shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue-Green Tourmaline

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love blue green tourmalines in yellow gold, so I definitely think it's an option.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous color! I love it.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
ForteKitty|1300133389|2871652 said:
kelpie|1300131210|2871611 said:
That stone is amazing. I would probably put it in a pendant as well because it's not like stones that color are a dime a dozen...if you damage it you may not find another. :cry:

totally agree! i chipped 2 tourmalines this year. That is the reason i haven't set my barry blue tourm yet... i had every intention of setting it into a 3 stone... then whack! my green one's chipped.. then another one's chipped.

but otoh, it's so pretty i can't imagine wearing on the neck and not being able to see it!

Fortekitty, sorry to hear that your tourmalines got chipped :(sad. Were they bezel set or prong set?

Does anyone know if it is safer to put a tourmaline in a ring if it is bezel set?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Atwater|1300254069|2872982 said:
ForteKitty|1300133389|2871652 said:
kelpie|1300131210|2871611 said:
That stone is amazing. I would probably put it in a pendant as well because it's not like stones that color are a dime a dozen...if you damage it you may not find another. :cry:

totally agree! i chipped 2 tourmalines this year. That is the reason i haven't set my barry blue tourm yet... i had every intention of setting it into a 3 stone... then whack! my green one's chipped.. then another one's chipped.

but otoh, it's so pretty i can't imagine wearing on the neck and not being able to see it!

Fortekitty, sorry to hear that your tourmalines got chipped :(sad. Were they bezel set or prong set?

Does anyone know if it is safer to put a tourmaline in a ring if it is bezel set?

It can still get chips on the crown facets, so it's not entirely safer, except for the girdle. Although it can get chipped during the bezeling process, and you may never know about it unless you take it out of the bezel.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s one lovely Afghan tourmaline and I hope Gene will cut more of those soon. I second/third the idea of having it bezel set in a pendant because stones like this just don’t come around often and would be heart broken to see it damaged in the future. While tourmalines can be set and worn in a ring, it can get chipped far more easily than say, a spinel or corundum. Bezeling it will only protect the girdle, leaving the crown facets exposed.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

It was prong set. I reached for a door handle, misjudged the distance and scratched it on the glass... heard a sound worse than nails on chalkboard, and realized what i did. A chunk is missing from the crown so i doubt a bezel woulda saved it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1300380580|2874035 said:

It was prong set. I reached for a door handle, misjudged the distance and scratched it on the glass... heard a sound worse than nails on chalkboard, and realized what i did. A chunk is missing from the crown so i doubt a bezel woulda saved it.

I have a big scratch on the table of my round cuprian. *sigh*

Oh well, make the Aghan from Gene into a pendant!! That's a solution.

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A) Gene did it. B) Awesome piece of tourmaline in color. = Big Win! Nice! is too sedate a word.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
stargurl78|1300234629|2872789 said:
Gorgeous color! WOW! I would probably set it in either white gold or maybe rose gold, but I don't think that blue-green color would look good in yellow gold. I would probably set it in a ring but some of the others might be right about not wanting to take the chance of damaging it.

Can't wait to see what you do with it!

I used to wear only platinum or white gold; now I am more attracted to the rich, warm tone of yellow gold. It will be yellow gold for this baby. ;))

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1300235018|2872795 said:
I love blue green tourmalines in yellow gold, so I definitely think it's an option.

Thanks, TL. I can totally see it in yellow gold as well.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
TL, Chrono, and ForteKitty,

Thank you so much for the information. I would not want to risk damaging this baby; it will be made into a pendent then. Now I need to find a style that makes me say Aha.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: Love the COLOR, OMG!! :love: The color and the cut look Stunning! Yellow or white gold would look wonderful! Do you have a preference? This is a Beautiful gem!!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to say I love this color - reminds me of the Caribbean.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results