shape
carat
color
clarity

another purple and orange themed thread

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 very lovely new stones that I've had a hell of a time photographing. We have sun yes, but well.. its been hellish.

Spessartite:
7.5 mm Cushion with a depth of 6.3mm, Medium saturation.

Cut is amazing on this stone. Its not eye clean as you'll be able to see in some of the photos. However because of how its cut, ALL of my full sun pictures look like crap. The cut throws around so much light that it washed out every single full sun picture. :nono:

So while these aren't full sun, you get a better idea of how it looks. I loved my husbands reaction to seeing it the first time. Finally a stone he liked on sight!! When I asked him what it looked like he said "it looks like a soda pop". :lol:

2nd stone is a purple tourmaline.
11.2 x 10 x 6.8 mm deep , I would say its med-light saturation.

Throws around a lot of pink/blue/red sparkles. I like that. Its absolutely NOT eye clean, but thats ok too. Purchased as a collector stone, but who knows..I may set it some day ;)) Its got a Portuguese cut which I find to be pretty. Does have a window however. I'm ok with it considering what it is. I wouldn't get this recut. Took a few pics of it with my violet tourmaline and it makes it look pretty blue. (I will post those another day)

One day I plan on getting one of the super purples tourms just because :))

P1040732.jpg

P1040678.jpg

P1040681.jpg

I am reconsidering white gold again. This morning after I put the stone in the setting below, both of us agreed that white gold isn't a bad idea but for sure a different setting (because of the basket its a bit too deep for this one) That will be next on the list.

P1040744.jpg

P1040738.jpg

Thanks for looking! :bigsmile:

-A

briolette

Shiny_Rock
that spessertite is to die for. It makes me happy just to see the color!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Arc that spess is spectacular. Really gorgeous. I love the cut, size, colour - just everything! Where on earth did you find this beauty? I can see why your hubby loves it - I do too :love: :love: :love:

Just wondering but do you think the setting (I know you're not using it) but could it be darkening the stone a bit? It looks much brighter in the first photo and if that's the case then I'd go prong all the way

LD xxx

p.s. the tourmaline isn't bad too! :D

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Arc, you can pick a mean spess! I absolutely love the cut and the color. I agree with LD about the first photo showing all the facet angles which appear a bit hidden when in the setting. But man is that one gorgeous stone! It looks like a swala stone.

If the purple tourm is the one you bought from Litnon, it seems lighter than it appeared on their website - are you finding that the color with their stones is lighter in person than in their photos?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The spess is spectacular, Arc. I could almost eat it up. I'm with Minou -- that little creature should have plenty of light. Love the Portuguese cut on the tourm, too.

--- Laurie

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all

The stone darkens slightly in the setting which I don't mind as it intensifies the color and glow quite a bit. You guys are also seeing some camera reflection as well which takes it down even further. Try as I might, it is near impossible for some of these stones to NOT get camera reflection, and I'm just not going to make a paper hole thingy..lol

After I tried it out in the setting, I decided I couldn't go with this type of setting even if the stone were to fit correctly, because I just feel the setting is way too heavy for it. So the search continues!

I'm going to let you guys guess where it came from. More fun for me. ;)) Besides it should be a very easy guess given the cut on it. :mrgreen: :saint:

The litnon stone is somewhat lighter...depending on the light you choose! I've found Michaels stones to be pretty close to what I would see on the website. Some can be a bit lighter, some can be a bit darker. But I think it would be impossible for any vendor to capture the stone for every lighting condition. It shifts colors a bit however and in some lighting conditions it can actually look kind of muddy. But being that this stuff is seldom seen in its natural state I'm ok with that. Some day I'll get that deep dark purple tourm I really want :))

-A

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I lost the "cut quiz". Are there answers in the bottom of the page?

And... er... Arcadian... how soon do you plan on selling your collector stone? Some of us have a roving eye...for orange... big-time.

Oh, the tourmaline, is very nice, too, but this orange...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say Swala

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
The spess looks yummy :lickout:
makes me craze for orange candies...

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Wowie!!!!!!
What a couple of beauties !!!!
That Spess can just light up your room can't it?

And I love the pretty purple of the Tourmaline too :love:

What lovely, lovely stones !!!!!!
And, Boy, I have to admire your picture taking skills ~ Those Spess are
so very very hard to get the color right ~ You Done Good !!!!!!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Oh my! That's just the color spess I've been looking for. They are a nice combo together!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
That spess set looks like fire.... :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arc, you're a bad girl! You asked us to guess and you're not going to tell us where? Now every where I look, I think of you and that spess - none of mine are that nice. But I'm learning to let go! I will not run out and buy a beautiful spess just 'cause...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1300065870|2871070 said:
Arc, you're a bad girl! You asked us to guess and you're not going to tell us where? Now every where I look, I think of you and that spess - none of mine are that nice. But I'm learning to let go! I will not run out and buy a beautiful spess just 'cause...

:saint:

I wouldn't do THAT! :lol: The biggest clue was in the catch all thread because I did a direct side by side. :tongue:

I saw ALOT of spess in video and in person, I asked a lot of questions to vendors, and I did a whole lot of reading before I decided on what to pull the trigger on. What I could spend was quite high (to me anyway) so I did the legwork necessary. I think though that even during that legwork you have to be realistic about what you want, what you can actually afford, and whats actually out there. So its totally not by chance I got what I did and from whom.

-A

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Nice spess Arcadian! :lickout:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks brandy.

I'm currently speaking for a two goldsmiths on etsy for possible settings. Hope to have some designs soon!

-A

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results