart shoppers who know how to utilize the return policy. It's really no big deal. If you pick a vendor that can communicate with you (get on the phone, ask them to eyeball the stone and tell you about it), this is sometimes even more informative then seeing it yourself!

I wouldn't buy a stone sight unseen with terms of "all sales final", but as long as there is a reasonable return policy, there's really no reason for concern. If you don't like what you see when it arrives, simply return it.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
There isn't a problem buying a diamond sight unseen if the Vendor is reputable and has a reasonable, no questions asked return/refund period. Many people on this Forum, including myself, have bought from Price Scope Vendors. It's an excellent way to improve quality of the diamond purchased and maximize your budget. Sales tax alone can be the cost of a simple setting.

Part of the inflation of price at BN (as compared to Vendors selling similar diamonds) is to cover inventory that floats around for nearly 30 days prior to return. Diamonds are not cheap inventory items especially when they aren't available for sale to other customers. Of course, I am sure there are many other facets that contribute to BN's overhead as well.

Sometimes BN is THE Vendor with THE diamond that is right for a buyer. Steph is a perfect example of that.
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 11/21/2003 10:21:48 PM pqcollectibles wrote:

Part of the inflation of price at BN (as compared to Vendors selling similar diamonds) is to cover inventory that floats around for nearly 30 days prior to return. Diamonds are not cheap inventory items especially when they aren't available for sale to other customers. .....

Sometimes BN is THE Vendor with THE diamond that is right for a buyer. Steph is a perfect example of that.
1.gif

----------------

Steph is actually a GREAT example of that, and not just because she bought her present diamond with BN, but precisely because of the scenario that PQ describes above.

Steph is on her third stone. If recollection serves, she bought two previous stones, kept each for nearly all of the 30 day window and continued to search for better stones. In that time, BN (or someone else) had inventory out to her, the stones were unavailable to sell to anyone else, and they ultimately got returned as no sale. Because of this flexibility, she happened to find the stone that best met her requirements from BN as well. But is costs companies money to allow those liberal terms....and sometimes those efforts *don't* result in a sale.

That's one of the reasons BN has the mark-up they do. Still, we've heard several other stories from WF/GOG customers who've changed their minds three times....and no restocking charges or hassles and a *better* price.

Bottom line: BN is a good company with a great reputation and a lot of services. Others can do it for you perhaps a little less expensively, but for some customers, BN is the most liberal and accommodating way to go and is worth the extra money to those customers.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
My friends fiance got her ring from BN, and it's gorgeous.

Derekinla is right about their signature series AGS000's - that's what I was looking into when I found Pricescope.

For me, one of the problems was that they don't have an upgrade policy. That's important to me (I'm currently in search of an upgrade diamond), and from what I've heard of the "shrinkage" factor, other women (or men) might be interested in upgrading in the future as well.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Aljdewey,

I know you have been in my corner ....but if anyone cares out there, I did not keep the stones the full 30 days while continuing to look for better stones. This whole process was a killer for me, I could not keep this up that long!!!

Just to clear to record......I did buy 3 stones. The first one at a local B & M. That was before pricescope. It was a flour, (I), EGL - I did not know better at the time. Later found out the proportions were horrible as well!!! When I was outside one day, I noticed my stone looking purplish. I was told the flour. was mod. I returned the stone --not because I found a better one but because I really did not like this one. THe search began again. Then I found BN. I bought a great stone and was not looking for others but decided that the (I) color was not for me. It was a 3.38 ct. stone and way too yellow for me. The stone was beautiful but I learned I needed to go for better color.

The size was fabulous !!!!! I decided to go down in size and get a better color. It is only with the last stone, since I was so gun shy already that I continued to look. I had alot of offers but nothing as nice for the price. So, there you have it. For the total newbie - like I was, having a 30 day return period is a great thing because if you didn't do all your research ahead of time (like me - shame on me - but who knew all of you were out there???)....you can still do research afterwards!!! W/o a lifetime committment!!!

Thanks AL, for all your help!!!

devittp

Rough_Rock
Hello,
Dont know if you have bought yet. I am looking for engagement ring.

I want to buy from Mondera. Do you know if they are a public
traded company. Blue Nile is.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
About the free appraisal at Blue Nile being inflated didn't happen with me. Actual my independent appraisal was a little more than BN so I don't think that is true of all free appraisal at BN.

Antignos

Rough_Rock
Here is my experience with Blur Nile! I bought 2 diamonds yesterday of which one had a great price on it. I was then called today by a sales person at Blue Nile and informed the diamond was priced wrong and I could still buy it, but I had to give them more money. I'm not sure if this is a standard practice or not. I explained I wanted the diamond I had spent hours researching or something similar for the same price. I was told no deal and to kiss off basically.

I told them I intended to put a posting on the internet detailing my experience. They didn't seem to care the least bit. I'm sure many people have good experiences with BN, but beware! Customer service and making the customer happy is NOT their main priority.

To me it seems like false advertising going on! Email me at [email protected] if you had any similar experiences!

reena

Ideal_Rock
you may consider reiterating this experience on a brand new post so that people can see it.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I just bought a 1.52 carat princess diamond from BlueNile, after doing research on diamonds and vendors for almost a year. It is well agreed that BlueNile, Mondera, Diamond.com might be little expensive, but in terms of the quality and customer service, those are rated by experts as the top online vendors. Mondera is the most expensive. BlueNile and Diamond.com are cheaper. Whiteflash.com is good too. Even though whiteflash.com seems to have relatively cheaper deals, after enormous homework, I found out that they have lots of diamonds with "Good" Polish and symmetry, and that is why the cost at whiteflash.com is relatively cheaper when compared to BlueNile. In general, I noticed after a lot of research that a diamond with "Good" Polish & Symmetry rating is a significantly cheaper than "Very Good/Excellent" Polish & symmetry. After all Polish and Symmetry tells one the amount of time the cutter spent on a particular diamond. Also, when you get a cheaper diamond, it means the cut or other proportions are not as good as it is supposed to be. Diamond dealers are not STUPID to sell good quality diamonds for cheaper price.

"If it costs cheap, it ain't that good" (inspiration: Johnny Cochran)

Either buy at a reputed local dealer, or buy at a reputed online Jewellers like BlueNile. They have 30-day money back guarantee.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results